Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Who tied your favourite 3 Monkeys…?..

POLL : TOTM March 2023 - Brrrrr...... Its "BRASS MONKEYS" out there!

12K views 149 replies 37 participants last post by  iainmortimer 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to Tie of the Month

March 2023

Introduction

The format of the 2023 Tie of the Month competition will remain the same as it was in 2022 with no changes. As ever prizes are not guaranteed but with or without them this is a very friendly competition that is open to everyone regardless of your ability and a specific newcomer's section for which a prize is available to reflect that. So please do join in by submitting your flies and engaging in the banter because your tying will improve and so will your general feeling of happiness!

CHANGE TO RULE 5: you may re-photograph an entered fly but the fly may no longer be changed after submission.

To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at. It is worth noting that often it is not the neatest, most skillful or most complex tying that wins but the fly that the voters feel is most likely to catch a fish or is simply the most inventive or witty (see the winning entry from mc andy in the April 2020 competition
;)

). There is also no pressure to enter every month but do note that points are awarded just for entering each month. Just enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result from producing patterns that you may not otherwise have considered tying!

Please also note that the flies you tie are used as a reference by many people and so your posts are creating a great reference section for everyone. I therefore ask and encourage everyone entering to include a list of the materials used with each photo.

Clearly photography plays a part in this competition and many (possibly most) photo's are taken very successfully using a phone camera. A few tips to help though:

• As much as possible try and take the photo in natural daylight
  • On many smart phones tapping the screen to select the point of focus can result in the camera focussing on the vice or another large solid object near the fly. If that happens, try taking the photo at a greater distance from the fly without selecting the point of focus and then crop it (also note rule 7 below)
  • Be careful of the background for both clutter and background colour can make it harder to see, or with a good choice, highlight the fly.
TOTM - March 2023 - Brrrrr, its "BRASS MONKEYS" out there!

In comparison to recent years, the winter of 22/23 has thrown up some proper cold weather. That theme is set to continue into next week with some finger numbingly cold days. Most of which barely go above freezing, with some days staying below …… Proper ‘Brass Monkeys’ weather ❄🥶! At this time of year, I always keep an eye on conditions near some of the more famous spring fisheries and I couldn’t help but notice that they are predicting snow on Deeside for the early parts of next week and for those of you brave enough to venture out with rod in hand in search of the elusive springer, I salute you! I imagine frozen rings, numb fingers and toes and plenty of wee drams to warm the old cockles……..! Fishing will doubtless be done with sinking lines and big, heavy flies. Serious fishing for serious fish, by serious anglers!!

This month I want you top tie a Monkey, on a tube! There are countless derivatives of this very popular spring pattern, most notably the original 'Dee Monkey' ( Black, Yellow and Silver ), which is the fly that came to mind first whilst watching next week’s weather on Deeside. After last months restrictive theme, you are permitted to use any colours you want! As long as it’s a Monkey and its on a tube then you are in business.

I honestly cannot wait for this months entries!!

Specific guidance –
  • Your fly must be tied on a Tube
  • The tube can be metal, plastic, tungsten or other
  • No hooks will be accepted ( except for the ones that may stick out of the back of your tubes )
  • Cones and beads are acceptable!
Good luck all 👍

Below are a collection of 31, yes, 31 fantastic entries to the Brass Monkeys theme for TOTM. Thus confirming in no uncertain terms that this forum has gone totally BANANAS!!!”🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌

March entries:

Ryan Houston
Insect Eye Arthropod Terrestrial plant Pollinator

Jockiescott
Plant Flower Wood Arthropod Road surface

Yooper–fly
Artificial fly Arthropod Insect Bait Wing

Iainmortimer
Insect Arthropod Pollinator Body jewelry Feather

Tony Mac
Fishing lure Office supplies Feather Bait Fish hook

idbflytye
Artificial fly Tail Arthropod Wing Fish hook

Timmins
Arthropod Plant Feather Wing Terrestrial plant

Tcorfey
silverfish Insect Fashion accessory Feather Art

Stephenb91
Body jewelry Liquid Feather Writing implement Office supplies

L.Daniel
Hood Fin Fish Terrestrial plant Tail

Gwelsher
Hair Head Eye Eyebrow Eyelash

TheFlyingScotsman
Finger Terrestrial plant Fish Tail Thumb

Salmonless
Artificial fly Light Bait Fishing bait Fish hook

GaryD
Water Window Liquid Twig Freezing

DrPatrick
Fin Fish Tail Wing Invertebrate

Andrzej
Sky Terrestrial plant Cloud Feather Natural material

Beardog
Insect Arthropod Twig Fashion accessory Writing implement

Snapt14
Insect Natural material Writing implement Artificial fly Terrestrial plant

