Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fly tying off and on for a while and in that time I've gotten pretty good at it, I'm ready to take it more seriously and actually make some flies to use this upcoming summer, but I'll be needing to order some materials.
I am the type of person to be a bit cheap, craft feathers on the throat and whatnot, but not everything can be replaced with a dollar store alternative.
As a newfie, we tend to predominantly use hair wings and a few simple feather wings. Think of blue charm, thunder and lightning, green highlander sometimes with or without a collar, undertaker, black bear green butt, silver doctor, etc. all in hair wing variants typically in hook sizes 6 and smaller.

SO, I want your recommendations as to what materials I should look for when I place my order knowing Im going to use hook size 8.
Thread size and colors?
Tinsel colors and size?
what hairs are best for wings?
what feathers are best for collars?
Should I bother with tails? if yes should I use something special or stick with my craft feathers?
And anything else you'd suggest.

· Registered
3,390 Posts
I've been fly tying off and on for a while and in that time I've gotten pretty good at it, I'm ready to take it more seriously and actually make some flies to use this upcoming summer, but I'll be needing to order some materials.
I am the type of person to be a bit cheap, craft feathers on the throat and whatnot, but not everything can be replaced with a dollar store alternative.
As a newfie, we tend to predominantly use hair wings and a few simple feather wings. Think of blue charm, thunder and lightning, green highlander sometimes with or without a collar, undertaker, black bear green butt, silver doctor, etc. all in hair wing variants typically in hook sizes 6 and smaller.

SO, I want your recommendations as to what materials I should look for when I place my order knowing Im going to use hook size 8.
Thread size and colors?
Tinsel colors and size?
what hairs are best for wings?
what feathers are best for collars?
Should I bother with tails? if yes should I use something special or stick with my craft feathers?
And anything else you'd suggest.
Gosh - that's such an open question dependent on styles. If we take out of the equation feather wings and stick to more modern hairwings - like a cascade, willie gunn, Ally's etc. Then the quick answer would be:

Thread size and colors? 8 or 12/0 - White/Black/Red/Orange (especially if you aren't going to use floss for the head - my suggestion- get a green floss/red/orange/black floss for butt/head/body options - think two tone body with tinsel)
Tinsel colors and size? Small and medium - silver/gold or holo versions (you'll also need either silver and gold oval small/medium or I like wire for a rib)
what hairs are best for wings? Wings - Artic fox - get black if only one (get orange and yellow if more) - and also consider squirrel or bucktail (again black/orange /yellow)
what feathers are best for collars? Hen or Cock - if you can black/yellow/orange if a basic selection and if you can get a cape not feathers in packets
Should I bother with tails? if yes should I use something special or stick with my craft feathers? You can use craft feathers for short tails - but also consider - bucktail or artic fox for tails - or get a golden pheasant head for tails for smaller flies (silver stoat/black stoat etc.) - if you are thinking Irish flies - also think GP body or Pheasant rump
And anything else you'd suggest. - maybe some piggie bristles - also some flash for the wing - i like midge flash or kytsal flash - a pearl/peacock if only one if not then gold/silver/orange/yellow/red

Some people aren't bothered and it's not essential - but I like JC - but given it's expensive might be worth perfecting your tying before practicing with JC..

And are you thinking tubes? If so, small selection of outers and inners and gold/silver coneheads

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gosh - that's such an open question dependent on styles. If we take out of the equation feather wings and stick to more modern hairwings - like a cascade, willie gunn, Ally's etc. Then the quick answer would be:

Thread size and colors? 8 or 12/0 - White/Black/Red/Orange (especially if you aren't going to use floss for the head - my suggestion- get a green floss/red/orange/black floss for butt/head/body options - think two tone body with tinsel)
Tinsel colors and size? Small and medium - silver/gold or holo versions (you'll also need either silver and gold oval small/medium or I like wire for a rib)
what hairs are best for wings? Wings - Artic fox - get black if only one (get orange and yellow if more) - and also consider squirrel or bucktail (again black/orange /yellow)
what feathers are best for collars? Hen or Cock - if you can black/yellow/orange if a basic selection and if you can get a cape not feathers in packets
Should I bother with tails? if yes should I use something special or stick with my craft feathers? You can use craft feathers for short tails - but also consider - bucktail or artic fox for tails - or get a golden pheasant head for tails for smaller flies (silver stoat/black stoat etc.) - if you are thinking Irish flies - also think GP body or Pheasant rump
And anything else you'd suggest. - maybe some piggie bristles - also some flash for the wing - i like midge flash or kytsal flash - a pearl/peacock if only one if not then gold/silver/orange/yellow/red

Some people aren't bothered and it's not essential - but I like JC - but given it's expensive might be worth perfecting your tying before practicing with JC..

