Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've recently bought a 9'6 7wt with a view to targeting some ST in the salt next year.

I don't want to buy an 'expensive' reel that's at risk of being knackered in a season by saltwater - I appreciate all gear should be thoroughly washed immediately after a session in the salt but inevitably I'll get home, put my feet up, pour a dram and forget about it... So does anyone have any recommendations for a budget reel that can stand up to some abuse? 'Budget' to me means less than £100, ideally around £50.

While we're on topic, do any saltwater guys on here have a favoured line for coastal work? I'm thinking a floating WF7 from the seconds selection at Angling Active to get going?!

Cheers,

EJR

· Registered
269 Posts
I'll do the line first: go for an intermediate (preferably a slime line) for most UK use, not a floater. You will get down deeper, and intermediates cut through the swell and waves much better, so you stay in touch with your fly. I can't remember when I last used (or needed) a floater in the UK.

As for reels, you can get some really good older reels that are perfect for SWFF. I would look for a Scientific Anglers Series 2 reel: they are utterly bombproof, and will be fine if you ever go to the tropics. The old Orvis Battenkills (the "classics", not even the LAs) are also terrific workhorses. I normally fish a Battenkill 8/9, but the 6/7 is fine with an intermediate and gel-spun bucking.

· Registered
2,205 Posts
FLADEN MAXXIMUS 8/9 Fly Reel | eBay

Fladen Maxximus Fly S Wide are a range of reels designed for the more exacting fly fisherman, with weights from 6-7 to 10-11, for all aspects of fly fishing. Manufactured using aircraft quality aluminium, and fitted with a faultless drag system, they rival the most expensive on the market, at an astonishingly affordable price.

CNC Machined 6061-T6 Aluminium
Large Arbor Spool Design
Saltwater and Corrosion Resistant
Disc Drag System
Easy Change Right and Left Hand Retrieval
1+1 RB Structure

Spool Diameter: 88mm
Spool Width: 30mm
Backing: 150yds / 20lb

All you need there for the money if you click on the link at the top of my post.

· Registered
3,368 Posts
I was looking for a cheap reel for very occasional salt water fishing - but that I could use on the river. I got an Airflo Airtec - very reasonably priced (I think I got mine 49.99???). They have a sealed drag unit - so the salt water doesn't get in. Here's the blurb:

Our Airtec large arbor has been machined using the very lightest bar stock aluminium and compliments our modern lightweight rods. A fully sealed, salt water resistant drag system is housed within this aesthetically pleasing reel.

So far no probs!

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sunday's

Cheers guys, I'll take a look at those as well.

Does anyone know if it's legal to fish for ST in the salt in Scotland, on a Sunday? Or am I better to ask if it's illegal?! ?

· Registered
1,124 Posts
I have a couple of Pfleuger Trions that serve me well as "spare" saltwater reels for bass etc (main reels are Nautilus, used for big stuff - see avatar !!).

In the larger Trion sizes you can get 200+ yds of 50lb braid plus an Airflo 40+ etc on easy. I always rinse them well after any use and have had no problems.

Best
Nick

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Cheers guys, I'll take a look at those as well.

Does anyone know if it's legal to fish for ST in the salt in Scotland, on a Sunday? Or am I better to ask if it's illegal?! ?
From what I believe, but someone may be able to correct me it is as follows : Fishing in the sea for seatrout or Salmon in Scotland, it is the requirement to have written permission to do so [Section 6 of Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries (Consolidation) (Scotland) Act 2003]. This Act requires the angler to be in possession of such permission when fishing for or taking salmon (the statutory definition of which includes seatrout).

In the case of the foreshore and 1.5km seaward from Mean Low Water Springs (a tidal boundary which is marked on OS maps) ownership invariably rests with the Crown Estate unless devolved to a private individual or body. And outside that seaward limit, separate high sea fisheries legislation applies.

Various Scottish rivers also have designated estuaries each with specific boundaries, within which the regulations applying to that particular river.

It is a case of searching out who owns the foreshore and going from there,

As to Sunday Fishing - I am not sure, this is whats on FishPal For salmon or sea trout fishing in Scotland, Sunday is a closed time and it is illegal to fish then. For other fishing, it is not illegal and most commercial stillwater fisheries operate on Sundays, although many river fisheries do not.

· Banned
2,189 Posts
Reels

I have several reels that i use for saltwater fishing,fixed spool reels that is,they are ABU Cardinals 40/66/70 and a mitchel 810A,they are all older than my kids,i keep them well greased up and oiled,and if they see the sea ! when i get back i rinse them or soak them in water with fairy liquid added,it maybe the pottasium in the soap that helps though i may be wrong but the reels mentioned are still all in working order and not lost any of their "Mo-Jo".

The soapy watta also makes mono sink and never float on the surface ;)

perhaps look on ebay for a mitchell mooching reel or daiwa mooching or some times they called downrigger reels,though the defination of a downrigger reel is different to a fly reel.Daiwa ocean reels are the biz,i use a youngs windex similar but a lot older,i use this for tidal watta fishing -very salty brackish water and again its cleaned soon as i walk through the door.

I am on designing my own custom reel for next season, i first need a chunk of inconell,thats a type of nickel alloy which is very resistant to salt water corrosion and shrinkage in metal which is caused by temperatures=they is millions of types of nickel alloys to choose from and some are branded under other names like invar or hasteloy.It won'y take long for a decent machine man (lathe) to knock one up.Ill use a star drag as they are easy to make,no ratchet,deep spool to hold at least 300 yrds of strong backing similar to dacron and of course a fly line.

· Registered
2,760 Posts
I'll do the line first: go for an intermediate (preferably a slime line) for most UK use, not a floater. You will get down deeper, and intermediates cut through the swell and waves much better, so you stay in touch with your fly. I can't remember when I last used (or needed) a floater in the UK.

As for reels, you can get some really good older reels that are perfect for SWFF. I would look for a Scientific Anglers Series 2 reel: they are utterly bombproof, and will be fine if you ever go to the tropics. The old Orvis Battenkills (the "classics", not even the LAs) are also terrific workhorses. I normally fish a Battenkill 8/9, but the 6/7 is fine with an intermediate and gel-spun bucking.
All of my seatrout were caught on floating line never used sinking lines has there's no dept when tide goes it depends on the height of were you fish

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.