Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brace yourselves, summer is coming. Soon the rivers of Scandinavia and not only will be flooded with water flogging creatures chasing 50 shades of silver….
As I prepare for one of my trips, I decided to start a small discussion regarding how I prepare for the trip and what I usually take with me.
Please chime in with stuff I need to take, stuff I can/should leave home and so on.

Hope this helps, chime in with your advise/experiences/funny things that you forgot :) or you should have left home, and tight lines.

PART I - planning and gear

- Step 1 ist o start a small journal. You will be happy to go back and see things you have done over the years and go back to basics. While planning or going through your journal will help you get more organised and it will bring hopefully nice memories.
- Step 2 is start a ToDo list. Sounds stupid but will help you stay in shape and make the time until the trip starts flow easier. The list should be a schedule for the preparations, like: gather all infos until…set Date, tie your flies until…set Date and so on. If you set yourself targets it will be easier to manage. Dont start with all at once, chaos is not your best friend and you will lose yourself in details.
- Step 3 make a Check List to use before you start packing.

PAPERS AND INFOS
Plan ahead as far as possible. Tell somebody where you go! (it is not a joke, sometimes we fish very remote areas where hiking on foot 1-2 days to get there is not an exception. Be sure to inform somebody where you go and also tell them when should expect your return. Plan an emergency scenario and figure out the things to do if stuff goes banana. Every year fly fishermen sadly die in rivers in Norway or other parts of the world).
Get your hands on all the infos you need in time.
Organize and buy your licenses as soon as possible, especially if limited licenses available. If you fish Norway or Sweden, do not forget the national permit that you can make online and save it on your phone.
Have a small waterproof bag for your personal/fishing documents, including a copy of your personal ID, drivers license, etc. PRINT these documents too and have it all in one place. Save all these documents scanned as PDF on your Email so that you can also access them online of necessary. If you lose your phone or the bag with documents, you still have redundancy.
Infos I gather before the trip:
- River/pools maps
- Info from locals and forums
- Fly selection
- Gear selection
- Acomodation, Food (I allway fish places where at least half of the trip involves hiking/camping/sleeping outdoors, cooking expedition style, I will make a different list with thigs I get with me specificay for this purpose)

GEAR
Adapt your gear to the configuration of the river you are about to fish. Allways be prepared for a surprise, ie. high flow/summer conditions.

Reels:

1. re-check backing, if used or old => replace

2. strip the reels bare, recheck all knots, redo if necessary

3. check and/or disassemble the reels for maintenance, oil/grease if necessary, recheck the brake. Test the brake and be confident in the gear you use. Do not use gear in your trip for the very first time, especially if changing totally different reels (swap between LoopControl and a Bogdan type reel, or antireverse vs. palming and so on). It is not wise to get spooled from the salmon of a lifetime just because you don`t know how to use your gear.

4. put a small kit together for the trip in case you need to do maintenance on site: oil/grease/screwdriver - maybe you can use here a multitool that fit the screws on your reels properly?

5. Re-spool the reels, double-check the knots from the backing to reel and the backing loop to running line (I use a bimini on a doubled backing loop), recheck all the loops of the running line and shooting head, repair cracks if necessary (I use a shrink tube and a candle to reheat the coating and repair cracks, but if you are not confident, better weld a new loop or put a braided loop on). While respooling, I do it oldschool, first put on the reel in this order: tippet/polyleader/SH/backing. Fill up the reel properly with backing leaving at least a 3-4mm space before the spool is full. Use a floating SH while doing this (it is the thickest head in diameter), if you use a sinking one it has a much smaller diameter and could cause surprises if overgenerous with the backing). Use a line counter to measure the backing that fits your reel, this way you will know how much backing you have on each. Write these things down so you can go back and retrieve these infos if needed.

6. all the running lines and heads should be cleaned and surface treated before re-spooling.

7. Check and re-check the polyleaders for cracks, abrasion marks, surface damage or loop problems. Retest knot on the thinner end (if not prelooped on both ends. I usually use here a perfection loop). If in doubt, throw away and buy new ones. Double up the most important polyleaders you decide to use.

Rods:

1. Clean your rods properly (normaly after every fishing trip…). Check each section for damages (cracks, damages in paint that could hide a hit with a cone or similar)

2. Assemble everything together and check for fitting on the ferrules

3. Decide if you want to tape or not (I personally never tape). In case you do not tape, wax your ferrules properly with candle wax or use a special mixture dedicated for that (graphit ferrule thing whatever)

4. Check reel seats and clean if necessary

5. Check handle if necessary (missing parts of cork, maybe repair holes in the cork that could cause you blisters when casting, use here cork filler)

Shooting heads:

See above, specially learn to know your gear properly before the trip.
Cast regularly all the heads you have for a specific rod, fish them beforehand if possible. Earn trust in your gear so that you instinctively know what and when to use.
Experiment with tippet length for your designated heads/size of your flies. When you hit the sweet spot write it down. (i.e. Scandi 34g floating SH + 10Ft intermediate clear polyleader + 8ft 0.40 Maxima is a good combination for one of my rods for general purpose, another example: Scandi 34g I/S4/S6/ + 10ft extra fast sinking polyleader + 3ft Maxim 0.40 for "down and dirty" and so on).
Print the list and take it with you, it will help select very fast the "tools" you need without having to figure out why you blow your anchor with a specific head because it actually needed a longer Leader/tippet combination.

Part II and III see below.

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If going remote - get an EPIRB !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it is a good idea, since there are also bracelets. we go remote but not "that remote".
maybe for trips in Russia it is a very viable option, thanks for the tip :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.