Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased one of these second hand and it did not come with instructions. It comes with the thin running line and thick belly and then there appears another attached to it loop to loop. I presume this is the compensator which is required when traditional spey casting? Can one spey cast by removing it and adding one of the 4 tips that comes along with it or is the weight and balance completely messed up? Does anyone know what the head length is?
It is a #10 weight and looking on the Rio web-site there appears to be no information. I suspect it has been superseded with some new product
Thanks

· Registered
1,803 Posts
Spend 10 minutes testing the various options - I suspect the "cheater" is in reality the floating tip. However I have used this floating tip as a cheater with an intermediate tip and on that occasion with that rod it worked quite nicely!:)

· Registered
1,312 Posts
Hi GN,

It sounds like a windcutter to me - the total length of the head including the tips should be 54.5' - the versi tips have a bar coding system on them and are floating, clear intermediate, type 3, type 6 and type 8 density as per info on the Rio website - you change the tip to suit conditions/desired fly depth - if you have an older version there will be two additional fatter sections in floating and grey intermediate density which you use between the belly and the finer versi tips.

regards

Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.