Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Observation!

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Wee-Eck 
#1 ·
Now it could be me, but just an observation in that certainly this year and I am of the opinion of the past 2 years as well when Salar does enter our rivers,they aren't for stopping or loitering any more, rather than getting a move on straight for the head waters/spawning areas.
Seems to be more than the odd river with fish behaving in this way.After the drought of this summer, all the traditional low water beats should have been stuffed to bonanza proportions, but seemingly not so.Middle river beats seem constantly devoid(unless there's a point of obstruction to hold them)and I'll lay brass(at least 50p!) come the seasons end the spawning areas will be very well populated on most of our rivers.Indded it seems the case already fish are in place and pretty well on the route to spawning!
Whats every one else's thoughts/experience's here?
Pedro.

#5 ·
Pete
I covered about 4 miles of river on the higher Ribble today & never saw a salmon show or hook any, I had 1 small brownie for my efforts.
I still haven't hooked a Ribble salmon this season & it's not for the lack of trying.
I'm beginning to think about putting my gear away for the season, but I won't, I'm to keen.
In a few years from now I probably won't be fit enough to cover miles of river like I can now.

#7 ·
I have noticed on the Nith for a number of years now that the Salmon do not appear to spend time in the main river lies but instead head into the tributaries as fast ,as they can compared to years gone by.

In fact I have wondered now & again if there is now something wrong or different in the main river as this did not used to be the behaviour of the Nith Salmon but now is.

#11 ·
I think you may well have a point Rennie!

Waited until after fishing today to make my observation. There seems to be a reasonable number of fish higher up the catchment, however, on the back of the weekends spate and fishing perfect conditions today, I've never seen our beat so devoid of fish at this time of year.

Had an offer off something in the first pool I fished, could just have been a brownie. Next pool down saw the mankiest, blackest wee grilse I've ever seen head and tail. Covered it to no avail.

Fished down the rest of the beat and had a blether with a couple of the guys. Only one had seen a fish. Even one of our best holding pools which always has crocs showing in the same place, year after year was devoid of life.

Walked back up and decided to have another run through the pool where I saw the fish earlier. Was figure of eighting the fly across where I saw the fish earlier and bang, fish on. Pathetic scrap really and was just edging the fish onto terra firma when the fly popped out. It was a really, black wee grilse.

Clearly there was nothing waiting to come in even after all this dry weather.

Hey ho - on the bright side it was a truly glorious autumn day to be out. Surprisingly last weeks storm didn't rob the trees of their leaves. Looking downstream with all the autumn colours being reflected in the river in the sunshine is always a treat.

#12 ·
An interesting observation, certainly seems to have been a similar scenario on the Avon & Test early on, upto July. The hot weather stopped fishing, but fish were still running the Avon, when the temperatures relented, all of the top holding pools were empty, they must have gone through ,or turned around? The early fish on the Test did not hang around but kept going, the later fish stuck in the bottom of the river and only started moving up mid to late August, but in small numbers. The scenarios are probably quite normal, just the low numbers tend to give a rather exaggerated view!
peter

#14 ·
Same things happening on the Teith. I think one of the causes is the mega large winter spates we’ve had over the last 10 years. They’ve shifted a lot of gravel and most of the pools are a lot shallower and don’t hold fish the same in lower levels. It just seems to be turning into a spate river where the fish just batter right through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.