Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a decent wading jacket, and have seen the GAC have the Simms G3 guide orange camo jacket at £266 has any one have any experience with this jacket
Was also looking at the Patagonia river salt 3 in 1 jacket if it's worth paying the extra for this?

· Registered
5,818 Posts
Bulmer,

you don't have to pay anywhere near that sort of money to get a good jacket. Indeed, there's no point spending over £250 unless you fish more than 30 days per year; or work in the City; or are a habitual consumer of Roderer's Crystal.

I recently spent 6 months researching the whole of the wading jacket market, which is catalogued in posts on Just One Week: the Great Jacket Hunt Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3 and the final section of Terminator. Over the past year I have tried just about everything out there. I now have a £380 Patagonia SST that I acquired for £200. Would I pay full price for it? In a word, no. Did the Simms G4 give me a warm glow and rock me on my heels? Certainly not.

You can get everything you need for under £150. You can always spend your savings on Crystal 2004.

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Yes.

I have this jacket bulmer, the g3 is great and bullet proof. The colorway is not as bad as you think and you wont notice it when its raining or when you are fishing.

The pockets on the river salt arnt bellow pockets you need to be used to them otherwise they will get on your tits, litterally!

Failing that, vision vector for £100 is your next bet.

Mcx did get a good deal second hand but that is the exception rather than the rule.

· Registered
13,162 Posts
At the risk of a mild deviation has anyone tried the new snowbee sonic thingy? I can get a very good deal on them and am quite tempted but I've always had Simms jackets in the past. Back on the thread the G3 is a good jacket, orange is not a good colour, IMO.

· Registered
3,046 Posts
Has everybody forgotten the Stillwater Tay jacket?!

Absolutely fantastic value For money......

· Registered
4,115 Posts
Don't get a SIMMs. Total waste of money. I had one. A few months and it was bleeding water through. Hopeless. I took it back and was told it was because I wore a bag (a SIMMs bag......). they would not give me a refund or replacement.

Vision Vector is outstanding. £100 three years and around 200 fishing days and its still dry.

Sierra jackets are excellent too. £100 for a very well designed jacket made from the same material as some £300 jackets. A proper hood with wire (SIMMs hoods are truly truly awful, a bit of floppy fabric no structure). Waterproof zips if that's your fancy. It even comes with a waterproof aquapac jobbie for you phone/keys.... you could of course buy a SIMMs one of those if you want to spend another fifty quid.

SIMMs are over priced, poorly spec'd and poor customer service. You pay for the name.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.