Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased 15 ft sage z axis as I need.to overhead cast in some of our beats and feel this is a perfect all round rod for scandi spey and hopefully overhead hope I made a good choice.
Anyone use this rod and would like some experience anglers views on this fly rod.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
If you are going to overhead I would choose a short manageable line, its a pretty fast rod so it does respond well with a short line and shorter stroke casting.
The rod is fine and fit for purpose, it's sounds like you are still learning the nuances of spey rods and in which case the rod will probably be able to cast better then you are.
That's not in any way a criticism just often the case, I would keep your lines head under 55 foot to start with and remember to lift slowly before you make your back cast so have as much of the head off the water as possible . With faster rods the temptation is often to snatch the line off, and then you are chasing the cast.
I wouldn't often reference older videos for speycasting but as the overhead cast used to be far more popular you won't go far wrong at looking up some of 80s and 90s salmon fishing films on YouTube people like Oglesby , micheal Evans etc often display impeccable over head technique due to it being a much more used cast.

As ever book a lesson with someone who can help you match a line to your rod

I personally do like overhead casting when I have the room with shorter shooting heads when trying to obtain maximum distance.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
A short spey line or an integrated head would be the way to go for overhead casting as you'll likely find the full head length you use to spey cast will overload the rod when airborne, you'll need to compensate by pulling a fair bit if head down the rings, a shooting head/ running line system will make this clunky and difficult. If intending to overhead cast for the day with my switch rod in low summer water I considerably underline.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone any views on the loop opti ntx salmon fly rod.....had a loop evotech cast some years ago was sorry I sold it but as a discussion on loop some hate them some love them .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts