Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
I style of tying that I really struggle with, especially on metal tubes.

Always wee ends of bucktail sticking out past the head or a massive head to cover those ends.

So easy to overdress and underdress.

You've done those very well! 馃憤

Registered
I style of tying that I really struggle with, especially on metal tubes.

Always wee ends of bucktail sticking out past the head or a massive head to cover those ends.

So easy to overdress and underdress.

You've done those very well! 馃憤
I use either a Stanley blade or a scalpel to trim them, you do need to be wary of cutting the thread though 馃槄

Nice flies! I like their tubes for my sea trout flies, although I've been using model tubing recently.

Registered
I use either a Stanley blade or a scalpel to trim them, you do need to be wary of cutting the thread though 馃槄

Nice flies! I like their tubes for my sea trout flies, although I've been using model tubing recently.
That's part of the problem. I have no patience and then I cut something I shouldn't have and the temper goes! 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's part of the problem. I have no patience and then I cut something I shouldn't have and the temper goes! 馃ぃ
Based on all your other flies I know you could turn out an immaculate tube.

I think it was Lamson (where's he gone?) who tied the smartest hairwing tubes I've seen. I think have copied his method.

- I blend all the hair in batches first. This is tedious but necessary.

- When I have a bunch that I'm happy with, I present it from the front to back of the tube. This helps me get more even coverage.

- I wax the thread well & do 2 wraps to secure the hair whilst I work it round the tube to give even coverage,

- When the hair is evenly spread, I put some superglue on the thread and do 2-3 wraps over the hair to secure.

- When the glue has dried, I trim the ends of the hair with a Stanley knife blade.

To stop the hair flaring outwards, I sometimes push it forward by pressing my thumb down and then forward. This introduces a slight kink in the fibres close to the head.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Registered
Based on all your other flies I know you could turn out an immaculate tube.

I think it was Lamson (where's he gone?) who tied the smartest hairwing tubes I've seen. I think have copied his method.

- I blend all the hair in batches first. This is tedious but necessary.

- When I have a bunch that I'm happy with, I present it from the front to back of the tube. This helps me get more even coverage.

- I wax the thread well & do 2 wraps to secure the hair whilst I work it round the tube to give even coverage,

- When the hair is evenly spread, I put some superglue on the thread and do 2-3 wraps over the hair to secure.

- When the glue has dried, I trim the ends of the hair with a Stanley knife blade.

To stop the hair flaring outwards, I sometimes push it forward by pressing my thumb down and then forward. This introduces a slight kink in the fibres close to the head.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!
Yes, I've missed Lamson recently and have wondered where he's gone. I hope everything is OK with him.

Yes, his hairwing tubes were something else entirely. You could pick his from a box no problem.

One of the problems I have is that there is no 'life' to my tubes. There would be so little movement in the water that I would have no confidence using them. The fibres are almost stuck to the tube and the look like thst have all the movement of an artists paintbrush.

To try to compensate, I had more material but then they go from artists brushes to shaving brushes. 馃槼

I think the only types of flies I've struggled with more were ones with mallard wings, but this style of fly comes a very close second. I just cannot get them to look the way I picture them in my head and that frustrates me more than anything.

Thanks for the tips. I'll get another read at them later and maybe try these tubes again. 馃憤

1 - 11 of 11 Posts