Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
A bit further south - the Gulf station at Old Sodbury. It’s consistently cheap so although not worth making a special trip from Stroud, if you find yourself heading south on the A46 towards the M4 it’s only a mile out of your way.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A bit further south - the Gulf station at Old Sodbury. It’s consistently cheap so although not worth making a special trip from Stroud, if you find yourself heading south on the A46 towards the M4 it’s only a mile out of your way.
Pound now over $1.20 and oil down to $84 per barrel yet price at the pumps over £1.87 in my part of the world. The whole thing smacks if profiteering.
Not so long ago the difference in price between petrol and diesel was 5p per litre it's now 25p per litre so your right it's a total rip off:mad::mad:.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Supply and demand as usual. Prices at the pump lag oil prices, the latest mini-rise was most likely caused by the OPEC production cut a couple of months ago.

What is strange is the diesel / petrol split, which is much higher than usual. I wonder if a lot of diesel came from Russia & supply is more limited than petrol.

you do want a laugh though , stop at the Gloucester Farm Shop services for some £2.00 + a litre diesel. I think it must be organic

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
What is strange is the diesel / petrol split, which is much higher than usual. I wonder if a lot of diesel came from Russia & supply is more limited than petrol.
When I was in the business we were moving refineries away from diesel as Brent crude was too light and made more petrol, and also refineries were being updated to extract more high end product per barrel. Saudi and Russian crude is much heavier (dirtier) so makes more diesel etc.
It might also be changes in Fuel Duty.

·
Registered
285 Posts
40% of UK Diesel “was” coming from Russia. (0% of petrol). The crude for diesel is now having to be sourced elsewhere This is why your currently seeing the price difference of 25-30ppl.
Its actually becoming difficult to get hold of core product to even refine the Diesel, so don’t complain too much as we might yet be short of it!!
Yes oil is down to pre war levels. However due to a lack of UK refinery capacity, its now $40 to refine a barrel of oil, compared to $10 previously. Hence the pump price.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"However due to a lack of UK refinery capacity, its now $40 to refine a barrel of oil, compared to $10 previously. Hence the pump price"
Why has capacity been reduced ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Lack of in investment by the oil industry in the UK, allegedly due to the government making it difficult for them to do so.
Yes the government want to push to renewables... but sadly they don't seem to realise this will take decades! Just creates a s__t storm in the mean time, for which the government blame everyone else!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here in Nova Scotia.
Diesel is at $2.60 per Litre. Regular Gas 1.70 per Litre. Furnace Oil $2.20 - $2.30 per Litre

The Federal Gov just announced a Carbon Tax that will be added to the per litre price .14¢ to .17¢ However it will not take effect until next summer. Something for us to look forward to, NOT!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here in California we are averaging $1.70 per liter and we have 6 refineries in the state. Three refineries are within 20 miles of my location. Ironically I pay less for diesel at locations in state but 400 miles away.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Try buying engine oil in bulk it goes up with crude prices but ive never seen it go down.
Looking at around 600 quid for 199 ltrs at the moment and thats trade to me for bog standard fully syntetic. Also no idea why it tracks crude prices being synthetic but im guessing they use a crude base to synthesise.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Supply and demand as usual. Prices at the pump lag oil prices, the latest mini-rise was most likely caused by the OPEC production cut a couple of months ago.

you do want a laugh though , stop at the Gloucester Farm Shop services for some £2.00 + a litre diesel. I think it must be organic

They want you to buy a load of stuff in the farm shop. Then they give you a voucher which reduces the price.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I've never filled up anywhere but Costco in Edinburgh the last 3 year now... They seem to be the lowest in the area. Asda just up the road used to be a couple pence more, but not now. Supermarkets I drive past are generally selling for more than the Shell and Esso just off the bypass!

·
Registered
285 Posts
UK supermarkets tended to use fuel as a 'loss leader'.. selling at cost or even a loss simply to get you into their store, where you'd then spend £150+ on groceries, which have a much higher profit margin than fuel! Not anymore.. this marketing strategy has now gone... They are now having to fight the likes of Aldi and Liddle directly on grocery prices who are taking a large market share off them! Sadly that's why a lot of independent (privately and family owned) honest forecourts have gone from your towns and villages. So now it's the small independent who's often cheaper... So who's been the ones ripping us all off, whilst portraying the message on tv for years that they're trying to help us all save!!! I rest my case!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts