Salmon Fishing Forum banner
321 - 339 of 339 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
tight lines for the last day.
hope its a good one . if not im sure there will be plenty good stories and northern fire water in the fishing hut to make it a good day . :)
just remember on the last day the owner always brings the drink ;) for the guests
Good luck for the morn. Hopefully go out with a bang & have some pics of fish. Really enjoy this thread & would love to have a cast on your water. Anyway, enough dreaming & tight lines for all your guests tomorrow.

· Registered
318 Posts
I've been refreshing this thread for the last 4 hours wondering how the last day finished, but it's looking more & more like John & Steve are still having or finishing off a party in the fishing hut. Still, there's always tomorrow.
Ha ha.

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
Thats all folks...

Cecil D landed our last fish of the season, a 10lber in The Bridge Pool.

Roger C hooked into a good fish in The Bishop's.....and the bugger got off!!!

Roger realised it was pilot error after checking his leader, he was only using 13.6lbs!!!

More photos etc to follow as I have had a virtually non existent internet connection at the hotel.

· Registered
11,260 Posts
Echo what steve says enjoyed reading the reports and good 2 see u got a fish on final day, look forward 2 reading them again next season here's hoping it's a better 1 than this season, all the best and tight lines for next season :)

· Registered
2,142 Posts
Reiterating a couple of posts, but I wanted to say myself how much fun its been following this thread, the seasons been one to forget for many, but it's been great to hear of the exploits at upper caberston and the trials and tribulations of Steve, John and the parties of anglers....it seems that the theme has been .....then the bugger got off!

Look forward to reading the UC 2015 thread and fishing the beat again next season.:)

· Registered
9,736 Posts
Reiterating a couple of posts, but I wanted to say myself how much fun its been following this thread, the seasons been one to forget for many, but it's been great to hear of the exploits at upper caberston and the trials and tribulations of Steve, John and the parties of anglers....it seems that the theme has been .....then the bugger got off!

Look forward to reading the UC 2015 thread and fishing the beat again next season.:)
Yes, entertaining and light hearted I must admit although some of the detail has a bit of devil in it.
How exactly can a 13.6lb cast result in a fish getting off with a resultant "bugger"??:)
Did it break the leader as a result of it maybe being nicked or mibees a wee pig's tail or did the fish just get off which is nothing to do with the weight of cast?

· Registered
1,249 Posts
Yes, entertaining and light hearted I must admit although some of the detail has a bit of devil in it.
How exactly can a 13.6lb cast result in a fish getting off with a resultant "bugger"??:)
Did it break the leader as a result of it maybe being nicked or mibees a wee pig's tail or did the fish just get off which is nothing to do with the weight of cast?
Yes I must say I was thinking the same myself. You could Moor a small boat with a good13lb leader. :confused:

· Registered
9,736 Posts
Yes I must say I was thinking the same myself. You could Moor a small boat with a good13lb leader. :confused:
Exactly!
Having landed a 150lb tarpon and countless whites and stripies of similar size on 20lb maxima and and a 280lb Blue marlin on 50lb class tackle , I don't see the relevance of the statement.
Without going into test curves and all that technical jargon, good 13lb leader should, in the correct circumstances, haul out a passing tree.:)
I'm sure John will clarify.

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
This fish got off because the leader broke 2" down from the loop attaching it to the tip, no pig tail but some slight abrasion marks.

If the leader was a higher breaking strain, would it have broke??

Its another fish lost, hence the "bugger":D

· Registered
9,736 Posts
Double bugger

This fish got off because the leader broke 2" down from the loop attaching it to the tip, no pig tail but some slight abrasion marks.

Its another fish lost, hence the "bugger":D
Ah, right.
Mibees aye, mibees naw I suppose.
It would all depend on the extent on the abrasion and the quality of leader.
Some better brands retain their strength when abraded much better than others. Others , perfect when bought, refuse even to take a knot without breaking after 2 or 3 months. There are some brands I wouldn't have near my bag for those very reasons.
But anyway, yes, that qualifies as a double bugger.
Or mibees even a treble bugger after the season we have all just had.:(

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
It was Seaguar 13.6lbs,

When we were discussing it at the end of the day, one of the rods told a story of fishing overseas where a guide told him that you shouldn't use anything under 15lbs breaking strain from Seaguar as it breaks like cotton.

I haven't used that breaking strain but use and sell the 19.1, 23.5 and 25.5lbs without any problems.

· Registered
3,722 Posts

It's interesting that you say it was 13.6lb test - a very precise figure. That suggests to me that he was probably using something like Seaguar Ace.

Their 13.6lb test line is only 0.26mm in diameter, which is equivalent to about 8lb in conventional nylon. That's far too thin to support anything but the smallest of salmon flies, and certainly not appropriate for the sort of tackle you're likely to be using on the Tweed in November.

On the face of it there's no way that you should be able to break 13lb leader on a straight pull - in fact you'd struggle to pull half that strain off the tip of a rod. But straight pulls aren't by any means the whole story.

This is a classic illustration of why you really need to look at the diameter of the line, not the breaking strain. If your rod was fishing with .26mm line it's not in the least surprising that he was broken when the line got rubbed. For sunk line fishing I would use .37mm or .42mm as standard, and possibly even thicker in a very rocky river where abrasion is likely to be an issue.

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
It's interesting that you say it was 13.6lb test - a very precise figure. That suggests to me that he was probably using something like Seaguar Ace.

Their 13.6lb test line is only 0.26mm in diameter, which is equivalent to about 8lb in conventional nylon. That's far too thin to support anything but the smallest of salmon flies, and certainly not appropriate for the sort of tackle you're likely to be using on the Tweed in November.

On the face of it there's no way that you should be able to break 13lb leader on a straight pull - in fact you'd struggle to pull half that strain off the tip of a rod. But straight pulls aren't by any means the whole story.

This is a classic illustration of why you really need to look at the diameter of the line, not the breaking strain. If your rod was fishing with .26mm line it's not in the least surprising that he was broken when the line got rubbed. For sunk line fishing I would use .37mm or .42mm as standard, and possibly even thicker in a very rocky river where abrasion is likely to be an issue.
By the anglers own admission, it was "pilots error", he had taken the spool out of his vest pocket without checking the breaking strain, it was only after he lost his fish that he checked it.

· Registered
3,722 Posts
By the anglers own admission, it was "pilots error", he had taken the spool out of his vest pocket without checking the breaking strain, it was only after he lost his fish that he checked it.
He must have been on autopilot when making up the leader! I'd have thought you could hardly fail to notice the fact that you were using .26mm line - it's so flimsy compared to the sort of line you should be using.

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
The season that never was...

30 Salmon and 18 Sea-Trout.

If there is one thing that can raise or crush your expectations, it's salmon fishing.

We finished the 2013 record breaking season on a high but mother nature wasn't playing nice.

On December 30th 2013 we had a big flood, the highest so far in my time at Caberston, we had the bridge outside the Bothy, washed away, sections of our access road scoured out and debris by the skip load, scattered across the beat.

Not a great way to start the forthcoming 2014 season.

The weather in Spring and Summer was much kinder, allowing Steve to get underway building a new bridge, repairing the road and getting Upper Caberston in great condition for the Autumn.

Steve's new bridge.

One thing we were keeping an eye on was that we hadn't had any significant rises of water in the run up to Autumn, we normally do have a few rises which give us a number of fish in the beat ready for our first groups of anglers in the end of September, led by Michael Evans on his speycasting courses.

September...

We welcomed Michael and his team on the 22nd September and we had a few fish in the beat and Jonathan G landed our first fish of the season on the 24th September, a Sea-Trout of 1 1/2lbs, however most of the fish were not on the take, at the time we thought this was due to the low and warm water conditions, however this was a pattern that was to continue throughout the season.

The Beginners

The Improvers

The air and water temperatures continued to rise and on the last day of September it was 21C (70F) and the water temperature was 17C (63F). This time last year it was 12C (54F) and the water 9C (49F).

