Salmon Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

· Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok no sign of any woodcock today, and i definitely cannot blame my dog as he really got stuck in, he's shattered now and asleep in front of the fire. Ah well i think i'll go down the estuary next week on my clubs wildfowling ground.

· Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Dog and I had an armed walk today over some absolutely perfect Woodcock ground, which has been untouched by anybody else. No sign of any woodcock at all, there don't seem to be any in my corner of West Wales. Celt worked well. Yet other places throughout the UK are seeing good numbers. Very strange!

· Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nice picture Craigfly.
There are a lot of foxes around us this year, there is a lot of calling at night at the moment a fair symphony every evening! The fox gun pack used to shoot two woodlands near us until the land changed hands, they haven't been here for at least 2 years, is it making a difference?? Also larger numbers of birds of prey around where i live. A contributing factor to fewer woodcock?

· Registered
13 Posts
Nice picture Craigfly.
There are a lot of foxes around us this year, there is a lot of calling at night at the moment a fair symphony every evening! The fox gun pack used to shoot two woodlands near us until the land changed hands, they haven't been here for at least 2 years, is it making a difference?? Also larger numbers of birds of prey around where i live. A contributing factor to fewer woodcock?
Are your birds local or migration birds?

· Registered
13,155 Posts
Been a but busy with floods etc but popped out last night for a duck flight. I normally only shoot a couple and then sit and watch them come in as I like ducks but rarely want to pluck more than 2 at a time. I shot like an idiot, my lab earned his dinner on a tricky wounded bird and I ended up with 3 as i shot 2 with one shot!! I missed more than i would care to admit to! It was a very strong flight despite there being flooded fields everywhere. Even shooting as badly as I did I could have easily shot a dozen.

Hopefully get another go at Woodcock before the end of the month and I'll probably try and get a couple of drake mallard on the 31st.

· Registered
11,722 Posts
Been a but busy with floods etc but popped out last night for a duck flight. I normally only shoot a couple and then sit and watch them come in as I like ducks but rarely want to pluck more than 2 at a time. I shot like an idiot, my lab earned his dinner on a tricky wounded bird and I ended up with 3 as i shot 2 with one shot!! I missed more than i would care to admit to! It was a very strong flight despite there being flooded fields everywhere. Even shooting as badly as I did I could have easily shot a dozen.

Hopefully get another go at Woodcock before the end of the month and I'll probably try and get a couple of drake mallard on the 31st.
Well as you have a spare, send it up here Andrew, don't mind a bit of plucking!! :p

I was eyeing up half a dozen mallard thinking about pairing up on the banks of the Don this afternoon. Erin had her dummy in her mouth, had she not I might have sent her out for a sneaky live' retrieve.......(y):p

· Registered
13,155 Posts
Well as you have a spare, send it up here Andrew, don't mind a bit of plucking!! :p

I was eyeing up half a dozen mallard thinking about pairing up on the banks of the Don this afternoon. Erin had her dummy in her mouth, had she not I might have sent her out for a sneaky live' retrieve.......(y):p
I gave the spare to my parents I'm afraid! These are mine now;

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

A bit of surgery on one wing due to my poor shooting but the bits will go in the stock. Livers badly damaged but No3 steel shot has that effect!

· Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hunted some new ground yesterday, ideal woodcock habitat which has not been shot by anyone else, and again saw only 1, not suitable to get a shot off. Glad others have had some sport.

· Registered
5,817 Posts
I was out on Wednesday on the moor edge drives above Bolton Castle in Wensleydale. Dozens of woodcock - we don’t shoot them currently - most of them a very good size, and one extremely small one.
Meanwhile the pheasants presented a stern test in a 30+ mph wind, icy squalls and penetrating rain. Once they abandoned their chosen flight lines and turned downwind their speed was extreme, probably approaching 50. A wonderful day’s sport despite the weather, indeed I didn’t really notice it much.

· Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Something else worth noting, i used to see Woodcock returning to their woods whilst walking the dog as it was dawning. I haven't seen one for two years, where as i used to see them weekly!

21 - 40 of 76 Posts