Salmon Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 141 Posts

· Registered
11,846 Posts
I’m not sure this level of constant rotten behaviour with flash points of actual corruption is something any opposition dares to dream of. How have so many people of such poor character and/or judgement ended up in government? And why aren’t they trying to sort it out? Don’t they want to be re-elected? Where’s the party discipline?

· Registered
5,386 Posts
I’m not sure this level of constant rotten behaviour with flash points of actual corruption is something any opposition dares to dream of. How have so many people of such poor character and/or judgement ended up in government? And why aren’t they trying to sort it out? Don’t they want to be re-elected? Where’s the party discipline?
A fish rots from the head down.
For me this is still symptoms of the absolute incompetence of Bojo.
Combined with a totally fractured party where the less morals you have, be that corruption, bullying or blackmailing helps you get to the top.

The scary thing is that its got that bad, that the public have become used to it and nearly accepting of it.

I dont think zahawi will go until the Star gets its lettuce out.

· Registered
145 Posts
I think they know they have little chance in the next election and that some of those in government are only interested in themselves. Alternatively they all know how dire the situation is and that labour will not be in a position to improve things leaving the door open in 28/29 for a return to power.

· Registered
5,211 Posts
If he had still been chancellor, he could probably have invented a new rule which meant he was OK and didn't have to pay any tax or fines.

I love politicians.

Honest, trustworthy, full of integrity and always putting the country's interests ahead of their own.

· Registered
5,386 Posts

· Registered
11,846 Posts
Meanwhile this story almost slipped under public gaze:
My neck of the wood. He was expelled from the Labour Party prior to this. PARTY DISCIPLINE.

He's absolutely vile as a human.

· Registered
2,194 Posts
Meanwhile this story almost slipped under public gaze:
Oo £30,000... Scary...

Lots of money to people, but nothing in the order tory chums seem to benefit from. Getting jobs for their mistresses and school pals and all that.

As Dee pointed out, he was expelled from his party for that and at least that payment was stopped. Get your mistress a job, paying half of that in 6 months*, and you get your boss's approval and support.

*Correction - £15,000 for 15 days work

· Registered
11,846 Posts

If you read about him, it's another baffling example of how people completely ill-suited to power end up in power. I have no idea how he got on Labour's selection list, let alone sitting as an MP. They did act quickly, removing the whip in October 2017 when he only took the seat in June 2017 (it wasn't for the cocaine expenses - it was homophobia and misogyny) - but look at the man! Ridiculous.

Speaking charitably, it's clear he has issues.

· Registered
11,846 Posts
In defense I did say ALMOST. Interestingly you have to wade through the BBC report to establish that he was a Labour MP.
Because he wasn't at the time of the crime. He was an Independent, and lost the whip 5 years ago. It would be more misleading to try and position him as a Labour MP, when they dealt with him years ago and he only sat as a Labour MP for 4 months.

· Registered
2,194 Posts
In defense I did say ALMOST. Interestingly you have to wade through the BBC report to establish that he was a Labour MP.
Because the fact that he was a former Labour MP has no impact to his expenses claims?

As Dee mentioned (feel like I'm saying that a lot), he had been suspended in October 2017 after less than 6 months. He was briefly reinstated in July 2018 for 9 days before announcing his leaving of the Labour Party.

The expenses are dated June and August 2019, when he had been an independent for effectively a year and a half, of which (if you read his history, which to be fair no news agent seems to be mentioning) he wasn't actually sitting in parliament or holding surgeries for his constituents.

Maybe the real lesson we should take from all of this, is that it should be easier to force MPs to resign...

· Registered
3,645 Posts
Asking for a friend - what happens if you buy a field costing peanuts in 1996 for your parents who subsequently die and then sell the field for £400k in 2022. Are there IHT implications or are ther CGT implications?

· Registered
11,846 Posts
Asking for a friend - what happens if you buy a field costing peanuts in 1996 for your parents who subsequently die and then sell the field for £400k in 2022. Are there IHT implications or are ther CGT implications?
Suspect IHT.

Starmer was in breach of MP's code around the declaration of selling this land, but it was found to be minor and inadvertent.

Obviously - OBVIOUSLY - this is a bigger problem than those with the current government.

Actually. No. He'd pay both IHT and CGT if the asset was transferred to him after his folks died and he didn't sell it immediately. But I think it was transferred to him before they died, so just CGT?

· Registered
3,645 Posts
Suspect IHT.

Starmer was in breach of MP's code around the declaration of selling this land, but it was found to be minor and inadvertent.

Obviously - OBVIOUSLY - this is a bigger problem than those with the current government.
You may well be right in that Starmer was "Careless" in his declaration of interests and tomorrows PMQ's will be worthy of a front seat. I'm stocking up on popcorn. ;)

21 - 40 of 141 Posts