Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on this one - I have a Seeland Jacket(Lingfield) which I bought several years ago, probably at least 5 years or so. The last 2 or 3 times i've had it out in the rain i've come back wet through, particularly middle of the back area. Its presumably not the seams that are leaking, more so its the actual waterproof membrane. No point in treating it with nikwax etc as thats really for the outer fabric rather than the membrane. Im inclined to email Seeland although I read from their website that the warranty wont cover 'normal wear and tear'...whatever that means. Has anyone else experience of Seeland customer services? As a slight aside i've got a couple of goretex jackets and similar 'membrane' items of outer clothing which are probably twice the age(perhaps even longer) than the Seeland and theyre still as waterproof as the day I bought them, never even used nikwax or reproofing on them either.

· Banned
4,165 Posts
Try the Nikwax on it first Mike . It will likely work . The water will just bead and run off it .
I have a Harkilla mountain grouse jacket and troosers/ full suit and its still amazing .
I Nikwax it every year though in the bath .
Seeland and Harkilla are the same company and they are usually really good at customer service .

· Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Marc. Im heading into town shortly, I might just pick up a bottle of the stuff and try it, its worth a go i suppose although I think its the inner membrane thats probably knackered.

G

·
There's no such thing as a 100% water proof jacket unless it's made from a non breathable material like rubber or PVC.
Barbour,Musto,Seeland,Schoffell,Paramo,Harkila..I've had them all and some are better than others but when it comes to a serious pissin' down for hours on end they all fail.
I really do believe that there is no such thing as a material that can let moisture out but not let it in.
Not good is it.

· Registered
10,083 Posts
I had a goretex berghaus that was doing that and nikwash and then nikwax sorted it. Just make sure the washers not got any residue of bio washing stuff in as it clogs the breathable material.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's no such thing as a 100% water proof jacket unless it's made from a non breathable material like rubber or PVC.
Barbour,Musto,Seeland,Schoffell,Paramo,Harkila..I've had them all and some are better than others but when it comes to a serious pissin' down for hours on end they all fail.
I really do believe that there is no such thing as a material that can let moisture out but not let it in.
Not good is it.
I take your point to a certain degree Simon although id have to say that my Patagonia jacket with Patagonias own make H2no membrane and my old berghaus goretex jacket are completely waterproof. Theyre years old in comparison to the Seeland, been out in all sorts with them and not once have they let me down. Theyve never had fancy washes or chemicals appliex either.

My goretex waders dont leak either. If ive ever had waders fail on me its because the seams have leaked, not the membrane. In the case of my Seeland jacket its the membrane thats leaking, not the seams.

· Registered
5,818 Posts
Mike,

it's essential to do both stages of the Nikwax process - wash followed by re-proof.

Don't wash breathable membranes with anything else as most of the mainstream detergents contain additives that leave deposits which can 'bridge' the membrane's perforations and allow water to infuse the fabric. This is what might have happened with this jacket, especially if you've not used it with a rucksack that might otherwise have damaged the membrane.

M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.