Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post in quite a while, work seems to have consumed me this year and it looks like there will be no salmon fishing for me until my October week, c’est la vie! After a chat with a couple of colleagues one mentioned he’s done fairly well on the tweed with the gold,silver pearl mixed sparkler type tubes that you’d normally see used on the rudder at Rutland/Grafham etc. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried or had success with this type of thing? I’ve been meaning to give them a swing for years but the ever reliable red frances has ended up being like a comfy pair of slippers and seems to get tied on as a matter of course, I’d be keen to hear your thoughts.

All the best

Andy

· Registered
2,304 Posts
I have seen salmon caught on some very strange flies over the years on rivers and anything is worth giving a swim if "trad tubes/flies" don't do the business.
Examples:
Gold Bead Hares Ear
Cats Whiskers (in pink, yellow and white)
Gold Bead Goats Toe
Booby.
To name just a few.......:tongue:

· Registered
2,780 Posts
I read a storey once, may have been on this site where and angler took his wife fishing and asked her to choose a fly, she chose a big sparkler like you fish for stockies with, larger than you would choose for the conditions but she caught something like 3 salmon to his zero. It goes to show ring the changes and try something different, if you've confidence in what you're fishing you will increase the odds multi-fold

· Registered
11,726 Posts
I read a storey once, may have been on this site where and angler took his wife fishing and asked her to choose a fly, she chose a big sparkler like you fish for stockies with, larger than you would choose for the conditions but she caught something like 3 salmon to his zero. It goes to show ring the changes and try something different, if you've confidence in what you're fishing you will increase the odds multi-fold
I've witnessed a lovely South Esk springer fall to an orange blob fished by a visiting angler from down sarf! Just goes to show, if they're in the mood they'll have anything!

· Registered
13,162 Posts
I'm a great believer in fishing what others are not. I will have to try them! I often catch on reservoir patterns, especially snakes and minkies, and I find size largely a myth. It seems like a good shout to me!

· Registered
2,304 Posts
I'm a great believer in fishing what others are not. I will have to try them! I often catch on reservoir patterns, especially snakes and minkies, and I find size largely a myth. It seems like a good shout to me!
The commercially tied snakes can sometimes not be up to the job. I hooked a salmon on the loch last year and the braid that fed through the barred rabbit skin snapped!

· Registered
6,885 Posts
I have a rather sad feeling it won't matter what you fish on the Tweed in October this year or for some years after either!
For those of us foolhardy enough to be trying the autumn fishing this year,I think confidence in fishing a particular pattern and pure luck in finding a taking fish will have just as much bearing!.
Pedro.

· Registered
13,162 Posts
The commercially tied snakes can sometimes not be up to the job. I hooked a salmon on the loch last year and the braid that fed through the barred rabbit skin snapped!
I'm going to tie some with a size 16 owner treble in the back, not allowed where you are, but I loose a lot of sea trout on them with the single hook. A mate who does serious competition fishing reckons mink strip is far better than rabbit.

Did you get some of that rain? The Polla and Strathmore rivers came up and I guess the Dionard did too.

· Registered
2,304 Posts
I'm going to tie some with a size 16 owner treble in the back, not allowed where you are, but I loose a lot of sea trout on them with the single hook. A mate who does serious competition fishing reckons mink strip is far better than rabbit.

Did you get some of that rain? The Polla and Strathmore rivers came up and I guess the Dionard did too.
Yes Loxie.....River rose to +3.5" on the bridge gauge. A few fish came off but strangely all old fish. I can only think the freshies ran straight through into the loch:confused: The loch is rather dirty at the moment with lots of small debris and needs a few days to settle to get the clarity back. I'm hoping to get on the loch Thursday...........Use my favourite set up of a Kate McLaren Muddler and either a wee cascade or willie gunn double:thumb:

· Registered
3,197 Posts
I have a rather sad feeling it won't matter what you fish on the Tweed in October this year or for some years after either!
For those of us foolhardy enough to be trying the autumn fishing this year,I think confidence in fishing a particular pattern and pure luck in finding a taking fish will have just as much bearing!.
Pedro.
Glenlivet

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Met a coarse angler once who had been using a swimfeeder with a single grain of sweetcorn on the hook. He could see a Salmon and repeatedly cast the feeder and corn past it. It eventually took the corn and was landed.
Have seen them grab a ledger weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.