Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a wee problem with 1 line which I have when making welded loops using hair straightners. It doesnt want to give me a good solid loop which I get with the int/s1 which seem to be no problem!! The coating will not fuse together properly after heating and rolling inside the shrink tube. The line is a Guideling power taper floating (yellow and green in colour). Has anybody else had this problem with either this line or any other floaters? Im wondering if the line has been treated to aid it float which is impairing the weld. I have a rio afs to weld as well and need to make sure this can be done before I do that line. I am using the cut off for testing and havnt went straight at the line 1st.

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yip thats whats happening. Ive just had a go at the AFS got the same problem but not as bad. Ive strengthend the loop with a whipping and Ill give the whole lot a coating of Aquasure.

· Registered
387 Posts
Fly lines, whether they be constructed out of PU or PVC are very good insulators of heat. The problem with floaters is that they are a lot larger in diameter than sinkers and therefore the lack of heat transfer becomes a problem when using hair straighteners which only make contact on two surfaces.

If you can get hold of a heat gun with a diffuser then perhaps you could try that and see how you get on.

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fly lines, whether they be constructed out of PU or PVC are very good insulators of heat. The problem with floaters is that they are a lot larger in diameter than sinkers and therefore the lack of heat transfer becomes a problem when using hair straighteners which only make contact on two surfaces.

If you can get hold of a heat gun with a diffuser then perhaps you could try that and see how you get on.
I think youve hit the nail on the head mate cheers. I ve just tried usiing a lighter whilst I know this would be to hot a heat there was a greater weld made when I didnt fry the practise section.

· Registered
5,864 Posts

I think youve hit the nail on the head mate cheers. I ve just tried usiing a lighter whilst I know this would be to hot a heat there was a greater weld made when I didnt fry the practise section.
You have got the problem. You need a spread of heat for floaters which you can make sure reaches the inside and melts it. If you have not got a heat gun use a tealight candle, it is much more easy to control than a lighter, and take it gently as you fuse the strands.

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have got the problem. You need a spread of head for floaters which you can make sure reaches the inside and melts it. If you have not got a heat gun use a tealight candle, it is much more easy to control than a lighter, and take it gently as you fuse the strands.
Im thinking about just using braided loops as Ive lost the confidence in doing the Job myself!! I dont have anyone that I know near at hand to ask them if they could do the loops for me.

· Registered
5,864 Posts
Anybody know where to get those little hobby air guns from that I've seen in videos for welded loops?

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wish I was closer I would take up that offer:(
Sorry to rub it in Gwelsher, but this is 1 offer which again shows Scannys true colours! A gent, he has on a number of occasions helped me 1 way or another and I cant wait till I meet him and say thanks. His style of casting is only something I can only hope to get close to.

· Registered
5,864 Posts
Sorry to rub it in Gwelsher, but this is 1 offer which again shows Scannys true colours! A gent, he has on a number of occasions helped me 1 way or another and I cant wait till I meet him and say thanks. His style of casting is only something I can only hope to get close to.
:mad::cool::mad::cool:
Enjoy

· Registered
535 Posts
Welded Loop Problem

It does take a little practice to make good welded loops but it is well worth perservering. I use a hot air gun which cost about £10 fom ALDI. B & Q probably do one. Mine is 2000W and has 2 variable heat settings 80-300C and 80-600C. You only need the low range and its better to start with a low setting and gradually increase the the heat. My gun was supplied with a nozzle to concentrate the heat to about 13mm diameter.
Good instuctions can be found here:
http://www.nwsalmonflyguild.org/inst/Welding a Loop.pdf

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.