Salmon Fishing Forum banner

River Tees, Lower Eggleston

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Whenty1 
#1 ·
Had the pleasure of fishing this water a few times back in 2016, got to know it a bit and came close to getting my first fly caught Salmon. Beautiful scenery, good water levels from Cow green resevoir and seemingly a decent run of fish. (Sept/Oct) Reasonable price too, through the Bishop Aukland and district club.
I was unable to return last year and was keen to capitalise on my knowledge and have a good go this year. Unfortunately the club have given up the water.
I've been offered the opportunity to get on some water around Piecebridge and Barnard Castle but would rather not start from square one again.
Anyone know who's taken over Lower Eggleston, if anyone?
Thanks

#3 ·
Is that rthe feller who has farsons cams on his building? in barney? errrrm strange ste up if ya ask me who actually are farsons and whats their interest in salmon fishing and who else has a interest in farsons,seems as though the bishop thing was planned if ya ask me

#11 ·
Indeed, the numbers recorded by the EA bear no relation to my experience talking to other anglers a couple of years ago.
I was told by a club official in mid September that there had been a 100 fish taken since the start of August.
Spoke to an angler fishing, I netted one for him, who told me he'd had either 9 fish in 13 visits or 13 fish in 9 visits. Either way, pretty good.
An angler fishing upstream stopped for a chat one evening as I was packing up, he'd had 2 that day.
Doesn't sound like a river with a 300 fish run to me.

#16 · (Edited)
Rent crazy

Is it me or are these rent crazy, especially for the Tees with its probs. ?

Seems the same for the North Tyne to me, especially above the Rede.

Cheers Dave
When some riparian owners get to know the "True" salmon and seatrout catches of their beat(s)they will charge the going rate / rent to whoever wants it,

The Tyne beat rents/days fishing have rocketed the past 15yrs, much so in the last 8yrs as Fishpal have taken over bookings of many South/North & Tyne beats. This opens up anglers to fish beats they could never get on at a price , but bad news for angling clubs and syndicates.I am surprised the Wear riparian owners haven't jumped on the bandwagon too ? with the Wear 2nd best salmon river in England !

Mind you quote off a previous post on here off a Tees angler, with decent catches, maybe some Tees riparian owners will jump on the bandwagon soon ? But if CCR is enforced it will quell rising rents ?
"Spoke to an angler fishing, I netted one for him, who told me he'd had either 9 fish in 13 visits or 13 fish in 9 visits. Either way, pretty good.
An angler fishing upstream stopped for a chat one evening as I was packing up, he'd had 2 that day."

The Tees and Wear will never match the Tyne :first:as a salmon river, because the Kielder hatchery stocks the Tyne tributaries with salmon parr, and thats all the EA are interested in, No English river in England gets annual stocking of salmon parr/smolts, you cannot flog a :deadhorse:

#17 ·
When some riparian owners get to know the "True" salmon and seatrout catches of their beat(s)they will charge the going rate / rent to whoever wants it,

The Tyne beat rents/days fishing have rocketed the past 15yrs, much so in the last 8yrs as Fishpal have taken over bookings of many South/North & Tyne beats. This opens up anglers to fish beats they could never get on at a price , but bad news for angling clubs and syndicates.I am surprised the Wear riparian owners haven't jumped on the bandwagon too ? with the Wear 2nd best salmon river in England !

Mind you quote off a previous post on here off a Tees angler, with decent catches, maybe some Tees riparian owners will jump on the bandwagon soon ? But if CCR is enforced it will quell rising rents ?
"Spoke to an angler fishing, I netted one for him, who told me he'd had either 9 fish in 13 visits or 13 fish in 9 visits. Either way, pretty good.
An angler fishing upstream stopped for a chat one evening as I was packing up, he'd had 2 that day."

The Tees and Wear will never match the Tyne :first:as a salmon river, because the Kielder hatchery stocks the Tyne tributaries with salmon parr, and thats all the EA are interested in, No English river in England gets annual stocking of salmon parr/smolts, you cannot flog a :deadhorse:
Dont forget the Ure they have a hatchery on there aswell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.