Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Which Rage For The Oracle 12'9" Number 8 Scandi

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  budge 
#1 ·
I posted in the thread about this rod but thought it might not get seen. Does anybody know which Airflo Rage Compact would work on this rod. Floating all touch and go casting. Thinking a 510 but not sure.

Thanks for any help, Leo.

#4 · (Edited)
Which Rage For The Oracle 12'9" Number 8 Scandi

I use a 570 on the 13.9 which casts well, so sounds about right. I would be interested to know as I have a 12.9 also.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
I'm using the 600gr on the 13ft 9 and it's fine (so basically you can go heavier too - I chose heavier because the line is mainly for my "posh" rod and the Scandi rod is the "spare" :D)

Line weights are here : So if you think about Rage being between Scandi & Skagit, 494 - 500gr for the 12ft er

Also:
Which Oracle to match #9/10 lines?

#6 ·
I'm using the 600gr on the 13ft 9 and it's fine (so basically you can go heavier too - I chose heavier because the line is mainly for my "posh" rod and the Scandi rod is the "spare" :D)

Line weights are here : So if you think about Rage being between Scandi & Skagit, 494 - 500gr for the 12ft er

Also:
Which Oracle to match #9/10 lines?
It's funny because I bought the 570 rage head and on a visit to John Norris shop I found a 600 rage head out of the "kit" that was going very cheap so had to be bought [emoji23] I didn't notice any difference when casting with polylyeaders, so weighed them both and they were the same ! The rage kit weight obviously includes the tip in the total. I have since bought one of the JNorris NI 1 heads in 600 gr which casts great with the 13.9 scandi rod. This line does look very similar to a rage head in profile so maybe a worthwhile alternative and only £20 !
As you can probably gather I'm a bit of a bargain hunter and fly line collector [emoji2]
Best item I bought recently was a set of small digital scales of fleabay, weigh in grams, grains, ounces, up to 500 grams and all for £6.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I've got a floating and a inty head for that rod. They are 510 and 540 and are easy to cast. I permanently fixed the running line on and it casts better than with loops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.