Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When or if we get a vaccine or those that survive, have immunity from this virus,will it change your life?
Will we/you look at life in a different way.
Will we no longer take things for granted?
Will we no longer see it as a chore to go and visit friends or family?
Will we be more appreciative of our outdoor pursuits like fishing?
Will we look after ourselves and our environment better?

There are many many more questions that we should ask ourselves and take action to change our ways hopefully for the better.

· Registered
5,038 Posts
When or if we get a vaccine or those that survive, have immunity from this virus,will it change your life?
Will we/you look at life in a different way.
Will we no longer take things for granted?
Will we no longer see it as a chore to go and visit friends or family?
Will we be more appreciative of our outdoor pursuits like fishing?
Will we look after ourselves and our environment better?

There are many many more questions that we should ask ourselves and take action to change our ways hopefully for the better.
An interesting topic SOS.
Ive had a couple discussions around this recently.
I certainly think the world will be a diffent place when this is over.
There will be a profound affect on individuals through loss of loved ones.
The topic of impact on the economy has been discussed on the coronovirus thread and whilst it cannot be fully understood at present will no doubt have a financial impact on most of us.

With regard community spirit, there will no doubt be more "me first" from some quarters, but in general, around me at least, there seems to be a change in behaviours for the positive. Neighbours out walking seem more inclined to stop for a chat, while maintaining social distancing, to offer support to each other, etc. There seems to be more tolerance of others whilst out shopping or walking.
Whether this will persist post 'lock down' who knows.

Personally, I'm starting to evaluate what I have in my life and what is important, less in material terms, more with regard the simpler things that you take for granted. Seeing family and friends, going for a walk or drive, a pint in the pub. And it goes without saying, fishing.

Try the chorus of Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchel.

Reactions: billy fish

· Administrator
2,819 Posts
I probably will not be a fishing guide any longer. Too many bad years and losing money on all my licensing and insurances. This year cements the deal, prior to this it was just poor numbers of fish.

I will no longer believe for an instant that America can respond to disasters other than military responses. This freak show is nothing like the movies or TV where competent people take decisive action and America is saved. Utter nonsense and all any person need do is to tune to the new reality TV show "commander & chief" on any news network to learn how totally screwed things are.

Just some observations......

· Registered
5,038 Posts
I probably will not be a fishing guide any longer. Too many bad years and losing money on all my licensing and insurances. This year cements the deal, prior to this it was just poor numbers of fish.

I will no longer believe for an instant that America can respond to disasters other than military responses. This freak show is nothing like the movies or TV where competent people take decisive action and America is saved. Utter nonsense and all any person need do is to tune to the new reality TV show "commander & chief" on any news network to learn how totally screwed things are.

Sorry to hear the opening paragraph. A harsh reality.
Was just posting elsewhere that there will be a significant impact on spend for leisure after this has passed.
I was musing on the future of professional sport. I can imagine joe public having less disposable income to spend watching sport. Also sponsorship will reduce as companies tighten their belts.
Profound ramifications.

· Registered
1,365 Posts
It’s hard to know what will change. I fly a lot on business but I think I will do less of that and more video calling on MSteams which works very well.
I will definitely appreciate ‘normal’ things more like going to the pub, a walk, time with friends and family.

I do hope people become less selfish and maybe we will all think a bit more about the environment and the impact man is having on the planet

· Registered
4,153 Posts
As much as I’d like to think so, I doubt it. Whilst there may well be a short-lived change of attitude and behaviour, I suspect things will revert pretty quickly.

I’d like to think I personally may change - and maybe I will a little and be more neighbourly and appreciate the simpler things - but I’ll probably revert pretty quickly too!

Oscar.

· Registered
5,408 Posts

Sad to hear that Ard, if you ever make it over here I could show you round the greatest city in the empire that was and take you to some nice trout rivers that used to be salmon rivers. :)

· Administrator
2,819 Posts
Just because I will stop spending thousands of dollars for all my requirements for commercial guiding doesn't mean that any of you fellows who ever fancy seeing this place can't reach out to me to help you get the most from a visit. I'll still have my boat and gear just no commercial licenses to charge people which is good news for anyone I take out as a friend.

There are still salmon here but there are more people than available fish in some cases. It's still a beautiful place to see and you'll still catch a salmon or two but it's no longer good enough for me to ask daily fees. About 4 years ago it started to become embarrassing because people expect a lot from Alaska and my rivers couldn't produce. Made me feel bad and I began taking fewer clients each year since....

I'll post a few soon as ice is out and they come in :)

· Registered
5,388 Posts
Hopefully it makes everyone appreciate their elderly and the fact they only have a wee while left.
It's our duty to make that time as well spent as possible.
25 years ago, my dad had a bad stroke, which he recovered from.
However it made me realise I could loose my parents at any time.
I made sure for the next 20 years, I talked to them every day I could.
They appreciated it and really missed the contact when I was travelling.
I'd give anything to still be able to do that, but unfortunately they've gone now.

Hopefully a lot of people use this as a wake up call, to make the most while they still can.

· Registered
1,589 Posts
I am not confident that we won't do anything different and just go back to doing exactly what we were doing before the outbreak.
We are in a digital age of instant gratification and worldwide mobility and you can see it just now from those trying to either bend lockdown rules or just plainly ignore them that even if you change there are many others that won't.

· Registered
7,324 Posts
Sad to hear that Ard, if you ever make it over here I could show you round the greatest city in the empire that was and take you to some nice trout rivers that used to be salmon rivers. :)
There might be a competing claim for Greatest City of the Empire. TBH I have always looked on the Scousers and the Weegie as basically pretty much the same:) They don't talk the same language of course, that's the biggest difference. Anyway the SDWMP will be relocating the Houses of Parliament and splitting it between the 2 Greatest Cities of the Empire.

· Registered
5,408 Posts
There might be a competing claim for Greatest City of the Empire. TBH I have always looked on the Scousers and the Weedge as basically pretty much the same:) They don't talk the same language of course, that's the biggest difference. Anyway the SDWMP will be relocating the Houses of Parliament and splitting it between the 2 Greatest Cities of the Empire.
We could do with a vid of a front loader doing the pogo hopefully as minister for propaganda you can oblige

The public need to know we have not gone away, just waiting in the wings :)

· Registered
9,725 Posts
I will no longer believe for an instant that America can respond to disasters other than military responses.
Really, Ard??
America has had plenty of warning. Ties in with Trump blaming Abama for the country not being prepared but a little bit further back with a different political viewpoint.

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/0q43uum1hvk2khq/BushVideo.mp4?dl=0[/video]

George Bush a visionary????
Who would have thought?:)

· Registered
10,083 Posts

· Registered
2,015 Posts
Apart from the obvious financial issues for a lot ,if not most people, the retail sector (of which I am part) will have real issues with social distancing, and people will be very reluctant to venture back, and likewise with the staff working there, very difficult to be optimistic. Sporting events will be very different, cannot see crowds flooding back, even when the doors are reopened, just a very different world, if and when a vaccine is available, we may get back to something like we were before, but it will be some months, if not years away. At least when we get let out, we can fish again, I am really starting to miss the glorious outdoors, and the opportunities just to be surrounded by nothing but nature!
peter

· Registered
2,759 Posts
From the health sector view point we see ourselves having to protect the vulnerable list for many many months. Masks will become a normal part of working life for a while.

Possibly we might see lower incidences of d&v bugs, normal viral infection etc if people continue the proper hand cleaning and being a bit cleaner with their habits in general.

· Registered
18 Posts
The panic over the virus has already done more damage than the virus itself, and will do even more.
People just like to panic and obsess over anything these days. COVID-19 will still be around in five year's time.

Take Canada drugs Vitamin D, wash your hands and keep calm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.