Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,288 Posts
That is some drive for you from Cambridgeshire. Let us all hope we have some decent fishing conditions for this coming season to make it worth your while.

At the moment it is a case of cast a line out of the window and wait for the river come to you. Here in Ross we have just had a 4 metre flood and it looks like another is on its way is on its way down from Plynlimon.

· Registered
460 Posts
Happy New Year to everyone, let's hope that this year we have perhaps something, anything, to shout about.

Looks like the flood that is currently tearing down the Wye is going to be a real big un!

· Registered
460 Posts
Ross Angling Club currently have a few rods available for salmon anglers at a cost considerably lower than many beats on the Wye. Ross beats are at the bottom end of the Wye just above Goodrich Court are as good as any other beat on the lower River especially as a spring fishery. Ross waters are often amongst the first to produce fish and anglers can fish every day of the week and are not limited to one day.

Anglers are always in with a very good chance of a 20lb fish and 2019 produced a 30.5lb salmon for one member. Our catch statistics can be found on the Wye and Usk Foundation “Salmon Catches” page Salmon Catches | The Fishing Passport and also on Wye Salmon Association website.

Water Sky Cloud Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

Full details of the fishing can be found on the Club’s website at www.rossanglingclub.co.uk under Salmon fishing.

Salmon angler numbers are limited by the Committee to 35 but this year with a change in Club rules any spare rods left at the end of the Salmon Membership renewal window which is 10th February are going to be given over to coarse angling applicants. This shows the clout that coarse anglers have these days and I think it is very said state of affairs.

PM me for more details or phone or text my mobile 07468 560845, if you leave me a phone number I will always respond.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Interesting letter from Welsh Water received by some homes in Ross recently advising of details of road closures in the town. This they advise is ‘to replace a number of existing manholes with sealed manholes to help prevent surface water from entering the sewer system during heavy rain.’

A little action at last to reduce reliance on the Combined Sewer Outlets, although why wasn’t this done 30 years ago? Also how far this is mirrored throughout their whole area, how quickly will it be done and what effect it will have we just have to wait to see. Particularly when we consider the exteme phosphate readings recorded at Ross last Autumn after the first significant rainfall for some months.

· Registered
259 Posts
The latest problem and major issue we have is the building of Hinkley Point power station om the Somerset coastline. It is my understanding that a majority of the salmon travelling to the Severn Wye and Usk make their way through these waters. The original planning application include sonar devices placed underwater to deter fish from the area, EDF , the builders of the nuclear power station are now seeking change the original planning application to remove the fish sonar as they no longer consider them necessary and are in discussions with the EA on getting permission to do this.

Attached is the article.

I have asked WUF for their observations on this and whether or not they will make representation to the EA on behalf of the angling community, not that hopeful of any action from them judging by past history but somebody has to represent the river users !!

I have posted this on the Usk forum as well though I would imagine most anglers read both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts