Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, being new to salmon/sea trout fishing I have just bit the bullet and bought a Shakespeare oracle switch rod kit. I know it's not the most expensive kit out there but it's what I can afford so........ I need to practice casting with this. My question is will casting on grass cause any damage to the line. Will this help me to get used to the rod/line

Mick

· Registered
4,853 Posts
No real good can come from casting on grass, as you simply won't load a rod as you have no anchor.

Water is a essential part I'm afraid. Be it river,loch, or puddle! Yes I've cast a line in a big puddle :eek:

· Registered
10,075 Posts
You could tie a grass leader up but it still wouldnt compare to the anchor you will get from water. A single hander can be cast on grass but for spey casting you really could do with water of any kind really.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought that would be the case, but just thought I would ask. Rods just arrived, I'm like a big kid at Christmas I can't wait to get out there and try it?

· Registered
10,075 Posts
May be worth taping the rod joints if you are putting the rod through its paces. Some people never tape rod joints but i always do mine wether fishing for an hour or full day just incase.

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May be worth taping the rod joints if you are putting the rod through its paces. Some people never tape rod joints but i always do mine wether fishing for an hour or full day just incase.

Excellent tip Rrrr. I presume electricians tape will be ok yes?

· Registered
10,075 Posts
Yes thats all i use for mine. Some times diffrent tapes can lift tiny chips of varnish from the joints but alot better to loose a bit of varnish than a rod section especialy if you have no fly on so it falls straight off.

· Registered
3,647 Posts

· Registered
4,115 Posts
Excellent choice of kit.

The grass in addition to not giving an anchor can damage the loop connection at the end of the fly line so another good excuse to go to some water.

Where are you based? there must be something wet nearby?

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent choice of kit.

The grass in addition to not giving an anchor can damage the loop connection at the end of the fly line so another good excuse to go to some water.

Where are you based? there must be something wet nearby?
Yes I had a feeling it might and at £60 a shot would work out rather expensive.
I live in sunderland so I'm thinking of trying it out on the wear early doors so nobody can see me tying myself in knots:D

· Registered
920 Posts
Hi leckytech thats very kind of you, its an oracle 7/8.

Mick
No worries, don't think I have a 7/8 but may have an 8/9. I'm up in Aberdeen until Saturday will have a look when I get back home see what I've got. I might have an old John Norris Atlantic shooting head you could use. I'll let you know, I'm local so could probably drop it off for you.

I like you started with the Oracle had naff all and members on here helped me out so it's good to pay it forward.

I'll let you know

Paul

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No worries, don't think I have a 7/8 but may have an 8/9. I'm up in Aberdeen until Saturday will have a look when I get back home see what I've got. I might have an old John Norris Atlantic shooting head you could use. I'll let you know, I'm local so could probably drop it off for you.

I like you started with the Oracle had naff all and members on here helped me out so it's good to pay it forward.

I'll let you know

Paul
Cheers Paul very much appreciated

Mick

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My advice is to get some casting lessons first because if you go it alone you could develop some nasty bad habits which could be very difficult to correct later on. Best of luck with your new hobby.
Ha Ha Tom you have obviously seen me casting my single handed fly rod :eek: Think you are right though its just finding the right person

Mick

· Registered
4,115 Posts
Sunderland. Go down the beach, give it a wang there. BUT, make sure you really wash everything off very carefully in fresh water afterwards. Saltwater is a killer for kit.

Stick on a fly, you might even hook up a whopper.

· Registered
10,075 Posts
Roker beach would be perfect later in the evening when it gets quiet as its nice and calm on the harbour side of the pier. Just watch for sand in the reel and give it a good rinse after.

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sunderland. Go down the beach, give it a wang there. BUT, make sure you really wash everything off very carefully in fresh water afterwards. Saltwater is a killer for kit.

Stick on a fly, you might even hook up a whopper.
Roker beach would be perfect later in the evening when it gets quiet as its nice and calm on the harbour side of the pier. Just watch for sand in the reel and give it a good rinse after.

Good advice. but like everything when you have just bought something inexpensive or expensive the last thing you want its to knack up straight away I've seen what the salt does to things here ( I live about 200yards off the beach) so I know that salt/sea air is a killer:eek:

Mick

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.