Salmon Fishing Forum banner
301 - 320 of 339 Posts

· Registered
2,142 Posts
Interestingly enough I was reading a back issue of T&S last night, from March 2013, it was on page 20; Lean years ahead for southern salmon....scientists from the G&WCT believe that salmon stocks on southern English and Welsh rivers may suffer a severe decline following prolonged drought in 2011.

On the Dorset frome the measured population of juvenile salmon (Parr) fell from 130,000 in 2010 to 64,000 in 2011, the 2012 smolt run was estimated at fewer than 7,000 fish, runs had reached 13,000 in the past. Dr. Ibbotson anticipates a significant drop in the number of returning adults in 2013/2014.......

Makes you wonder if this is affecting not just southern England and Wales, and whether they were right?

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
Interestingly enough I was reading a back issue of T&S last night, from March 2013, it was on page 20; Lean years ahead for southern salmon....scientists from the G&WCT believe that salmon stocks on southern English and Welsh rivers may suffer a severe decline following prolonged drought in 2011.

On the Dorset frome the measured population of juvenile salmon (Parr) fell from 130,000 in 2010 to 64,000 in 2011, the 2012 smolt run was estimated at fewer than 7,000 fish, runs had reached 13,000 in the past. Dr. Ibbotson anticipates a significant drop in the number of returning adults in 2013/2014.......

Makes you wonder if this is affecting not just southern England and Wales, and whether they were right?
Andy I really don't know the answer and if I could ask for one thing this Christmas, the ultimate gift, would be the answer to what has happened to this years run.

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Bizarre...

Nothing for our team today as it appears the salmon have thrown the rule book out of the window.

Today we have seen a lot of fish and have threw everything, including the kitchen sink at them and had not so much as a pull.

Our rods have been standing in the river watching groups of about 6 and 7 fish moving slowly upstream past them, not the usual head and tailing you would normally associate with running fish but just slowly moving upstream just beneath the surface and completely ignoring our offerings.

It gets even stranger, at lunch time, Steve was trying out a rod in the runners and whilst stripping the fly back to recast a fish came off its lye and made 2 attempts at the fly!!!

Aha we thought, cracked it, that's what they want...............nope!!!

Then late this afternoon Cecil D reported that he watched a pod of fish swim past him in The Bridge Pool, in 6" of water, completely avoiding the deeper channel.

Bizarre.........is it Sunday yet?

· Registered
2,142 Posts
I have one question; what leader and line combination did you need to turnover the kitchen sink?

Great name for a fly, the kitchen sink, sounds like the natural offspring of a cascade, Dee monkey, Willie gunn and park shrimp.....I may tie one, it won't be pretty.

· Registered
2,718 Posts
I have one question; what leader and line combination did you need to turnover the kitchen sink?

Great name for a fly, the kitchen sink, sounds like the natural offspring of a cascade, Dee monkey, Willie gunn and park shrimp.....I may tie one, it won't be pretty.
Just make sure it has seperate Hot & Cold taps, I can't stand those damn mixer taps.

Regards, Tyke.

PS you may want to incorporate a few "Francis style Feelers", some Chernoble Ant Rubber legs & a Turbo Cone to cover all the bases. T.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
John

Is it possible that some of the major floods in the past couple of years have changed the nature/shape of the pools and their profiles, such that the fish don't want to stop off at present ??

Do you see any discernible changes ??

TL for the last few days !

Nick

· Registered
2,142 Posts
Just make sure it has seperate Hot & Cold taps, I can't stand those damn mixer taps.

Regards, Tyke.

PS you may want to incorporate a few "Francis style Feelers", some Chernoble Ant Rubber legs & a Turbo Cone to cover all the bases. T.
That's a great idea, soon as I get chance I'll tie it..... I think in order to get all the components in a four inch tube will be needed.

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·

It has a "drainer" disc, a "plug" like appearance, the body contains "foam" and it's tied in "Belfast"

Sorry, we've had a good night on the sauce as tonight is the night I host a party for Steve as a thank you for all his hard work.
I will post some photos when I can see straight and have an Internet connection faster than half a Meg. Thank god for auto correct :D

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
John

Is it possible that some of the major floods in the past couple of years have changed the nature/shape of the pools and their profiles, such that the fish don't want to stop off at present ??

Do you see any discernible changes ??

TL for the last few days !

Nick
Nick,

No, things are very much the same.

TL

John

· Registered
3,022 Posts
Nothing today for our team of rods, most of which left at lunch time for the long journey home.

We welcome a new team tomorrow for the final 3 days of the season.
best of luck for the last 3 days! 8 fish of river today (fishpall) biggest 12 measly pounds, this season is turning from being hopeless, to being a total disaster, but you never know, what the last 3 days will bring, tight lines for uc then all I can say, roll on spring 2015

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
3 Today...

The weather can only be described as dreek today, we had very low cloud, heavy drizzle which would change to rain and back again, however there always is a silver lining.

Scott L landed 2 today, a 10lber in The Bishop's this morning and a 15lber in The Weavers this afternoon.

Cecil D also landed a 4lber in The Clure.

Cecil also lost an estimated 20lber today after having it on for over 5 minutes, it jumped twice then turned broadside to the current and slipped the hook. On closer inspection the hook had bent out......Bugger!!!

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
best of luck for the last 3 days! 8 fish of river today (fishpall) biggest 12 measly pounds, this season is turning from being hopeless, to being a total disaster, but you never know, what the last 3 days will bring, tight lines for uc then all I can say, roll on spring 2015
Many thanks Marty, it has been very very poor, but we'll keep trying till the very end

· Registered
2,718 Posts
John,

tell your' lads they let a big one through today:

"Cardrona 78lbs"

I imagine this was due to cold fingers on a dinky smartphone keyboard, but if not tell 'em it's 30 lb tippets tomorrow!

Regards, Tyke.

· Registered
3,902 Posts
tight lines for the last day.
hope its a good one . if not im sure there will be plenty good stories and northern fire water in the fishing hut to make it a good day . :)
just remember on the last day the owner always brings the drink ;) for the guests

301 - 320 of 339 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.