lgaffz
Artificial fly Insect Fishing lure Bait Fishing bait

Hardyreels
Butterfly Eye Insect Arthropod Pollinator

billyfish
Eye Liquid Feather Writing implement Tints and shades

Westie4566
Dress Twig Wood Toy Flash photography

Logan Houston
Insect Arthropod Plant Organism Flower

Woodsy
Automotive design Gas Electronic device Wire Art

Rotenone
Insect Wood Natural material Jewellery Arthropod

Flytie09!
Insect Arthropod Pollinator Plant Wood

Rob76
Insect silverfish Arthropod Writing implement Invertebrate

SidneyS
Automotive lighting Fashion accessory Gun accessory Machine Metal

Tailfire
Insect Arthropod Jewellery Terrestrial plant Parasite

Grassy Knollington
Artificial fly Natural material Fishing bait Bait Terrestrial plant

GENERAL RULES

1. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome to enter as many or as few months as they choose.
  2. The aim is for monthly themes to run from January to November with December reserved for voting on the Fly of the Year.
  3. To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.
  4. Voting is open to all forum members
    • At the end of each month there will be a poll to vote for the winning entries.
    • The poll will run for the majority of the following month
    • Voters names will be visible against each fly
  5. Flies must be original and tied by the entrant i.e.
    • The fly entered must not have appeared elsewhere on any forum (including this one), social media or other software until after entered. You can however tie a copy of one posted elsewhere.
    • It is the entrants responsibility to ensure that their entry complies with the rules and any uncertainty can be queried with a TOTM administrator prior to the entry being posted
    • Once a fly has been entered it cannot be changed unless there are VERY exceptional circumstances agreed with the TOTM administrator in advance of the change.
  6. Photographs - once entered the photo must not be changed
    • Each fly is judged on the photo posted and once entered, a photo may not be changed or updated.
    • Only enter one photo. Entries with more than one photo will be disqualified.
    • Unless a requirement of the specific months theme, the photo must not contain any other full or partly dressed fly.
    • If a fly is dressed in two parts (e.g.with an interchangeable body), the two dressed parts must be photographed as they would be fished i.e. joined together as the complete fly.
  7. The administrators of TOTM reserve the right to make judgement on the acceptability of any entry or breach of the general rules without consultation.
    • A fly may be disqualified from each months results up until the poll closes for that months theme
    • A fly may be disqualified from Fly of the Year up until the FOTY poll is posted. i.e. once that poll is posted it stands. The only exception to that will be if the organiser has inadvertently posted the wrong fly!
  8. Points
    • will be awarded each month as follows. In the event of a tie, all tied participants will get the full points available for the placing.
      • 1st place: 10 points + 4 points for entry
      • 2nd place: 7 points + 4 points for entry
      • 3rd place: 5 points + 4 points for entry
      • 4th place: 3 points + 4 points for entry
      • 5th place: 2 points + 4 points for entry
      • 6th place: 1 point + 4 points for entry
      • 7th place and lower. 4 points for entry
    • In December, the winning flies from each month will be entered into a poll for Fly of the Year. No additional points are awarded for this poll
    • At the end of the year, points awarded will be totalled for that years final placings
  9. Prizes
    • These are donated voluntarily and are not guaranteed.
    • They may be donated, amended or withdrawn at any time on the instruction of the person making the donation without explanation or prior warning
    • Cash prizes will not be accepted
    • No one associated with this forum or the administration of TOTM accepts any responsibility for the nature, value or delivery of any prizes that are offered other than to indicate their availability.
  10. General forum rules must be respected.

See less See more
#2 ·

March 2023

Introduction

The format of the 2023 Tie of the Month competition will remain the same as it was in 2022 with no changes. As ever prizes are not guaranteed but with or without them this is a very friendly competition that is open to everyone regardless of your ability and a specific newcomer's section for which a prize is available to reflect that. So please do join in by submitting your flies and engaging in the banter because your tying will improve and so will your general feeling of happiness!

CHANGE TO RULE 5: you may re-photograph an entered fly but the fly may no longer be changed after submission.

To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at. It is worth noting that often it is not the neatest, most skillful or most complex tying that wins but the fly that the voters feel is most likely to catch a fish or is simply the most inventive or witty (see the winning entry from mc andy in the April 2020 competition
;)

). There is also no pressure to enter every month but do note that points are awarded just for entering each month. Just enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result from producing patterns that you may not otherwise have considered tying!

Please also note that the flies you tie are used as a reference by many people and so your posts are creating a great reference section for everyone. I therefore ask and encourage everyone entering to include a list of the materials used with each photo.

