Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As requested. I've had to tie this with a flutter cone instead of a conehead. Got a dodgy batch that don't fit the tubing. But it's exactly the same process, add whatever cone you like

Plant Tints and shades Natural material Heat Event

Materials, switch colours as you see fit.

I've tied the copper version here

1.8mm tube liner
19mm Sean stanton shrimp tube unflanged
Yellow fox
Boar bristles
Crystal flash
Large orange hen hackle
Copper lite brite
Fine oval tinsel
Black hen hackle small

1. Start thread on the liner and build up a ramp to the tube. Then firmly wrap over the tube. This will hold it in place

Event Audio equipment Metal Engineering Macro photography

2. Grab a thick bunch of fox

Finger Gesture Engineering Tire Thumb

3. Wrap a loose turn and roll the fox around the tube. There's a knack to this, if you can't do it just distribute the fox using your finger

Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Petal Twig

4. Trim the butt ends and tidy up a little. But don't worry too much about neatness just now.

Flower Plant Twig Tree Grass

5. Tie in boar bristles, I prefer these to cock hackle stems as they're much harder wearing and have a nice shine. Tie in every 90 degrees

Flower Plant Petal Flowering plant Grass

6. Tie in flash in the gaps between the bristles, 4 strands in total.

Flower Plant Petal Flowering plant Grass

7. Tie in a large hen hackle, from the very top of the cape. The ones you never use! Great way to use them up.

wind on a good 4 turns , try and keep it neat and wrap in touching turns. Then tie off

Water Plant Wood Grass Event

Feather Twig Event Fashion accessory Glass

8. Add the oval tinsel

Water Flower Arthropod Eyewear Automotive wheel system

9. Now grab some lite brite . It's got really long fibres which are great for this (and Samuari!). Dub on a thin noodle and wrap down towards the head, just into the liner tubing

Food Material property Ingredient Plastic wrap Comfort food

Arthropod Twig Pest Terrestrial plant Insect

10. Then add some more dubbing and wrap back towards the butt, then repeat back down to the head. So 3 runs in total. We want a good base to brush out.

Plant Flower Twig Terrestrial plant Event

Close-up Twig Event Macro photography Windshield

11. Wrap the oval tinsel down in 4 or 5 tight turns. This secures the dubbing

Water Plant Window Incense Event

11. Take a small black hen hackle and tie in . I like the wee fluffy ones here.
Liver Dog Dog breed Grey Feather

Feather Twig Close-up Metal Tail

Artificial fly Fishing bait Feather Bait Arthropod

12. Apply a dab of superglue , slide cone on and melt the liner

Artificial fly Terrestrial plant Event Fishing bait Bait

14. Now take a bit of velcro and brush backwards towards the tail to release some of the dubbing.

Insect Arthropod Pollinator Pest Parasite

15. Brush until you're happy, trim the boar bristles to suit, or just leave them.

Insect Arthropod Pollinator Pest Parasite

Hope that helps. I'll be trying these out in different sizes, never caught on a snaelda but I know folk that don't fish anything else

Cheers

Attachments

· Registered
277 Posts
A very clear and fairly easy SBS to follow, definitely one to try and add to the fly box. The chosen materials will give a lot of movement in the water and like most flies, you can mix and match the colour combinations to suit. Thanks for taking the time to do the SBS.

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the SBS - I realy like the look of the long orange hen over the fox - (and you could reverse it to be yellow over orange). I reckon I'll get a few tied up for the big water (y)
I'm doing exactly what you suggested tonight funnily enough. And a black and gold. The world's your lobster with colours. Thank you sir

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A very clear and fairly easy SBS to follow, definitely one to try and add to the fly box. The chosen materials will give a lot of movement in the water and like most flies, you can mix and match the colour combinations to suit. Thanks for taking the time to do the SBS.
I've only fished this once for a few hours, I have a video somewhere of it in the water. Will try and find it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts