Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Dee Catchment Partnership
Umbrella body representing, coordinating and working for the interests of everyone involved with the River Dee in north east Scotland. The catchment of the River Dee and its 17 major tributaries covers over 2000 km2 of north-east Scotland...

Thanks to mention by SOS, G. Knollington et al in the September 2021 slice of the 'Tagged Smolts Detected at Sea' discussion, here is the Dee Catchment Partnership link ...an good,interesting read; www.deepartnership.org

This policy and effort is common to many conservation bodies...

How much is shared amongst such as WUF, Game + Wildlife Conservation trust, S&TA etc as well as with the EA and our various Governments/ Assemblies?
What is making progress so slow...or is it?

· Registered
2,770 Posts
Maybe if the salmon could survive in the Thames, they would be a high as kites on cocaine.??‍??
I remember a while back (years) there was a report about salom returning to the Thames. Does anyone know of any recent work to assess numbers? I suspect very low but it would be interesting to know what the numbers are and what the trend is like.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
I remember a while back (years) there was a report about salom returning to the Thames. Does anyone know of any recent work to assess numbers? I suspect very low but it would be interesting to know what the numbers are and what the trend is like.
Basically As far as I know they have given up, after extracting all that dosh out of companies to pay for the weir's, to assist the passage of the non existent salmon migration , they will wait until they get the new pipeline through and connected up To prove the Thames is clean enough for salmon To joe public.

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nicholas ... spot on .. winner of the Thames Sham Salmon award. From 1975-79 £3million expended installing Scottish 'hatchery' salmon stock and some naturals from the Delphi led to rave reports of 'hundreds' surging upstream to...? in the early 80's until none were found by 2005.
Thereafter it became clear that such untagged fish to be found idling in the river were prospectors from the Itchen or other Southern rivers...probably the sort that Thames water should have started with.
Since about 2011 it seems that interest in salmon reaching and breeding in the Thames has diminished...perhaps because, as you suggest, no one wants to pay anyone to find out just how the 'improvement ' in the lower , main stem of 40 years ago has dwindled. A pity since the hard work of such as The Wandle Piscators , praised by Peter Lapsley and The Thames River Trust amongst others has been dogged and impressive...and the sort of work that would please a broody salmon.
S.Salar and sea trout will be in it but in spite of rather than because of the recent priorities of TW which is about flushing storm water, enhancing customer inclusion and such as ''Ensuring responsible operations. We will operate our sites responsibly whilst respecting our neighbours, local communities and the environment. We will find safe opportunities to make our sites available for community use''
Let's hope that when the ring main is finished in 2-3 years that things improve .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.