Clearly photography plays a part in this competition and many (possibly most) photo's are taken very successfully using a phone camera. A few tips to help though:

• On many smart phones tapping the screen to select the point of focus can result in the camera focussing on the vice or another large solid object near the fly. If that happens, try taking the photo at a greater distance from the fly without selecting the point of focus and then crop it (also note rule 7 below)
  • Be careful of the background for both clutter and background colour can make it harder to see, or with a good choice, highlight the fly.

In comparison to recent years, the winter of 22/23 has thrown up some proper cold weather. That theme is set to continue into next week with some finger numbingly cold days. Most of which barely go above freezing, with some days staying below …… Proper ‘Brass Monkeys’ weather ❄🥶! At this time of year, I always keep an eye on conditions near some of the more famous spring fisheries and I couldn’t help but notice that they are predicting snow on Deeside for the early parts of next week and for those of you brave enough to venture out with rod in hand in search of the elusive springer, I salute you! I would imagine the frozen rings, numb fingers and toes and plenty of wee drams to warm the old cockles……..! Fishing will doubtless be done with sinking lines and big, heavy flies. Serious fishing for serious fish, by serious anglers!!

This month I want you top tie a Monkey, on a tube! There are countless derivatives of this very popular spring pattern, most notably the original 'Dee Monkey' ( Black, Yellow and Silver ), which is the fly that came to mind first whilst watching next week’s weather on Deeside. After last months restrictive theme, you are permitted to use any colours you want! As long as it’s a Monkey and its on a tube then you are in business.

Specific guidance –
  • No hooks will be accepted ( except for the ones that may stick out of the back of your tubes )
Good luck all 👍
Perfect theme for the month and like you I am really looking forward to getting some ideas from all the entries. Thanks again Nath although you're setting the bar high for me having to match your prowess come April !! :oops:

#3 ·
Well, I had a fair idea what to tie last month. This month, I simply don't have a monkeys! 🤷‍♂️

Boom, boom. See what I did there! 😃 I'll get my coat! 🤦‍♂️

I'll definitely be googling a lot this month I feel.

#10 ·
Would anyone know if this is monkey hair? 🤔

Its been lying in a drawer for over 10 years and I was never sure what it was or when to use it.

It needs a really good wash and combing out. I'll give it the Vidal Sassoon treatment and see how it turns out.

Textile Wood Animal product Feather Tints and shades

• Haha
Reactions: SnapT14
#12 ·
Would anyone know if this is monkey hair? 🤔

Its been lying in a drawer for over 10 years and I was never sure what it was or when to use it.

It needs a really good wash and combing out. I'll give it the Vidal Sassoon treatment and see how it turns out.

View attachment 92347
Looks like one of those fancy dress wigs you see at Halloween parties to me 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Jockiescott
#26 ·
Insect Arthropod Eye Terrestrial plant Wing

a bit unusual but here goes

tube 3.2 fl orange
liner 1.8 mm black
tag silver oval fine
butt fl chartreuse thread
rib silver oval
body mirage over chartreuse thread
orange black barred silli legs
chartreuse spectra dubbing
chartreuse and red spotted silli legs
underwing chartreuse bucktail
flash chartreuse mirage
main wing black cashmere
herl blue dyed sword
fake hackle triple dyed oppossum
overwing black runner
sides chartreuse grizzle hackles
cheeks JC
cone tibetal silver ornate

#27 ·
That's certainly different Ryan. In a good way......
Lots going on there, bet it moves great 👍

#35 ·
To clarify to the best of my knowledge,
A monkey was named so because it was tied using monkey hair as the long top wing.
Now, I'm not expecting anybody to go and buy monkey hair. Goat, fox, nayat are all acceptable as are others.

Most MONKEYS these days will be tied using goat I would imagine 👍

Reactions: iainmortimer
#36 ·
Well. After all the bother of doing a basic introduction to hairdressing for my merkin lookin thing, I ended up using nayat instead. 🤣

Found this one while doing a Google search. Apparently it's a Summer Dee Monkey? 🤷‍♂️ I'll take their word for it.

I hope this fits the theme. Tied on a brass bottle tube...

Plant Wood Road surface Asphalt Grass

#37 ·
Well. After all the bother of doing a basic introduction to hairdressing for my merkin lookin thing, I ended up using nayat instead. 🤣

Found this one while doing a Google search. Apparently it's a Summer Dee Monkey? 🤷‍♂️ I'll take their word for it.

I hope this fits the theme. Tied on a brass bottle tube...

