Salmon Fishing Forum banner

DO NOT VOTE YET!! I can not enter all the names!!

• Andrzej

• Logan Houston

• Robb76

• Tony Mac

• JockieScott

• Grassy_Knollington

• gwelsher

• nickolas

• steelguy

• SnapT14

• iainmortimer

• idbflytye

• L.Daniel

• Seddsschorman

• SebasP

• Flow

• Grantybot

• Westie4566

• wormo

• tcorfey

• Stephenb91

• Igaffz

• flytie09!

• Bothy Cat

• jimmcl

• GaryD

• Yooper Fly

• Sedgy

• Billy Fish

• Timmins

• Woodsy

• nwsalar

• chriswjx

• tailfire

• beardog

• ryan houston

• DrPatrickT

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

· Registered
3,040 Posts
‘Sunset Spey’

I’m awful at this style of fly, and struggle with wing sets on Spey flies. But, I enjoy it nonetheless, and here is my entry!
View attachment 90556
A great effort. Spey flies are not exactly my forte either, but I must admit to enjoying tying them from time to time 👍

· Registered
581 Posts
I’ve been thinking about tying my own flies for many years, but never got around to it. There have been so many beautiful flies posted on here by some incredible artists, but it was Rotenone’s ‘flies for fishing’ that inspired me to give it a go. So for Christmas I bought a vice, tube tool and some black thread for myself. Haven’t got any other tools or materials yet so am improvising.
So, here is my first ever fly. It has been tied using recycled materials. It started out as a Kingfisher Butcher variation, but went a bit rogue.

Sky Eye Art Wing Feather

· Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
I’ve been thinking about tying my own flies for many years, but never got around to it. There have been so many beautiful flies posted on here by some incredible artists, but it was Rotenone’s ‘flies for fishing’ that inspired me to give it a go. So for Christmas I bought a vice, tube tool and some black thread for myself. Haven’t got any other tools or materials yet so am improvising.
So, here is my first ever fly. It has been tied using recycled materials. It started out as a Kingfisher Butcher variation, but went a bit rogue.

View attachment 90569
Thats a decent fly that will certainly take fish and all the more impressive as a first ever entry made from recycling materials! Welcome to TOTM and new hobby. I genuinely look forward to seeing your progress as the comp encourages your tying progress for with that start I’m sure it will be swift.

· Registered
1,698 Posts

View attachment 90569
Very good work, especially for the first ever fly (y) Welcome to the TOTM beardog.

· Registered
3,360 Posts
Some fantastic entries and quite a number of new participants which is great to see. I'll go a gold litebrite orangey/yellow flamethrower using mallard for a bit of dapple

Wood Automotive lighting Window Arthropod Pest

Hook: Gold
Tag: Gold Oval
Back body: Gold lite-brite with one rib of gold oval - then brushed out
Back hackle: Orange Cock
Wing: Orange (2/3 and Yellow (1/3) bucktail mix and 2 strands orange midge flash
Front Body: Gold lite-brite, oval gold rib - then brushed out
Front hackle 1: Orange Cock
Front wing 1: Orange artic fox brushed out (about half way into bucktail tail) and two strands orange midge flash
Front hackle 2: Mallard dyed yellow
Front wing 2: Black artic fox (about half way length of orange fox wing)
Jungle Cock
Mirror flash head

Cheers, Patrick

Attachments

· Registered
1,698 Posts
Some fantastic entries and quite a number of new participants which is great to see. I'll go a gold litebrite orangey/yellow flamethrower using mallard for a bit of dapple

View attachment 90571

Hook: Gold
Tag: Gold Oval
Back body: Gold lite-brite with one rib of gold oval - then brushed out
Back hackle: Orange Cock
Wing: Orange (2/3 and Yellow (1/3) bucktail mix and 2 strands orange midge flash
Front Body: Gold lite-brite, oval gold rib - then brushed out
Front hackle 1: Orange Cock
Front wing 1: Orange artic fox brushed out (about half way into bucktail tail) and two strands orange midge flash
Front hackle 2: Mallard dyed yellow
Front wing 2: Black artic fox (about half way length of orange fox wing)
Jungle Cock
Mirror flash head

Cheers, Patrick
I could fish with a fly like this all day long, very nice 👌

· Registered
581 Posts
Thats a decent fly that will certainly take fish and all the more impressive as a first ever entry msdd from recycling materials! Welcome to TOTM and new hobby. I genuinely look forward to seeing your progress as the comp encourages your tying progress for with that start I’m sure it will be swift.
Thank you for the positive feedback and encouragement. I didn’t fully appreciate the time it would take not only to tie the fly, but to take a picture that showed the fly in its full glory. Tying it was probably the easy bit.

· Registered
3,040 Posts
Reactions: steelguy

· Registered
264 Posts
Golden Banana Gunn

Finally the postman arrived with gold! Well dubbing an flash.

A willie gunn templedog with the yellow hackles and fur replaces with banana. I'd stick this on if the water was running clear, its a bit less in your face than bright yellows and oranges.

Head Insect Arthropod Bait Artificial fly

Materials in order

19mm unflanged shrimp tube
Copper wire rib
Rear half gold braid 1.5mm
Front half gold lite bride
Palmered hackle cock banana
First wing, banana foxbwith a few strands gold lite brite
First hackle banana cock
Second wing, orange fox, a dulled down colour I dyed myself, a few strands copper lite brote
Second hackle, burnt orange hen
Third wing, sparse black fox
Jungle cock tied in long
Third hackle black hen fluff
Gold flutter cone

Cheers

· Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Golden Banana Gunn

Finally the postman arrived with gold! Well dubbing an flash.

A willie gunn templedog with the yellow hackles and fur replaces with banana. I'd stick this on if the water was running clear, its a bit less in your face than bright yellows and oranges.

View attachment 90831

Materials in order

19mm unflanged shrimp tube
Copper wire rib
Rear half gold braid 1.5mm
Front half gold lite bride
Palmered hackle cock banana
First wing, banana foxbwith a few strands gold lite brite
First hackle banana cock
Second wing, orange fox, a dulled down colour I dyed myself, a few strands copper lite brote
Second hackle, burnt orange hen
Third wing, sparse black fox
Jungle cock tied in long
Third hackle black hen fluff
Gold flutter cone

View attachment 90832

Cheers
Nice fly and good photo’s to show it off. That style is one I never feel totally happy about whenever I dress one and so I always like seeing those tied by others!

…but can you delete one of the photo’s please to stay in the rules 😉

· Registered
264 Posts
Nice fly and good photo’s to show it off. That style is one I never feel totally happy about whenever I dress one and so I always like seeing those tied by others!

…but can you delete one of the photo’s please to stay in the rules 😉
Cheers Iain. Sorry about that 🙈

61 - 80 of 121 Posts