Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 339 Posts

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The river peaked at around 11' yesterday evening and it wasn't until today that some of the damage became apparent.

The river wiped out the footbridge across Pirn Burn just outside The Bothy.

We found part of it downstream beside The Weaver Pool

The water also scoured out a section of the road and dumped it on the side of the riverbank.

We also have to deal with the debris around the fences.

You can see how high the water got in the car park by the waterline on the tool shed.

Thankfully the gravel boards did their job and saved the car park.

Well the start of 2014 is certainly going to be a busy one!!!

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Opening Day....

We made our traditional opening day toast for the 2014 season...

In a blizzard...
"To Upper Caberston"​

"To the Ghillie"​

"To the River Tweed"​

Steve the Ghillie has been very busy after the big flood, The road is now fully repaired and 80% of the debris has been removed.

Availability will be on the website soon, I am awaiting responses back from anglers on the waiting list.

Tight lines for 2014.

John Miller

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New Bridge

After the bad flood on the 30th December 2013 which wiped out our footbridge across the burn outside The Bothy, I am pleased to announce that Steve the Ghillie has completed it's replacement.

Before

After​

The new bridge is now level with the car park, which will hopefully keep it safe from all but the very worst floods.

A very proud Steve and a very proud owner:D

· Registered
2,142 Posts
John,

Any fish showing on the beat yet, waiting with baited breath for the first sign of fish....starting to get excited even though its mid October before we're with you.

Starting to tie some flies up, now the seatrout is all over ( for me anyway)

Andy R

· Registered
1,966 Posts
upper caberston

nice to see this beautiful beat back on track after the devistation of the winter floods

good luck for the 2014 backend and hope you get lots of big set backend fish

hopefully we can meet next year if I manage to save my pennies :)

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John,

Any fish showing on the beat yet, waiting with baited breath for the first sign of fish....starting to get excited even though its mid October before we're with you.

Starting to tie some flies up, now the seatrout is all over ( for me anyway)

Andy R
Hi Andy,

I have just been speaking with Steve as I have just came back off holiday and he says that he has seen a few fish about but not in great numbers....yet:D

He went onto say that the river is at a nice height at the moment and this helps bring more fish forward as the start of our season approaches.

I for one can't wait and I look forward to meeting you in October.

John

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice to see this beautiful beat back on track after the devistation of the winter floods

good luck for the 2014 backend and hope you get lots of big set backend fish

hopefully we can meet next year if I manage to save my pennies :)
Hi SOLWAYSALMO,

Thank you for your kind words of support and I'm a great believer in everything comes to he or she, who waits:D

John

· Registered
214 Posts
hmmmm nice looking beat ive never fished the tweed before, was planning 3 days on the tay start of October but im now thinking of here for the 9th/11th October,

howz this beat going to suit a complete novice like me?? I hate turning up to new places watching everyone casting for miles then theres me thrashing aboot on the otherside:(!

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmmmm nice looking beat ive never fished the tweed before, was planning 3 days on the tay start of October but im now thinking of here for the 9th/11th October,

howz this beat going to suit a complete novice like me?? I hate turning up to new places watching everyone casting for miles then theres me thrashing aboot on the otherside:(!
Hi Rubberheed,

As your in Edinburgh, why not pop down and have a look. Wading is very easy and long casts are not required.

I'm sure we can take you from a novice thrasher to an intermediate thrasher in no time.:D:D:D

John

1 - 20 of 339 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.