View attachment 92386
Fit the theme it does.....
That's a very nice monkey......! 👍👏

• Thanks
Reactions: Jockiescott
#41 · (Edited)
I had a great idea for the dressing I wanted and then that wicked Jockiescott went and stole it from under me!!! 😩. After hassling Nathan to clarify the rules and a load of tinkering I ended up almost back where I started which was being inspired by super effective long tailed shrimps. The cascade was my inspiration with my favourite body of lurex over black thread to give the greeny/yellow colour that salmon seem to love.

Tube: 1” copper
Body: yellow lurex over black thread
Wing: orange shadow fox, hot orange bucktail, micro crystal flash, peacock herl, black goat, orange crinkle flash, yellow dyed grizzle genetic cock hackle
Throat: gold shadow fox
Hackle: black keough hen
Cheeks: jungle cock

Insect Arthropod Pollinator Feather Body jewelry

#42 ·
I had a great idea for the dressing I wanted and then that wicked Jockiescott went and stole it from under me!!! 😩. After hassling Nathan to clarify the rules and a load of tinkering I ended up almost back where I started which was being inspired by super effective long tailed shrimps. The cascade was my inspiration with my favourite body of lurex over black thread to give the greeny/yellow colour that salmon seem to love.

Tube: 1” copper
Body: yellow lurex over black thread
Wing: orange shadow fox, hot orange bucktail, micro crystal flash, peacock herl, black goat, orange crinkle flash, yellow dyed genetic cock hackle
Throat: gold shadow fox
Hackle: black keough hen
Cheeks: jungle cock

View attachment 92417
Different but in a good way. Like that Iain.

• Thanks
Reactions: iainmortimer
#44 · (Edited)
Someone here asked the difference of Monkeys and Sunrays, here is my understanding, in general, of the 3 tube winging styles. Of course, others mileage will vary 😂

1. SUNRAY = long slim wing
•sparsest of the 3
•underwing, overwing, done 👍

2. MONKEY = long slim wing
•heavier than a sunray
•sparser than a TD
•not dressed up the tube
•involves hackle and, if desired, a throat
•how I tie them goes like this:
~underwing, throat, overwing, hackle
~sometimes then I’ll add a soft hair wing topper (shorter) and one more hackle

3. TEMPLE DOG = nice fat wing (though can be tied sparse as well)
•fully dressed
•tail, body hackle, wing, hackle, wing, hackle, wing
•I much prefer the ‘fat-back’ style like Hakan Norling or David Mcphail. I feel this technique gives the lift desired while keeping materials sparse, and hence gives the signature fat wing teardrop.

Of course, there are always variations and preferences, and I am simply not stickler in regards to ‘original’ patterns, I like them all! But without a starting point, or a ‘template’, there can be no ‘variation.’ In other words; one could simply ask: “a variation of what?” Or, “a variation from what?”
Just my thoughts 👍😊 carry on lads

#45 ·
My entry for this month

Tied on a brass bottle tube.
Body material: Veevus mini flat braid silver, with some yellow angel hair dubbed into a ball at the wing tie in point.
Wing 1: Yellow artic runner with some yellow angel hair
Wing: 2 different lengths of tapered fox, with goat on top, with some pheasant hurl and flash

All materials tied in with glue, head finished with glue, UV resin and then varnish.

Fishing lure Fish hook Feather Office supplies Bait

#46 ·
My entry for this month

Tied on a brass bottle tube.
Body material: Veevus mini flat braid silver, with some yellow angel hair dubbed into a ball at the wing tie in point.
Wing 1: Yellow artic runner with some yellow angel hair
Wing: 2 different lengths of tapered fox, with goat on top, with some pheasant hurl and flash

All materials tied in with glue, head finished with glue, UV resin and then varnish.

View attachment 92442
That’s amazing! I’ve never felt so under pressure 🤦🏼‍♂️😂

#50 ·

March 2023

Introduction

;)

In comparison to recent years, the winter of 22/23 has thrown up some proper cold weather. That theme is set to continue into next week with some finger numbingly cold days. Most of which barely go above freezing, with some days staying below …… Proper ‘Brass Monkeys’ weather ❄🥶! At this time of year, I always keep an eye on conditions near some of the more famous spring fisheries and I couldn’t help but notice that they are predicting snow on Deeside for the early parts of next week and for those of you brave enough to venture out with rod in hand in search of the elusive springer, I salute you! I imagine frozen rings, numb fingers and toes and plenty of wee drams to warm the old cockles……..! Fishing will doubtless be done with sinking lines and big, heavy flies. Serious fishing for serious fish, by serious anglers!!

