Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
I think I might have been the person to suggest having a 'like' button.

Springer was still running things at the time and I suggested having a like button as opposed to posting a fly and having two replies saying 'nice fly'.

At the time, Dave Carne was posting his exhibition grade fully dressed patterns. Mere mortals like me could never get involved in threads like that as it was skill beyond anything I could post, so a 'like' button to show some appreciation for posting, rather than 200 views and zero replies, I felt would be helpful.

The discussion on the forum had already declined after many contributors stopped posting, for reasons known only to them so I didn't feel that the like function would stop people from posting if they felt they could contribute to a thread.

At that time, it was only like and dislike. The additional icons appeared much later.

I still feel that the buttons are useful. Someone getting into tying and posting something and not getting any acknowledgement whatsoever might be off putting for them. Whereas a few likes might encourage them to keep posting.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I might have been the person to suggest having a 'like' button.

Springer was still running things at the time and I suggested having a like button as opposed to posting a fly and having two replies saying 'nice fly'.

At the time, Dave Carne was posting his exhibition grade fully dressed patterns. Mere mortals like me could never get involved in threads like that as it was skill beyond anything I could post, so a 'like' button to show some appreciation for posting, rather than 200 views and zero replies, I felt would be helpful.

The discussion on the forum had already declined after many contributors stopped posting, for reasons known only to them so I didn't feel that the like function would stop people from posting if they felt they could contribute to a thread.

At that time, it was only like and dislike. The additional icons appeared much later.

I still feel that the buttons are useful. Someone getting into tying and posting something and not getting any acknowledgement whatsoever might be off putting for them. Whereas a few likes might encourage them to keep posting.
There's often dozens of likes under posts but very little interaction I personally feel there is less meaningful posts and certainly the posts dont expand in the dame way, I can understand why you suggested it but a few words of wrote wisdom or guidance I think would do a newbies confidence alot more good then a like imho, I just feel those likes could be discussions that would make the forum a richer place.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
It's a difficult one JP.
I remember the discussion on the pros and cons at the time and I agree with Richard that the constructive comments had already dried up.
It's still the same. There are only the regular faces who comment and the ones that don't will not be swayed.
At least they can can hit the like button to show some appreciation.
Those who comment still do and those that don't will not ever.
We used to have a much more prominent Thanks button to reply to somebody who had commented on your post. I would like to see that back as you see a post with 30 replies and half are Thanks Eris, Thanks Ernie etc.

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
It's a difficult one JP.
I remember the discussion on the pros and cons at the time and I agree with Richard that the constructive comments had already dried up.
It's still the same. There are only the regular faces who comment and the ones that don't will not be swayed.
At least they can can hit the like button to show some appreciation.
Those who comment still do and those that don't will not ever.
We used to have a much more prominent Thanks button to reply to somebody who had commented on your post. I would like to see that back as you see a post with 30 replies and half are Thanks Eris, Thanks Ernie etc.
That was very much how I saw things Gary.

A thread with multiple posts from the OP thanking someone for posting "nice fly" doesn't exactly bring meaningful content to the forum either.

I would dearly love more content, contribution and interaction on threads but doing away with the like button could mean less people starting threads for people to contribute too.

It really is a difficult one and I can clearly see both sides of the debate and I'm certainly not having at good at you for trying to get more input into threads.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
It really is a difficult one and I can clearly see both sides of the debate and I'm certainly not having at good at you for trying to get more input into threads.
You will never get some people to participate. The world is full of voyeurs I'm afraid.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Pretty standard across all forums. Removal would kill the forum.Id actually like to see it expanded upon. So instead of a post having 2 comments and 20 likes. You have a post with 2 comments. Sadly it's the way it is and you cant push people to leave comments due to the lack of emoticons what you end up with is a pre-2000 bulletin board.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's used to be alot more interaction on posts on the fly tying section, its fair enough to like something but I also feel it often cuts short the growth of post , I'm very guilty of this myself hence the reason I ask the question, often I see a beautiful piece of tying and hit the like button when in reality the orginal post deserves much more in the way of a proper comment.

Whether it's a sign of the times with bad fishing etc I do feel that there is less in depth debate since the like button was added,

·
Registered
292 Posts
Personally I prefer to have the Like button than to not have it. It not only let's you know that people like what you posted or said but it also contributes to raising your reaction score when you receive a like. This let's you and others know that what you are posting is good stuff that people like. High reaction scores make people post more I believe. In TOTM I might not get any votes for the fly I tied but, if I got a bunch of likes and maybe a couple of loves I feel good about it which encourages me to keep going. I can definitely understand the desire to go deeper and I admit getting a actual comment from one of the top guys in TOTM is even better than a like or a love.

·
Registered
11,964 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Pretty standard across all forums. Removal would kill the forum.Id actually like to see it expanded upon. So instead of a post having 2 comments and 20 likes. You have a post with 2 comments. Sadly it's the way it is and you cant push people to leave comments due to the lack of emoticons what you end up with is a pre-2000 bulletin board.
Correct. If the OP does not like the "like" button he can ignore it. Do away with the function and even less people will look in.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Why would less people look in? Because they are not having a like ? How did forums ever survive before?
Facebook did not exist.
I now spend time on messenger chats with quite a few salmon anglers, just about all of them former members on here. Data security, etc.
If you could be bothered to look, you would see that it is quite a while since I last posted much on my own salmon fishing exploits. I will offer up advice on my area or on a subject I think I could add to. But, sadly, like all my mates I cannot be arsed debating with some people so just stopped doing so (rather than walk away like they did).

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Facebook did not exist.
The two things should not be trying to emulate each other Facebook is mainly photgraph based forums are about the discussion imho

Forum.
a public meeting place for open discussion
Surely emphasis should be on the discussion , how many times have we all pressed the like button on a post for eg a sbs in the fly tying section that clearly took the poster considerable effort or a series of beautiful photgraphs surely if they was more discussion and less likes on such threads the forum would be a more interesting place.

·
Administrator
2,683 Posts
I don't have a real preference regarding the Like thing. It does allow me to, for instance, let you know I viewed a fly you posted without my having to type out a response. In many cases I'd just enter the word 'Nice' or I'd say, I like that ...........

Incidentally I just posted a feather wing you guys can 'Like' :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts