Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Vision Ikon

5K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  shetjan 
#1 ·
Hi just a quick one, how long have any of you got out of a pair of Vision Ikons before they needed a seam seal etc ? Thanks

#4 ·
I hope for 50 dry trips in West Country thickets. Fishing gentlemanly beats with strimmed and mown banks I would hope for at least 100 dry trips. I usually have several pairs on the go: one larger pair for boat fishing, one new or almost new for posh beats, one former posh pair for the West Country, one elderly and much DD'd pair for bank work. The boat ones seem to last almost indefinitely!

#7 ·
Mine have lasted three years but are just about due for retirement. The seams are fine but the fabric's pretty much worn through where they rub together so they're now waterproof thanks to copious quantities of Aquasure. I wear them quite a lot and three years is at least as long as any other waders I've owned have lasted.

#15 ·
I've had my Ikon Zips for 3 full seasons now and no leaks or any other problems. I use them for trout fishing from a boat and on river as well as salmon fishing on a river. Also used when powerwashing the car, driveway, boat etc. As I have a second pair ready and waiting I've not been overly gentle with the current pair. Despite occasional washing they are very discoloured in comparison with the new reserve ones.

#17 ·
Great waders and great price...have a zipped pair and ikon pair....zipped pair have lasted 10 years and still going .other then one small leak in toe area which was easily repaired. ..otherwise still good...I have trashed many pairs of other top brands after only one season until I came across vision waders.....money well spent

#18 ·
Fixing the zip.

Have mine now for two seasons and still waterproof. However, I have had a problem with the zip and the waders are currently with Diver Dave for a replacement zip.
To be honest I put the problem down to my increasing waist-line and the pressure it put on the zip (half a stone since shed!).
The problem with the zip was that a number of the individual teeth of the zip swivelled out of line and of course didn't thereby engage when the zip was closed.
I found temporary solution by gluing small rectangular pieces cut from the edge of a plastic club badge, between and at the back end or top of the offending teeth and well away from the actual teeth (if you follow me!). It held for the remainder of the season!
The solution looked untidy no least because I glued the plastic pieces on the outside whereas in hindsight they would have been better glued to the inside of the zip.
I might also have been better to used Aquasure rather quick trying glue.!
H

#19 ·
Funnily enough, for the 1st time ever I've got to complain about Ikon's.

Bought new for the start of last season they lasted until June before leaving me rather wet. They were dried out and stored and went back to using my old Diver Dave'd pair.

Turns out that the 5 layer material had delaminated where the waders crease at the back of the knee. Left leg was particularly bad.

Also it looks like they didn't like the transition from thick to thin with a few spots that even thinned aquasure actually passed right through:rolleyes:

Been a bit of work done on them addressing all the problem areas over the past few weeks so will be all good.

Mind you, if any other product was used circa 24 times before failing the company responsible would get hauled through the consumer courts. Seem's the only product on the planet that is saved from that are breathable waders:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe we as anglers should be shouting more?

#20 ·
I brought new icons a year ago but have yet to get them on. Last year was lost as far as fishing went for me. I'm hoping they won't be a dissapointment when it comes to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.