Specific guidance –
Good luck all 👍

GENERAL RULES

1. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome to enter as many or as few months as they choose.
  2. The competition will run from January until November.
  3. To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.
  4. At the end of each month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month, will be open to everyone on the forum, and voters names will be visible.
  5. Flies
    • Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on any forum (including this one), social media or other software . You can however tie another version of one you have posted elsewhere.
    • Once a fly has been entered it cannot be changed for another fly even if it is dressed as an identical pattern.
  6. Photographs
    • Each fly is judged on the photo posted. Once a fly has been entered, you may change the photo but must adhere to rule 5.
    • Only enter one photo. Entries with more than one photo will be disqualified.
    • Unless a requirement of the specific months theme, the photo should contain only one fly.
  7. Points
    • will be awarded each month as follows. In the event of a tie, all tied participants will get the full points available for the placing.
      • 1st place: 10 points + 4 points for entry
      • 2nd place: 7 points + 4 points for entry
      • 3rd place: 5 points + 4 points for entry
      • 4th place: 3 points + 4 points for entry
      • 5th place: 2 points + 4 points for entry
      • 6th place: 1 point + 4 points for entry
      • 7th place and lower. 4 points for entry
    • In December, the winning flies from each month will be entered into a poll for Fly of the Year. No additional points are awarded for this poll
    • At the end of the year, points awarded will be totalled for that years final placings
  8. Prizes
    • These are donated voluntarily and are not gauranteed.
    • They may be donated, amended or withdrawn at any time on the instruction of the person making the donation without explanation or prior warning
    • Cash prizes will not be accepted
    • No one associated with this forum or the administration of TOTM accepts any responsibility for the nature, value or delivery of any prizes that are offered other than to indicate their availability.
  9. The administrators of TOTM reserve the right to make judgement on the acceptability of any entry or breach of the general rules. However, they have no general administration rights in relation to the forum.
Here is my try at a posh tosh monkey variant for this month.
15mm slim bottle tube
Chartreuse extension tubing
Tag and rib Chartreuse glo brite
Body opal mirage
Under wing Chartreuse polar bear
Mid wing of chartreuse fox with Chartreuse angel hair
Hackle Chartreuse grizzle soft hackle
Overwing black fox, with peacock angel hair
Peacock here over the top, and dyed orange jc cheeks
Cheers
Idbflytye
Artificial fly Arthropod Insect Bait Fish hook

#54 ·
My variation on floyds monkey
Great pattern for this time of year !!!
tube Fluro pink
Liner black
Body Lime sss holo braid
1st hackle lime cock
1st wing pink polar bear
Flash pink purple angel hair
2nd hackle purple hen
2nd wing lime fox
Flash hot green angel hair
3rd wing black pseudo monkey
3rd hackle purple hen
Jc cheeks
Metallic green tungsten cone
Arthropod Feather Insect Wing Writing implement

#55 · (Edited)
Here is my take on a Monkey - Going for that Silver Minnow look.
Tube - Silver Pro-sportfisher
Body1 - Silver flexiweight (makes a ramp for the wings)
Body 2 = Hareline Silver Halo dubbing (teased out long for some flash)
Collar/throat - Grey Schlappen
Wing1 - White bucktail
Wing 2 - Red bucktail
Wing 3 - White Arctic Goat
Wing 4 - Black Arctic Goat
Cheeks - JC
Cone = Small Silver Pro-sportfisher
silverfish Insect Fashion accessory Feather Tail

#56 ·
Here is my take on a Monkey - Going for that Silver Minnow look.
Tube - Silver Pro-sportfisher
Body1 - Silver flexiweight (makes a ramp for the wings)
Body 2 = Hardline Silver Halo dubbing (teased out long for some flash)
Collar/throat - Grey Schlappen
Wing1 - While bucktail
Wing 2 - Red bucktail
Wing 3 - White Arctic Goat
Wing 4 - Black Arctic Goat
Cheeks - JC
Cone = Small Silver Pro-sportfisher
View attachment 92483
I really like those colours sir! The red just gives a nice subtle lift.

Great looking fly that! 👍

#63 ·
Here is my entry

I went with the more classic colours but with a little bit of my own touch 😀

Tubing is futurefly 1.8 and 3.0 mm (10 mm brass tube).
Tail is pink craft fur.
Body starts with some pearl tinsel and finishes with golden yellow dubbing from salmo supreme.
Wing 1 is yellow polarbear.
Wing 2 is fox sunburst yellow.
Wing 3 is black temple dog.
2 strains of silverflash and 3 peacock herls.
Hackle are rooster feather.
And finished with some JC cheeks and a silver ufo disc from futurefly
Hood Fin Fish Terrestrial plant Tail

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.