Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone able to recommend decent priced supplier of level T-14?

The 2011 Rio coils have jumped to £30 from £20 for the luxury of a couple of loops on either end - unless I am missing something??

· Registered
162 Posts
Hi,
you can also google "Steve Godshall", he produces zinc-coated tips in different sinkrates. They have a braided core for splicing loops and are more supple. He sells it in ready-to-go tips or ad bulk (25 cent per foot).
Cheers
David

· Registered
387 Posts
Sorry to butt into the thread but would just like to let anybody intending to do welded loops know that it is extremely difficult. The melting temperature of the coating is not far from the melting temperature of the mono core. If you try to weld it like a shooting head using a heat source and shrink tubing you will find you keep melting the core.

I have managed it a couple of times but due to the thin coating I am a bit dubious about its strength. The proper way to do it is to use an oven thermometer with the probe in the air coming out of your heat gun so that you do not cook the core.

The Rio Tungsten 30ft (9m) coils now come with a colour coded preformed loop at each end to aid rigging. I would imagine this is in response to the popularity of the Airflo Custom Cut Tips which already had a preformed loop at each end.

Rio "T" material comes in 500ft (152m) & 30ft (9m) & Coils
T-8 weighs 8 grains per foot & sinks at 7 inches per second
T-11 weighs 11 grains per foot & sinks at 8 inches per second
T-14 weighs 14 grains per foot & sinks at 9 inches per second
T-17 weighs 17 grains per foot & sinks at 10 inches per second

The Airflo Custom Cut Tips come pre looped at a shorter length of 20ft (6.1m)
CCT 20-200 weighs 10 grains per foot & sinks at 7.5 inches per second
CCT 20-330 weighs 16.5 grains per foot & sinks at 9.5 inches per second
CCT 20-470 weighs 23.5 grains per foot & sinks at 11.5 inches per second

Hope this info is of use.

Cheers
Neil

· Registered
4,878 Posts
Don't even try to weld a loop on T-14 ( I hate mono cores - why did we go there?:confused:).

I like the sound of the Steve Godshall stuff as it appears that you may be able to weld loops on it - the price seems good to!
I use T14 for salwater fly fishing, but have never bothered to get more of it for making fast tips. It really does sink at an impressive rate, even in a rip tide.

· Registered
6,885 Posts
One point re Lead Core,allthough T Whatever sinks quickly and maybe faster than Lead Core you may find a lot of club,association,ticket and private waters still ban the use of Lead Core and as a consequence you could find yourself in a bit of bother using it in the wrong place etc. etc.
This is/was purely down to how Some People used it in past years-as an aid to foul hooking/ripping,generaly extracting Salar anywhere other than the mouth.As ever any very quick sinking stuff needs a little care and thought over its use,many Baliffs,beat owners et al still get a little nervous over Anglers using such gear,especially in low water with numbers of fish in the water.Not casting aspertions here merely pointing out a practical thought or two-I use such stuff myself from time to time.Pedro.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.