Salmon Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 141 Posts

· Registered
2,194 Posts
Suspect IHT.

Starmer was in breach of MP's code around the declaration of selling this land, but it was found to be minor and inadvertent.

Obviously - OBVIOUSLY - this is a bigger problem than those with the current government.
And again, £400k value, even with CGT, calculator gives it at £110k. Bit far off from whatever "error" lead to a £3.7m tax bill...

But nevermind, we'll focus on how the opposition does naughty things (just not as naughty as the things the guys in power currently do...)

· Registered
11,846 Posts
And again, £400k value, even with CGT, calculator gives it at £110k. Bit far off from whatever "error" lead to a £3.7m tax bill...

But nevermind, we'll focus on how the opposition does naughty things (just not as naughty as the things the guys in power currently do...)
When the only defence left is whataboutery - not, look at all the great things that this government has achieved, just 'what about...' - it's the sound of the barrel being scraped.

· Registered
5,035 Posts
Asking for a friend - what happens if you buy a field costing peanuts in 1996 for your parents who subsequently die and then sell the field for £400k in 2022. Are there IHT implications or are ther CGT implications?
Depends on what the land is used for.
No IHT on agricultural land. There would be lots of farms being broken up otherwise.
It was the issue with death duties in days gone by, lots of broke land owners. Inherit a castle in Scotland and need to find a gazillion pounds to settle up.

· Registered
5,035 Posts
Will he believe the numbers?

YouGov found 51% of people surveyed believe he should step down, compared to just 12% who think he should stay in his role.

Mr Zahawi helped launch YouGov in 2000. Started in his garden shed, it now employs more than 400 people across three continents. His own website boasts that YouGov became famous for the “accuracy of its political polling”.

· Registered
11,846 Posts
PM’s questions might be worth a watching today. 😂
I'm getting fed up of that too. For a man that stood up and told us he'd be all about restoring honesty and integrity to politics, Sunak is Poundshop Johnson during PMQs. Better dressed, but same old deflection, doesn't go near even attempting to answer the question, the Speaker doesn't make him...

Politics shouldn't be entertaining. I want to know the answers to the questions, and so do the public right now. He'd earn his party some of their goodwill back if he actually answered the questions last week on ambulance waiting times, because they're not a joke. The job of the opposition is to hold them to scrutiny, keep them in check. PMQs should be a way of doing that.

But nope. We'll get another show of whataboutery, non-sequiturs, empty slogans, ending with a painful rhyming couplet. We can all take a shot of bleach everytime he mentions 'delivering on the people's priorities', 'union paymasters' and 'if it was up to him WE'D still be in lockdown!' (cue howls of delight from the morons at the back).

It's a total ****show.

· Registered
5,035 Posts
Its sad that so few of the Nolan principles can be readily ticked off against so many of our politicians. How many would you give Zahawi?

The principles were Selflessness, Integrity, Objectivity, Accountability, Openness, Honesty and Leadership.

Reactions: Safranfoer

· Registered
11,846 Posts
Here , or in the chamber ?
Both. Anyone who watches it and comes out thinking, yeah, Sunak did a good job there just has a fundamentally different expectation of what being a leader means. Imagine if your boss behaved like that in meetings. Imagine if I stood up in meetings when under pressure from a client and screeched, "But while we're talking about sliding deadlines, let's not forget that YOU didn't deliver the brief on time, YOU didn't give the amends on time and YOU didn't align with the media agency. While YOU dither and delay, WE DELIVERRRRRRR!" There's just no other context that the defensive hostile shrieking is acceptable.

· Registered
511 Posts
Both. Anyone who watches it and comes out thinking, yeah, Sunak did a good job there just has a fundamentally different expectation of what being a leader means. Imagine if your boss behaved like that in meetings. Imagine if I stood up in meetings when under pressure from a client and screeched, "But while we're talking about sliding deadlines, let's not forget that YOU didn't deliver the brief on time, YOU didn't give the amends on time and YOU didn't align with the media agency. While YOU dither and delay, WE DELIVERRRRRRR!" There's just no other context that the defensive hostile shrieking is acceptable.
But have we not ended up with what the media thinks we want?
The 24 hour news programmes need 'stuff" to fill the time, PMQs becomes just that, it has nothing what so ever to do with running the country it is nothing but pure theatre to amuse the masses through the media.

