Welcome to Tie of the Month
The format of the 2023 Tie of the Month competition will remain the same as it was in 2022 with no changes. As ever prizes are not guaranteed but with or without them this is a very friendly competition that is open to everyone regardless of your ability and a specific newcomer's section for which a prize is available to reflect that. So please do join in by submitting your flies and engaging in the banter because your tying will improve and so will your general feeling of happiness!
CHANGE TO RULE 5: you may re-photograph an entered fly but the fly may no longer be changed after submission.
To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at. It is worth noting that often it is not the neatest, most skillful or most complex tying that wins but the fly that the voters feel is most likely to catch a fish or is simply the most inventive or witty (see the winning entry from mc andy in the April 2020 competition
). There is also no pressure to enter every month but do note that points are awarded just for entering each month. Just enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result from producing patterns that you may not otherwise have considered tying!
Please also note that the flies you tie are used as a reference by many people and so your posts are creating a great reference section for everyone. I therefore ask and encourage everyone entering to include a list of the materials used with each photo.
Clearly photography plays a part in this competition and many (possibly most) photo's are taken very successfully using a phone camera. A few tips to help though:
TOTM - March 2023 - Brrrrr, its "BRASS MONKEYS" out there!
- As much as possible try and take the photo in natural daylight
- On many smart phones tapping the screen to select the point of focus can result in the camera focussing on the vice or another large solid object near the fly. If that happens, try taking the photo at a greater distance from the fly without selecting the point of focus and then crop it (also note rule 7 below)
- Be careful of the background for both clutter and background colour can make it harder to see, or with a good choice, highlight the fly.
In comparison to recent years, the winter of 22/23 has thrown up some proper cold weather. That theme is set to continue into next week with some finger numbingly cold days. Most of which barely go above freezing, with some days staying below …… Proper ‘Brass Monkeys’ weather ❄🥶! At this time of year, I always keep an eye on conditions near some of the more famous spring fisheries and I couldn’t help but notice that they are predicting snow on Deeside for the early parts of next week and for those of you brave enough to venture out with rod in hand in search of the elusive springer, I salute you! I imagine frozen rings, numb fingers and toes and plenty of wee drams to warm the old cockles……..! Fishing will doubtless be done with sinking lines and big, heavy flies. Serious fishing for serious fish, by serious anglers!!
This month I want you top tie a Monkey
, on a tube! There are countless derivatives of this very popular spring pattern, most notably the original 'Dee Monkey
' ( Black, Yellow and Silver ), which is the fly that came to mind first whilst watching next week’s weather on Deeside. After last months restrictive theme, you are permitted to use any colours you want! As long as it’s a Monkey and its on a tube then you are in business.
I honestly cannot wait for this months entries!!
Specific guidance –
- Your fly must be tied on a Tube
- The tube can be metal, plastic, tungsten or other
- No hooks will be accepted ( except for the ones that may stick out of the back of your tubes )
- Cones and beads are acceptable!
Good luck all 👍
- The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome to enter as many or as few months as they choose.
- The competition will run from January until November.
- To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.
- At the end of each month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month, will be open to everyone on the forum, and voters names will be visible.
- Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on any forum (including this one), social media or other software . You can however tie another version of one you have posted elsewhere.
- Once a fly has been entered it cannot be changed for another fly even if it is dressed as an identical pattern.
- Each fly is judged on the photo posted. Once a fly has been entered, you may change the photo but must adhere to rule 5.
- Only enter one photo. Entries with more than one photo will be disqualified.
- Unless a requirement of the specific months theme, the photo should contain only one fly.
- will be awarded each month as follows. In the event of a tie, all tied participants will get the full points available for the placing.
- 1st place: 10 points + 4 points for entry
- 2nd place: 7 points + 4 points for entry
- 3rd place: 5 points + 4 points for entry
- 4th place: 3 points + 4 points for entry
- 5th place: 2 points + 4 points for entry
- 6th place: 1 point + 4 points for entry
- 7th place and lower. 4 points for entry
- In December, the winning flies from each month will be entered into a poll for Fly of the Year. No additional points are awarded for this poll
- At the end of the year, points awarded will be totalled for that years final placings
- These are donated voluntarily and are not gauranteed.
- They may be donated, amended or withdrawn at any time on the instruction of the person making the donation without explanation or prior warning
- Cash prizes will not be accepted
- No one associated with this forum or the administration of TOTM accepts any responsibility for the nature, value or delivery of any prizes that are offered other than to indicate their availability.
- The administrators of TOTM reserve the right to make judgement on the acceptability of any entry or breach of the general rules. However, they have no general administration rights in relation to the forum.