Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who can remember the fly pattern that caught your first fly fished salmon?

Mine was a fully dressed curry's red shrimp with swan veilings on the Clongee beat of the Moy some 30 years back.

I can remember the day well as it was July and extremely hot and fishing in rubber waders was uncomfortable.

Although I had caught many salmon on spinners and natural baits before I really didn't know what I was doing.

I can remember trying damn hard to remove the fly from what I thought was another rock the fly was stuck on when right below me a tide bright salmon jumped.

I handlined that fish in like a stockie rainbow didn't have a clue how to play a salmon on a fly rod it was a tide bright fish of about 10lbs

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Size 12 Black Stoats tail oct 2015 last day of the season in the last hour, had a few before on spinners and fly cs over the years and had tried hard on the fly but no results .. still one of my go to flys , had three rods on the opposite bank in September this year raking the river with raps and spoons found a gap inbetween them and pulled out two decent fish in 30 mins on a size 12 black stoats I don’t think they had touched a fish or did either after but shows how deadly the fly can be in hard pressured water.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
My 1st fly caught fish was on a size 16 Hardy's Gold Butcher, 3lb cast and my Tony Fordham 9ft 3 ins 7 weight reservoir rod to the Intrepid Rimfly. I had plenty of backing, but the knot wouldn't pass through the rigs, so I ran up n down the bank following the fish until I could rugby tackle it onto the bank.
No idea where that fly ever ended up at all, probably snapped it off on a back cast somewhere, like most of my flies
I still recall every nano second of that monumental occasion as if it were yesterday!.
Pedro.
P.S like a complete pillock I forgot the most tiniest smallest unimportant detail of the lot, it was 18lb and a stonking bar of Silver!.
P.

·
Registered
92 Posts
9' 4# rod ,size 16 GRHE, 4lb leader, and a 11lb springer that I had to walk back and forth along the bank like a dog before finding the ******** to land it.

That experience moved me from trout and grayling fishing into the endless pursuit of these mysterious fish.

Funnily enough I had a 6lb salmon take a grayling nymph last week after having a pretty dismal back end.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
As a youth I had caught salmon in England with all manner of nefarious methods, for which, if my father had known, he would have flayed me alive. I caught Pacific salmon in quantity in my early 30s on flies with a single handed rod, but they didn't count, although the steelhead was unforgettable.

For salmon it was a #12 Silver Stoat at Tomatin on the Findhorn in September 2005, a small, stale almost black grilse in drought-low, warm water in near-darkness in total desperation to catch a salmon before dinner on the Saturday night to avoid yet another blank week. It may have been an ugly fish but I was so pleased and relieved I could have kissed it.

It lit the flame.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
I caught my first fly caught salmon in June 1987from the Exe. I had already caught a fair number on spinner or bait and I had lost 3 or 4 hooked on fly. I cycled from school to the river with my waders in a rucksack and my Diawa CF98 11'3 5-7wt strapped to the frame. I had a mill end DT 6 sink tip and a rimfly reel, 10 feet of level 12lb brown maxima and a size 8 black and yellow Esmund Drury tied myself, not especially well! The fish was a fresh grilse and I had a fair faff with an awful folding landing net. Next cast I caught another and as I was landing it my father turned up. He had a go and got a slightly larger fish. I went again and got a third! They were all from the same pool! I had to go back to school on my bike but Dad fished on without catching another fish. Happy days.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
September 2001, silver bodied orange Ally shrimp, sz. 12 tied on a treble, from the Bandon River
Bought the fly in O'Neills tackle shop in Killarney, Co. Kerry.
Caught my first ever salmon that summer, 9lb on a worm, and my biggest, 18lb.
Tried fly fishing in a pool a short distance above the tide and didn't take me long to catch my first fly caught fish on a 7 weight single hander. 6lb, covered in sea lice. At a time when we used to catch proper, fresh run backend salmon.
2001 was a good year!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Who can remember the fly pattern that caught your first fly fished salmon?

Mine was a fully dressed curry's red shrimp with swan veilings on the Clongee beat of the Moy some 30 years back.

I can remember the day well as it was July and extremely hot and fishing in rubber waders was uncomfortable.

Although I had caught many salmon on spinners and natural baits before I really didn't know what I was doing.

I can remember trying damn hard to remove the fly from what I thought was another rock the fly was stuck on when right below me a tide bright salmon jumped.

I handlined that fish in like a stockie rainbow didn't have a clue how to play a salmon on a fly rod it was a tide bright fish of about 10lbs
The fast water just above The Long pool on the Granton association water . The fly was a red white and silver thing I bought it from the small tackle shop in Granton think it was called Stewart's and the fly was a Stewart's special .1980 approximately .
A lovely silver Grilse on a summers evening happy days.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
My first salmon, was a grilse on the River Irvine at Caprington when I was 14, I caught it on a Teal Blue & Silver size 8 double with one hook broken off. I was using my 9’6” Diawa for a 7 weight and fishing with my brother Donald who blanked which made it all the sweeter. I went on to catch a fair few fish after that, still love using single handers for Salmon

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
My first salmon was caught on a fly we still call "the red fly" 20 years ago, the river had been up and was dropping back and i knew it would be perfect the next day,only the next day was sunday! well sunday came and i coulnt help myself so sneeked down caught my first salmon and was home for breakfast, here is the fish and fly.
Vertebrate Water Plant Fisherman Fish
Artificial fly Fishing bait Razor Bait Fish hook

1 - 20 of 82 Posts