Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads who can name the vhs salmon fishing film by the Scottish presenter who fishes Tay, Earn (catching a 20lber) Thurso forgot the name of it had it when I was a kid? Early 90s I would say; features Lord Thurso ?

· Registered
876 Posts
He had another film out, I had on VHS for years, of him catching a big backend fish on the earn. It took him round an Island. He had to wade out and free it, eventually landed it way downstream. He about broke his rod when he had to throw it on the stones to get two hands on the fish. Beauty of a silver backend Earn fish over 20lb.
I see they are advertising all the Hooked on Scotland series on Fishing Tv. Anyone watch this ??

· Registered
5,074 Posts
John Andrews
Can‘t remember the name of the film , but the Earn fish led him a merry dance.
Had to cut the wee treble out.
“ Now here’s a handy stone "
That handy stone was also used on quite a few back-end kippers, followed by 'that will smoke well enough'.

I've still got the video at the back of a cupboard somewhere.

· Registered
9,735 Posts
I fished a couple of times on the Earn with John after he made that video.
Turned out a bit of a character who liked a drink.:D
I need to dig out the video, it's been a while, but I seem to recall on the film a young Goosander landing a fish for him around the abandoned weir?
Bob still fishes that very beat.

· Registered
2,793 Posts
That handy stone was also used on quite a few back-end kippers, followed by 'that will smoke well enough'.

I've still got the video at the back of a cupboard somewhere.
That's just what I was going to post. A different time though so we can't grumble. I used to like his films, he seemed a real character, I bet he was great to fish with. I also seem to remember a film where he caught a very early fish where there was an argument over whether it was a baggot or springer, he knocked it on the head and sliced it open to show the tiny eggs and prove it was a springer. Im sure that was him, I may be wrong... a long time ago....

Reactions: salarchaser

· Registered
1,288 Posts
That's just what I was going to post. A different time though so we can't grumble. I used to like his films, he seemed a real character, I bet he was great to fish with. I also seem to remember a film where he caught a very early fish where there was an argument over whether it was a baggot or springer, he knocked it on the head and sliced it open to show the tiny eggs and prove it was a springer. Im sure that was him, I may be wrong... a long time ago....
I remember that. It wasn’t John Andrews who caught the fish but another person fishing the same beat - Spey if I remember. Anyway when this guy brought the fish to the hut it was John Andrews who thought it wasn’t fresh and he opened it up to be proved wrong.

Also on that film was the ghillie giving a spey casting dem in which John Andrews commented he wished he could do that but that it was suitable only for floating lines or just possibly sink tips. How times have changed.

· Registered
4,954 Posts
John Andrews
Can‘t remember the name of the film , but the Earn fish led him a merry dance.
Had to cut the wee treble out.
“ Now here’s a handy stone "
John Andrews A Game fishing year. Filmed about 43 years ago as my son is in it. It shows how the attitude to the salmon fishing has changed as well as the numbers. We could still catch fish in almost any conditions then.
Bob.

· Registered
4,954 Posts
I fished a couple of times on the Earn with John after he made that video.
Turned out a bit of a character who liked a drink.:D
I need to dig out the video, it's been a while, but I seem to recall on the film a young Goosander landing a fish for him around the abandoned weir?
Bob still fishes that very beat.
You are right there Tom. My son and i went down the river to give John the pool to himself. My son [10 years old} hooked a 14 lbs. bar of silver which rested in the water until the film crew arrived. I well remember Johns opening words. "Well done Barry i was just coming down to fish that pool"
Wonder what John would think of the river now if he saw how few fish we get.
Bob.

· Registered
5,074 Posts
Agreed, a different time and was just the done thing.
I seem to recall he'd fish big yellow and orange tubes at the back end to 'antagonise the big cock fish'.

The discussion over the fish was him. A big debate, analysing the fish, looking at vent, gills, belly, at length before opening it up. He was happy to admit he was wrong.

· Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John Andrews A Game fishing year. Filmed about 43 years ago as my son is in it. It shows how the attitude to the salmon fishing has changed as well as the numbers. We could still catch fish in almost any conditions then.
Bob.
One of the reasons I would like to watch it again is I remember it bringing me back to a more simply time of salmon fishing in my youth, a box of flies , scissors and rod and reel and a spool of maxima.
I miss the simplicity of how salmon fishing used to be , I try and remind myself less is more but it so easy to get wrapped up in the commercial aspect of it all these days.
I'd say that man carried some great knowledge he was a fine overhead caster

1 - 18 of 18 Posts