· Registered
11,846 Posts
The 24 hour news programmes need 'stuff" to fill the time, PMQs becomes just that, it has nothing what so ever to do with running the country it is nothing but pure theatre to amuse the masses through the media.
I don't know. It's certainly true that commentators will report in disappointing tones of a 'flat performance' by Johnson, or Sunak, when what they really mean is, they didn't scoop warm excrement from the back of their own trousers, hurl it at the leader of the opposition then swing from the light fittings with a burst vein in their temple from all the screeching.

Corbyn didn't stand a chance for many reasons, but one of them was, he asked thoughtful questions in a non-aggressive way in PMQs. Starmer's style has had to change. You might be right. We get the leaders we apparently deserve, because leadership = shouting and being unpleasant, to too many people.

· Registered
13,155 Posts
I think its even worse than that. Its driven my social media and much of what is said by all involved is just scripted soundbites to feed in to twitter etc. the sooner we outlaw all political parties the better. We dont need 650 elected braying idiots and God knows how many unelected old gits to run a country. 300 decent MP's paid twice as much and 100 elected senators in an upper house. Bring in PR and reform and modernise the constitution. Write laws we need in a language we understand.

· Registered
11,846 Posts
"Prime Minister, the UK's healthcare system, criminal justice system, economy, growth, professional standards and global reputation have all tanked on your government's watch."
"Yeah but no but the right honourable member for Islington tho - am I bovvered?"

(I watched PMQs so you don't have to)

· Registered
511 Posts
I think its even worse than that. Its driven my social media and much of what is said by all involved is just scripted soundbites to feed in to twitter etc. the sooner we outlaw all political parties the better. We dont need 650 elected braying idiots and God knows how many unelected old gits to run a country. 300 decent MP's paid twice as much and 100 elected senators in an upper house. Bring in PR and reform and modernise the constitution. Write laws we need in a language we understand.
I thought for a moment you were going to make the hugely sensible suggestion to outlaw Twitter etc.
The problem is not the MPs, everyone gets the chance to choose their man/ woman/ undecided at the election, but the media, both mainstream and social distort the choice. If I choose a Labour/ Conservative Candidate to represent where I live I am not selecting Starmer or Sunak to be P.M. that is not my decision. There is far too much American influence, it is not a Prime Ministerial Election.

· Registered
5,386 Posts
I thought for a moment you were going to make the hugely sensible suggestion to outlaw Twitter etc.
The problem is not the MPs, everyone gets the chance to choose their man/ woman/ undecided at the election, but the media, both mainstream and social distort the choice. If I choose a Labour/ Conservative Candidate to represent where I live I am not selecting Starmer or Sunak to be P.M. that is not my decision. There is far too much American influence, it is not a Prime Ministerial Election.
No they dont.
I want none of the above.
I dont want their divisive, partisan politics.
I want someone that will represent my specific area and needs.
Not someone who will do what ever my not chosen, unelected by me or the general public, whip tells then to because their not chosen by the general public, leader tells what to do.
Now you could say that i voted for what ever election manifesto, but for that to be relevant, we really need some legal strength to ensure manifestos are delivered rather than false promised.

· Registered
13,155 Posts
The trouble is you dont get to choose your man/woman/etc. The whole show has been taken over by the parties who can place who they want in to safe seats sure in the knowledge that "Labour/Conservative/SNP/etc Voters" will all line up and vote for "their" party. The first past the post system just reinforces this. This crowds out non partisan independents who might actually represent their constituents rather than be a party stooge. Party allegiance becomes generational as children are indoctrinated by their patents and the whole sorry s*it show continues ad infinitem.

41 - 60 of 141 Posts