Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm that salmon and perhaps other fish are more likely to 'take' if birds are singing, showing , feeding etc.?
Reg Righyni does lightly mention this in his mostly impenetrable work Salmon Taking times...I know I feel much more confident when a few LBJs, linnets ,or wagtails are evident. No NOT febs .
A bird-less mid afternoon just seems better spent preparing for the arrival of pipistrelles and Daubentons.
Thoughts and observations please

· Registered
6,889 Posts
meyre, I'd say your right 100% there. Not just birds I'd say, but there are times you feel that shall we say " lift" in the atmosphere around us, birds singing, temp. rises a bit maybe a positive move on the barometer.
At this time of year it might only be for an hour or so in the middle of the day or maybe just before it gets dark, but its happened too many times to me personally for me to feel I should ignore it, not just for Salmon either!.
Wasn't it Falkus who called it "The Magic Moment" ?.
Pedro.

· Registered
9,815 Posts
I would say definitely the case. Classically when a cold wind drops, the temperature rises a bit and ideally there is a rise in barometric pressure.

An article I read many years ago described it as a "micro climate" within the day.
I see this alot with stockie trout. A slight change in wind direction or speed can make a massive change in switching fish on and off. Its rare we have enough salmon in front of us to really experiment or note these things due to so many other variables.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

· Registered
12,135 Posts
What would make the birds 'switch off'? Barometric pressure?

I can't honestly say I've ever noticed the birds switch off but I do get the feeling at times of the river being 'dead'. Those days when "there's not even a brown trout showing", when someone asks you if you've seen any fish.

There definitely are days, regardless of water height and colour, that as long as I see brown trout breaking the surface, I'm confident enough stick at it. Those days the surface of the river is flat without a break in it, I just don't have the same confidence.

Perhaps that's all it is? Confidence, or lack of. Perhaps I just don't fish the same on those days that don't just feel right to me?

Ill definitely pay more attention this season to hear if the bird song relates to those 'dead' days at the river. 🙂

· Registered
9,815 Posts
What would make the birds 'switch off'? Barometric pressure?

I can't honestly say I've ever noticed the birds switch off but I do get the feeling at times of the river being 'dead'. Those days when "there's not even a brown trout showing", when someone asks you if you've seen any fish.

There definitely are days, regardless of water height and colour, that as long as I see brown trout breaking the surface, I'm confident enough stick at it. Those days the surface of the river is flat without a break in it, I just don't have the same confidence.

Perhaps that's all it is? Confidence, or lack of. Perhaps I just don't fish the same on those days that don't just feel right to me?

Ill definitely pay more attention this season to hear if the bird song relates to those 'dead' days at the river.
I think confidence is the main thing. If you fish hard with a fly you like and are casting well then you seem to catch.

· Registered
12,135 Posts
I think confidence is the main thing. If you fish hard with a fly you like and are casting well then you seem to catch.

Well, I'm not sure about the casting bit for me but I'll give you the other two! 😬🤣

Reactions: Rrrr

· Registered
1,712 Posts

It's not just confidence, although that helps.
It's more to do with a softening of the air, slight warming up etc, this encourages the birds to start singing and hopefully the salmon, if there are any, to take.
I fished for many years with Duncan Glass who caught many thousands of fish from the Tay and he was a great believer in this. Incidentally he also believed in the "11.00 o' clock fish" mentioned in an earlier post.

· Registered
9,815 Posts
It's not just confidence, although that helps.
It's more to do with a softening of the air, slight warming up etc, this encourages the birds to start singing and hopefully the salmon, if there are any, to take.
I fished for many years with Duncan Glass who caught many thousands of fish from the Tay and he was a great believer in this. Incidentally he also believed in the "11.00 o' clock fish" mentioned in an earlier post.
Funny thing with the 11am fish is that when you mention it to someone else, it starts happening to them

· Registered
6,889 Posts
This clock thing rings a bell with me too. 8 am on the Tay, those that know me on Stormont know my thoughts on that. 4pm on Ribble too!, don't know why, but there will be a reason once I've figured it!. Very early spring apart, just after sun up too, that works for me on just about every river!
Pedro.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts