Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Cut out the damaged section. Strip the 3cm coating off both ends with Acetone. Stitch together with strong thread. Cover with waterproof superglue. Coat with Aquasure to give a smooth join.
Or if you are confident do a welded join.

Reactions: AlanT

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
That's annoying! Specially if its an expensive line thats in otherwise good condition. Depends on how long the damaged section is.

If it was more that a few cms and I thought the core was damaged I think I would be inclined to remove the damaged section and strip off 2-3 cms of coating and attempt to whip the two tails together with tying thread. If you held them in the correct position with a little superglue then keep the join under tension (flytying vice would be handy) and whip carefully with good tension on your bobbin. Two or 3 coats of thinned Aquasure/Stormsure.

If you thought the core was sound and the damage wasnt too extensive you could do the same repair but without cutting the core.

I think it would definitely be strong enough, whether you could tolerate the joint is another question.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes very annoying. Fly got caught in a tree, I had to pull it quite hard, when I pulled, the outer slipped from the inner causing about three feet af random pigtails. The core is fine, the pigtails are caused by the stretched outer
Luckily it's about 6ft back from the loading point

I think I'm going to try exposing a tag of core on each end then try to thread one through the other (like a braided loop) then bind and aquasure as suggested by you guys

I'm wondering if the line is on its way out as I've never had one do this before

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree, Ill have a good look when it comes off, I might throw the running line away. It did take a bit of force tho, it was truly stuck and neither the fly, nylon or tree wanted to give way lol

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Luckily it's about 6ft back from the loading point
If it's 6' back from the loading point it's not going to be much more than 20' from the tip at most. Most running lines are 90', and very few casters will ever actually shoot as much as 60' into a cast - most of the time you'll be shooting 45' or less.

As such, I would just sacrifice the front section. I've tried to mend lines with nicks in the coating using Aquasure or similar, and I find it a constant annoyance. Just cut it back and put a new loop on the front end. There are various ways of doing this; if it's got a braided core you could try welding it. I prefer to fold the line back on itself and make a couple of whippings using fluorocarbon (one of the few uses for the stuff ;)) covered in Aquasure and then with a section of shrink tubing on top to smooth it all out.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes sense, I'll have a go in the next few days and work out the best way. I'll check put the robustness of the rest of the coating first else wasting my time. 👍

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
The last thing you want is a substandard running line. If the head itself is in good fettle, I wouldn't muck about or more to the point even risk it. I'd chop the running line off and completely re-place it with a brand new running line. I'd then treat it as a shooting head with a loop to loop join.
No matter what you do, you'll end up with a join which is going to irritate you greatly at one point or another, and no repair will ever be as it was before.
If you're going to have to put up with a join, have it where it will be least noticeable, just outside the tip ring. Having any form of join in the rods guides will cost you distance, rankle the very bejesus from you and be subject to greater wear n tear. The last thing you want is a repair parting on you while playing a fish.
Being truthful, if I thought I could justify writing the line off completely, I would. I like everything perfect and 100 % reliable. I hate doubt or uncertainty in my fishing.
Pedro.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I probably will write it off but being an engineer I'm going to try and fix it first and see how good I can get it, can't help myself lol . Its part of a multi tip system so will try to fix it first

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
as Rennie has said any repair/slight kink/infact anything out of order in your running line becomes a magnet for trouble.
chop off the head ,put a roman moser loop on it and buy a new running line ,i use amnesia 30lb on all my lines ,works great and any kinks just cut it off and tie a new loop ,cheap also fiver for 100m

·
Administrator
2,683 Posts
I probably will write it off but being an engineer I'm going to try and fix it first and see how good I can get it, can't help myself lol . Its part of a multi tip system so will try to fix it first
Almost anything can be repaired Alan, even if you have to invent a new method it can be fixed :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts