Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am brand new on here and came on mainly because of a question I have about a new Partridge of Redditch rod I bought; 13ft taking an 8/9 line (recommended head weight 42g). My only spey casting before this was on an 11'6" grilse type rod with a fighting butt (so sort of double handed) and a double tapered line aftm#8. I am thinking about buying the Snowbee 2D with changeable tips. Should I get the 8/9, or overload the rod a bit and get the 9/10. This line has a 62 foot head, the 8/9 weighs 36g and the 9/10 weighs 40g. I found this table of recommended line weights (http://www.flyfisherman.com/spey/2handedrods/index4.html) and it would seem to suggest over loading the rod. Also, as i'm new to this, maybe a 62 foot head on a 13foot rod is far too long???.. Its all so technical, I haven't that much cash, and I don't want to buy the wrong stuff so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance...

· Registered
11,494 Posts
I would buy the 9/10 and start casting with the colour change anywhere from your top hand to mid way down the rod, start to lengthen a little more as you feel comfortable. I wouldnt expect you to cast with the colour change much further up than the last third of the rod as 62' outside the tip is a fair bit for a 13' rod and novice caster.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats great springer thanks.... good to know I'm on the right track... Do you think thats a good choice of line for the rod I'll be using or do you happen to have any expert recommendations?! I saw some folk on here saying good things about the Hardy Mach 2 (and it has a 55ft head so probably better for someone starting off) but I don't think it has multi-tip option... I've read a few threads about trouble with multi-tips too so maybe I should avoid them? Either way I mean to get a line in the next few days because I want to get out on the water with the new rod!

Thx again.

· Banned
1,322 Posts
Time to 'agree to disagree' with our Fearless Leader?

I think the line you have chosen is a good one or the Guideline 'Drury' Multi-Tip in 8/9 as its a little shorter in the head.
To the poster, first you have what we 'Yanks' would call a 'switch rod,' or at least the end length (11/13 foot) of that game. First (and I'm dead beat as I type this,so if spelling et. al. goes to heck in a hand basket give me a 'pass' this time) ... back to business.

What size river/water flow are you fishing? What size flies (size and weight) are you intending to chuck?

Small/lighter would suggest the lighter line; bigger (either way) would suggest the heavier line as you need 'grains' to get the 'chuck-stuff' out there.

Just my .02 cents.;)

fe

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Fred thx for the feedback,

I'll be fishing a small-medium sized spate river and when water conditions are low, I fish it with the single hander... I also have a #8 DT line I can use on the new partridge rod... In other words, those are the times I would be fishing smaller flies. This leads me to say that with a new line, by and large, I'll be wanting to throw a fairly decent sized fly on a sinker for spate conditions. So I think the 9/10 option suggested by Springer (or 8/9 if going for a shorter head line) is a good/safe bet.

Incidentally can I just say that this is an amazing website for the would be salmon fisher. Getting feedback and opinions from knowledgable anglers as well as reading the different threads is a lifeline if your learning the ropes in a time of advertising and manufacturing "frenzyism", especially when your budget is tight! So thanks very much for all the feedback guys I really appreciate it.

· Registered
11,494 Posts
Incidentally can I just say that this is an amazing website for the would be salmon fisher. Getting feedback and opinions from knowledgable anglers as well as reading the different threads is a lifeline if your learning the ropes in a time of advertising and manufacturing "frenzyism", especially when your budget is tight! So thanks very much for all the feedback guys I really appreciate it.
Thanks for the kind words B2L.

When I launched this forum with the help and support of a group of like minded others (some of whom I now regard as friends) it was esentially to provide what you describe above.

A successful forum needs solid management vision, help and commitment from moderators (of which Ive had plenty, past and present) but most of all it needs loyal and enthusiastic members who stick with you through thick and thin to make the place an interesting, informative and fun place to visit.

Thankfully we seem to posses all of the above :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.