On the catch count we had 1 Sea-Trout as opposed to 11 Salmon and 4 Sea-Trout for 2013.

October...

We had our first frost on the 2nd October and we hoped this heralded a change not just in the weather but to put the fish on the take. We finally got our much needed rise of water on the 4th October, taking the river from 1" (2.5cm) to over 5'6" (1.68m).

Just the flush out we needed, we thought, what we ended up with was a lot of coloured and lethargic fish that had been trapped downstream in the low,warm water.

Duncan R landed our first Salmon of the season on the 6th October, a 6lber from The Bridge Pool.

The trend of us seeing fish, but unable to tempt them continued and a new trend started, we were losing more fish than we were landing and when getting the evening reports from Steve, it was so and so had a fish on......and the bugger got off!!!

And the...

On the 30th October I had a much needed knee op to repair cartilage damage and give it a good flush out, the downside was that it sidelined me from doing my twice weekly visit to the beat.

The water and air temperatures remained unusually mild for October and on the 31st October the air temperature was 22C (72F)!!! Double what it was on the same day in 2013.

Highlights for October were a first ever Salmon for Torquil C, landing a 10lber in The Bishops, a 22lber for Craig P in The Bridge Pool and Steve landing a 10lbs Sea-Trout, again in The Bridge Pool.

Our total for October was 11 Salmon and 12 Sea-Trout as opposed to 46 Salmon and 20 Sea-Trout in 2013.

November...

November started were October left off, the river was running at an awkward height for us and the bugger got off trend continued.

Bob L fishing The Clure

As the river remained at an awkward height for us, this was allowing the fish to run straight through and we regularly saw everything from silver fish to full tartan tourists and everything in between. This did keep our rods motivated but we just couldn't tempt them to take our offerings, even more soul destroying was that when we finally hooked one.....the bugger got off!!!

Steve pointing out the taking spots

The river didn't drop under the 1' (30cm) until the last 3 days of the season, this was now holding the fish up and they were showing on the various lyes throughout the beat. This would give us a much better crack at them we thought but once again they were not on the take.

Cecil D in The Runners

We also noted small groups of fish moving upstream, but not the normal 'head and tailing', just a slow upstream pace in the top foot of the water, had the fish been doing this all season?

We enjoyed our annual party which allows me to pay tribute and thank Steve for all his hard work throughout the year, more so this year with it being a very poor season on the catch front. Steve's ability to keep the rods enthused even when he knew things were very difficult and also making sure that everything we had control over, ran as well as it could is testament to his first class ability as our Ghillie.

Steve's new hat...

And so onto the last day of the season and our team raised the final dram before heading out to hopefully finish on a high.

Cheers

The river was 11" (28cm) on the gauge, air temp 9C (48F) and water temp was 8C (46F), this time last year, the river was 4" (10cm) on the gauge, air temp 1C (34F) and water temp was 3C (38F)

Cecil D saved us from a blank, landing a 10lber in The Bridge Pool.

As we were treated to a last day sunset after a week of murky and overcast weather, I would like to again gives thanks to Steve who can hopefully restore his sanity over the winter.

To Sandra for her belt busting packed lunches.

To James "Old Jimmy" Morton for his help and humour.

To Dave Rodgers and his staff at the Traquair Arms for keeping us fed and watered along with the other hoteliers and B&Bs.

To the good people of Walkerburn.

Last but by no means least, all of the anglers who have made Upper Caberston such a pleasure to own and run. I look forward to hopefully meeting you all again in 2015.

Finally may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

John Miller

· Registered
210 Posts
Hi John,

A difficult season as stated. I must say however that I enjoyed my 3 days on your beat. Steve was in good humor and encouraged his fishers to keep trying, as when I was there fish were showing, including some fresh ones. Unfortunately I only managed the one (stale) fish for my 3 days but given the lack of taking fish on the Tweed this year I am satisfied and feel I tried my best. Good luck with your continued recovery and have a good Christmas.

Hope to see you and Steve next year.

Midge

321 - 339 of 339 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.