Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Welcome to Tie of the Month
November 2022

Introduction
The format of the 2022 Tie of the Month competition will remain the same as it was in 2021 with no changes. As ever prizes are not guaranteed but with or without them this is a very friendly competition that is open to everyone regardless of your ability and a specific newcomer's section for which a prize is available to reflect that. So please do join in by submitting your flies and engaging in the banter because your tying will improve and so will your general feeling of happiness!

CHANGE TO RULE 5: you may re-photograph an entered fly but the fly may no longer be changed after submission.

To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at. It is worth noting that often it is not the neatest, most skillful or most complex tying that wins but the fly that the voters feel is most likely to catch a fish or is simply the most inventive or witty (see the winning entry from mc andy in the April 2020 competition ;)). There is also no pressure to enter every month but do note that points are awarded just for entering each month. Just enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result from producing patterns that you may not otherwise have considered tying!

Please also note that the flies you tie are used as a reference by many people and so your posts are creating a great reference section for everyone. I therefore ask and encourage everyone entering to include a list of the materials used with each photo.

Clearly photography plays a part in this competition and many (possibly most) photo's are taken very successfully using a phone camera. A few tips to help though:
As much as possible try and take the photo in natural daylight
On many smart phones tapping the screen to select the point of focus can result in the camera focussing on the vice or another large solid object near the fly. If that happens, try taking the photo at a greater distance from the fly without selecting the point of focus and then crop it (also note rule 7 below)
Be careful of the background for both clutter and background colour can make it harder to see, or with a good choice, highlight the fly.

"Remember, remember the fifth of November"
John Milton once penned a famous poem that begins:

Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason

Should ever be forgot.

The poem of course refers to Guy Fawkes and his now infamous plot to blow up London's Houses of Parliament on November 5th 1605. Fawkes's aim was to remove King James I from the throne, and restore Britain's Catholic monarchy. Had he succeeded Guy Fawkes would have not only killed the entirety of London's governing body, but also taken much of London and its citizens down with them. However, the plot was discovered by authorities and Guy Fawkes was arrested, tortured, tried, and executed. After that Guy Fawkes should have become a forgotten martyr or terrorist of history. And yet November 5th has become a recognised British holiday: Guy Fawkes Day, or 'Bonfire night', when large bonfires, burning effigies of Guy Fawkes and elaborate firework displays are had!......

This month, to finish TOTM with a seasonal BANG, I want you to go creative. Tie an 'NEW' fly that best encapsulates your take on a good old firework display, with an explosion of colour! Due to the vast array of colours at your disposal, this shouldnt be too difficult surely? 🤯🧨💥🔥😁

SPECIFIC GUIDANCE

Your entry must be something NEW and before unseen. A design of your own!! But other than that, I will leave it to you to set this comp a lite 🔥! I'm expecting some real firecrackers 🧨😉

TOTM format.
1. The main TOTM event
This runs each month from January to November with a different theme being set each month. Voting takes place the following month and is open to all members of the forum. Points will be awarded as noted below. In the case of a tie, full points will be awarded to each entrant in that position. Entries with 0 votes will not be placed:
1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 7 points
3rd place: 5 points
4th place: 3 points
5th place: 2 points
6th place: 1 point

All entries will be awarded 4 points regardless of the number of votes.

Prizes will be awarded to the top places according to the total points gained by each entrant after voting on November's entries has completed.

Depending on prize availability, there will be a lucky draw open to all entrants. Every fly entered will be matched by an entry to the draw and so the more months you enter the better your chance of winning! This will be organised by myself using a random number generator.

2. Fly of the Year
Each months winning fly (or flies if the result is drawn) will be entered into this competition with voting taking place in December. The fly with the most votes wins.

3. Newcomers
Entry to this section is based on trust and honesty. If you have been tying salmon flies for less than 12 months and have not entered TOTM before (you may have tied trout, pike or bass flies before) then please clearly state 'NEWCOMER' at the top of each months post containing your entry. This will ensure I don't miss it!

Further awards may be forthcoming as the year progresses in which case this section will be updated and alny prizes announced in a seperate thread.

TOTM Standard Rules
1. This competition is run for the fun and enjoyment of everyone on the forum in a good natured manner and so please observe the usual forum rules to remain an entrant. My role is simply to facilitate its smooth operation but while in that position, I reserve the right to make the final decision in resolving any dispute.

2. You can only enter one photo for each months entry which must have been posted by midnight on the last day of each months competition. Entries with more than one photo will immediately be disqualified unless specifically allowed as part of each months theme.

3. Unless stated otherwise, the photo should contain only one pattern/version of a fly. There can be multiple copies of the pattern chosen, but they must as far as possible be identical in size and form so that it's clear what is being voted for.

4. Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or other social media. You can tie another version of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another post to TOTM. You can however repost your entry after your photo has been submitted.

5. UPDATED for 2022. Your entry may not be changed after submission. You may change your photo as many times as you like but the same fly must be used. Please ensure you delete the previous version to avoid falling foul of rule two. If there are any problems with deletion please inform me before the month closes.

6. At the end of each month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will be time limited (generally to a full month), open to everyone on the forum and your name will be shown against the flies ( you get 3 votes) that received the votes.

7. As the competition is about the fly I reserve the right to crop photo's to as close to the fly as possible when setting up the poll

8. People accepted as beginners will be entered into the main monthly competition and to the beginners competition.

9. The competition will run each month from February to November.

10. Two polls will be run in December each lasting for approximately two weeks. The first will be for the November entries, and the second for fly of the year.

11. Prizes are not guaranteed. They have been offered out of the generosity of forum members and no one involved in running the competition or that is involved in running or managing the forum accepts any liability should any prize not be forthcoming for any reason

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
A bit like Christmas ads you are. Hadn't even manners to wait until Halloween was over!!! 🤦‍♂️😂 Get Iain back quick!!! 🤣

I'll have to go back and actually read the post now. 😊

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit like Christmas ads you are. Hadn't even manners to wait until Halloween was over!!! 🤦‍♂️😂 Get Iain back quick!!! 🤣

I'll have to go back and actually read the post now. 😊
Sorry about that, I've a couple of busy days coming up and I didn't want to stick it up 'late'..... 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Jockiescott

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
Sorry about that, I've a couple of busy days coming up and I didn't want to stick it up 'late'..... 😉
Ack I'm only messing. 😁

Does original mean something new and not seen before or an established pattern tied to original pattern lists but colourful?

I do hope it's the first one. 😉

Reactions: SnapT14

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ack I'm only messing. 😁

Does original mean something new and not seen before or an established pattern tied to original pattern lists but colourful?

I do hope it's the first one. 😉
Yes, Original, as in New. I'll change the thread to clarify that now 👍

• Thanks
Reactions: Jockiescott

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Learned well you have Nathan"
View attachment 87725

Brilliant theme and easily as 'bad' as mine (y) :oops::ROFLMAO:
Cheers Iain, but I've still some learning to do unfortunately. In hindsight, I may have been better to upload the theme for November tonight, and not last night. The reason being is that with Jockie historically quicker out of the blocks than Usain Bolt with a rocket up his chuff, we may have seen him enter two flies within the month of October 😂😂😂

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
Cheers Iain, but I've still some learning to do unfortunately. In hindsight, I may have been better to upload the theme for November tonight, and not last night. The reason being is that with Jockie historically quicker out of the blocks than Usain Bolt with a rocket up his chuff, we may have seen him enter two flies within the month of October 😂😂😂
No it will be a day or two yet before I get anything tied. I have a couple of materials ordered that might just come in handy for this months theme. 😏

Reactions: SnapT14

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Just wait until you do a late night poll and forget to add someone's name to the poll, or their fly to the post of entries :oops: 😬

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I might live to regret being impetuous but as I felt inspired here's an opener from me. A first at being first…:oops:

Hook: fulling mill magni gold
Thread: black
Tail: red boar bristle, yellow fox squirrel, aqua micro crystal flash, gold crystal flash, orange shadow fox,
Rear body: holo copper tinsel, gold wire rib
Mid hackle: red hen
Front body: black seals fur, gold wire rib
Hackle one: yellow badger hen
Hackle two: keough hen black

3D9DF0F7-35EB-414A-84C0-354776BD66E3.jpeg

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might live to regret being impetuous but as I felt inspired here's an opener from me. A first at being first…:oops:

Tail: red boar bristle, yellow fox squirrel, aqua micro crystal flash, gold crystal flash, orange shadow fox,

View attachment 87831
At a quick glance, that almost looks as if it on fire...... 👌
Cracking first entry Iain 👍

• Thanks
Reactions: iainmortimer

·
Registered
669 Posts

View attachment 87831
What's the name of that fly Iain,I've got 2 of them in my box and fish the pair of them at the same time,the tail one is slightly bigger so it goes on the tail,I've had a few fair good pulls on em,to tell you the gists of it big fella,I can't even remember buying them! and I don't know the name of it,if you could help…thanks Iain.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
What's the name of that fly Iain,I've got 2 of them in my box and fish the pair of them at the same time,the tail one is slightly bigger so it goes on the tail,I've had a few fair good pulls on em,to tell you the gists of it big fella,I can't even remember buying them! and I don't know the name of it,if you could help…thanks Iain.
I have absolutely no idea as I genuinely just jumped onto my vice after putting some flat pack units together thanks to my wife saying that doing that was not much different to just sitting at my vice creative wise! The fly started from the idea of short tying the top colour on the tail which came from something I had knocked up once before using that approach for both hackle and tail as it really makes the colour punch above its weight and so creates a hot spot. I figured it would look either like the bonfire or a rocket flying into a dark sky as inspiration from the theme.

I guess its got some similarity to a park shrimp though - is it perhaps a couple of those you have?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Okay, for the sake of it let's call this Fireworks & Fire.
Hook - Ahrex HR420G
Body - UV Orange Ice dubbing
Wings - layered Marabou in white, yellow, fl red, chartreuse & orange
Wing Accent - Krystal Flash KF13
Eyes - tip of blue saddle hackle
Head - Loon Hard Head Black
Thread - Danville 140 in white
View attachment 87947
All that material and still just a weeny head! As with DrP's last month, that flash of blue really sets it off nicely.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, for the sake of it let's call this Fireworks & Fire.
Hook - Ahrex HR420G
Body - UV Orange Ice dubbing
Wings - layered Marabou in white, yellow, fl red, chartreuse & orange
Wing Accent - Krystal Flash KF13
Eyes - tip of blue saddle hackle
Head - Loon Hard Head Black
Thread - Danville 140 in white
View attachment 87947
There's something about marabou that looks almost flame like. I also love the blue through that 👌🔥

1 - 20 of 60 Posts