Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago in late April I was fishing the Tummel and I saw a guy spraying his cascade double with WD40. I could hardly believe my eyes. I have never understood why someone would do this?

Cheers,

DS

· Registered
11,722 Posts
Oooh, matron!:laugh:

Makes your tackle nice and slippery!

I take it you know that WD40 is based on fish oil? Some of the sea fishing guys swear by spraying it on their baits.

· Registered
2,759 Posts
Its been proven that the fish oil ingredient is a myth. Was very common with lure anglers and as you say sea anglers. If you're going to go down this route you'll be better looking at coarse angling dips and sprays. Halibut, green lipped mussel, salmon oil etc etc.

· Registered
11,722 Posts
Its been proven that the fish oil ingredient is a myth. Was very common with lure anglers and as you say sea anglers. If you're going to go down this route you'll be better looking at coarse angling dips and sprays. Halibut, green lipped mussel, salmon oil etc etc.
Thanks for that....everything I ever read or heard said it was.

Am away to rummage about for my can of it for a proper look! Great stuff but personally I hate the smell.

· Registered
2,759 Posts
Wd40 not the best thing for reels either. It'll strip the grease out. So great for cleaning the reel prior to regreasing the workings but not best to leave it sitting on your bearings or gearing.

· Registered
11,722 Posts
Wd40 not the best thing for reels either. It'll strip the grease out. So great for cleaning the reel prior to regreasing the workings but not best to leave it sitting on your bearings or gearing.
That I did know, Piker. I use it to strip out the bearings on my multi's each season prior to giving them a nice coat of Rocket Fuel!;)

· Registered
570 Posts
WD 40 Horrible Stuff

WD is basically a penetrating oil, which because of its viscosity , as Piker correctly said, thins out other oils.
This maybe the effect it has on baits, as it thins out, carries, and spreads other oil based scents within the original baits.
If it had any real attractant power, why do they not spray a piece of sponge with WD, and put that on the hook? :sad:
Many mechanics use to hate it as it use to rot any electrical components it was used on / ( Perishes rubber quite quickly.).

For reels, High speed like multipliers, rocket fuels are good, but expensive for what they are....thin lubricating oils.( Viscosity isn't always a good guide, as Hydraulic oils are thin, but don't have the lubricating properties of a designated lubricating oil, graphite, etc.).
I use 'Singer sewing machine oil', cheap as chips on fleabay, and comes in a very handy small squeezy bottle with along thin spout...ideal for dropping one, or two, drops into very small bearings.
For any low rotational speed applications, where pressure between bearing faces is the main factor... Crown gears, etc. Grease !
I have several exotic choices available, being in engineering, but a, small tub, of standard ' Lithium Grease' out of halfords will last you several lifetimes ! Salt resistant so good for the sea as well.
You still need to change it regularly tho. That is the main thing, same as oil changing your car !
And don't slap too much on !
I personally use Black Moly...messy but very effective, with superb lube properties, sticks like the proverbial, doesn't really suffer cold, or congealing, but does need regularly applications, because it can spread / throw.
Cleaning out old grease...paraffin...or diesel if you can stand the pong, and a stiff paintbrush, Q tips !

Bait additives... Van den Eynde ..'Liquid Pellet' ( Basically a very thin fish oil, think Pilchard-ish ?), used to be very effective. ( Gets bl**dy everywhere though, and just when you think its gone...it rains and you can smell it all over your gear / Car / clothing, again !).
Also the nash 'Skopex', ( Squid Oil ), was very popular, and I had all my Cod on squid this year ?

Hope that helps !

mel.....

· Registered
2,759 Posts
Good for removing road tar off your car. Spray, leave, wipe off, rinse.

· Registered
412 Posts
WD is basically a penetrating oil, which because of its viscosity , as Piker correctly said, thins out other oils.
This maybe the effect it has on baits, as it thins out, carries, and spreads other oil based scents within the original baits.
If it had any real attractant power, why do they not spray a piece of sponge with WD, and put that on the hook? :sad:
Many mechanics use to hate it as it use to rot any electrical components it was used on / ( Perishes rubber quite quickly.).

For reels, High speed like multipliers, rocket fuels are good, but expensive for what they are....thin lubricating oils.( Viscosity isn't always a good guide, as Hydraulic oils are thin, but don't have the lubricating properties of a designated lubricating oil, graphite, etc.).
I use 'Singer sewing machine oil', cheap as chips on fleabay, and comes in a very handy small squeezy bottle with along thin spout...ideal for dropping one, or two, drops into very small bearings.
For any low rotational speed applications, where pressure between bearing faces is the main factor... Crown gears, etc. Grease !
I have several exotic choices available, being in engineering, but a, small tub, of standard ' Lithium Grease' out of halfords will last you several lifetimes ! Salt resistant so good for the sea as well.
You still need to change it regularly tho. That is the main thing, same as oil changing your car !
And don't slap too much on !
I personally use Black Moly...messy but very effective, with superb lube properties, sticks like the proverbial, doesn't really suffer cold, or congealing, but does need regularly applications, because it can spread / throw.
Cleaning out old grease...paraffin...or diesel if you can stand the pong, and a stiff paintbrush, Q tips !

Bait additives... Van den Eynde ..'Liquid Pellet' ( Basically a very thin fish oil, think Pilchard-ish ?), used to be very effective. ( Gets bl**dy everywhere though, and just when you think its gone...it rains and you can smell it all over your gear / Car / clothing, again !).
Also the nash 'Skopex', ( Squid Oil ), was very popular, and I had all my Cod on squid this year ?

Hope that helps !

mel.....
Mel , I had no idea WD40 was so corrosive to rubber and electrical components . I am renovating a classic Suzuki at the moment and I did buy dedicated switch and contact cleaner for it but would have also used WD40 without a thought so this info will save me a load of money in the longrun .

· Registered
412 Posts
I had a mate at work who had severe arthritis in his ankle . He had read an article where an American had a similar condition and sprayed WD40 on his ankle daily , so Paul started doing the same for at least 6 months .
He ended up having his ankle permanently stiffened . I bet his bed stunk.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.