And are you thinking tubes? If so, small selection of outers and inners and gold/silver coneheads

Your 100% right, this is a very open to interpretation question, looking up the flies you've listed, they are so brightly colored in comparison to what people typically use here in Newfoundland, not that that's a bad thing, having a few different flies might catch you fish when no one else can seem to get any.

But all the same, this list should be great help towards making an informed decision about what to buy.
Thank you.

· Registered
2,778 Posts

That pretty much sums it up (y) The only thing I'd add is pearl lurex tinsel. Over light thread to keep its 'on the spool' look or if tied over black thread you get a lovely greeny sheen which I find is even more effective than a plain silver body.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That pretty much sums it up (y) The only thing I'd add is pearl lurex tinsel. Over light thread to keep its 'on the spool' look or if tied over black thread you get a lovely greeny sheen which I find is even more effective than a plain silver body.
That sounds wonderful, if I keep getting good advice I'm gonna break the bank on fly tying materials lol

· Registered
2,778 Posts
That sounds wonderful, if I keep getting good advice I'm gonna break the bank on fly tying materials lol
You'll do that more than once for sure :ROFLMAO:

To try and avoid that though (even though you will fail!), as with any fly tying, your best bet is to only buy the materials you need to tie the flies you want or you could find yourself with a load of materials costing a lot of money that you very rarely use!

· Registered
167 Posts
CL2000, where are you in Newfoundland? If you are anywhere close to St. John’s there will likely soon be fly tying evenings offered by OP Hunting and Fishing (last winter they were at a bar in Mount Pearl) and by Atlantic Rivers at their shop. There may well be similar evenings in places like Corner Brook, Grand Falls and Gander. These events are a great opportunity to talk to people and get some ideas and some help in moving your skills and materials collection along.

“you could find yourself with a load of materials costing a lot of money that you very rarely use!”
yep, ask me how I know! The pandemic shutdowns contributed a lot to my own hoarding, er….materials supply!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CL2000, where are you in Newfoundland? If you are anywhere close to St. John’s there will likely soon be fly tying evenings offered by OP Hunting and Fishing (last winter they were at a bar in Mount Pearl) and by Atlantic Rivers at their shop. There may well be similar evenings in places like Corner Brook, Grand Falls and Gander. These events are a great opportunity to talk to people and get some ideas and some help in moving your skills and materials collection along.

“you could find yourself with a load of materials costing a lot of money that you very rarely use!”
yep, ask me how I know! The pandemic shutdowns contributed a lot to my own hoarding, er….materials supply!
Unfortunately I'm rather far from st. John's, I'm out on the baie verte peninsula.

If I happen to hear of anything going on in Grand falls I might be able to get a chance to go.
I didn't really even know it was a thing, so I'll keep an eye out for info about it.

· Registered
167 Posts
Unfortunately I'm rather far from st. John's, I'm out on the baie verte peninsula.

If I happen to hear of anything going on in Grand falls I might be able to get a chance to go.
I didn't really even know it was a thing, so I'll keep an eye out for info about it.
Hi again,

it’s a “thing” here in “town” for sure, sorta social, a chance to get out, shoot the breeze, have a beer and maybe tie a fly or two. SAEN used to hold fly tying classes every fall and winter pre-Covid but hasn’t restarted them, mainly I think because the guys doing the instruction are all “of an age” and still somewhat vulnerable. I did reach out to a friend in GF but he’s not aware of anything currently happening there but it might be worth your while to ask around Baie Verte, Springdale etc. as I’m sure there are lots of people tying through the winter who might be able to help. You’d also be working with very local knowledge of the rivers in your area and what works well.
Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts