Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some help if possible with the best way to apply braided loops to shooting heads. I have purchased a new line and would like to know the best way to get the neatest finish when applying a braided loop to either end. I always seem to end with the line not all the way to the end of the loop. Should i be striping some of the outer coating off??

Thanks in advance!

Mike

· Registered
4,546 Posts
I find that it helps to do this at the rear end of the head. I like to taper the last 1/2 inch or so of the head. It makes it easier to feed the head into the braid as far as possible. Also when it is in there, it is a smoother junction from braid to head.

Just use a stanley knife to remove some of the outer coating of the head to get the more conical taper. I have also seen it shaped by heating in shrink tubing and rolling.

At the front end I just add the loop as normal as the head is much finer in taper here.

· Registered
2,048 Posts
I made the post on that link about pliobond, and feel as confident in suggesting it now as then. Regardless of who you get it from I would suggest that you get the tube rather than jar and brush. All you need is pliobond, it has never failed me, and it is as flexible as the line itself.
I would make sure, though, that I applied a layer of the pliobond over at least an inch and a half of the braid to fly line area. You don't want to rely on just that little quarter inch at the end. American fly fishers have used pliobond to smooth over their nail knots for a very long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.