Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need some advice. I have Abu (not abu garcia, but the old abu) ambassadeur 5000 and 6000. I use them most for coastal sea trout fishing, but sometimes use the 6000 for salmon, but it feels a bit too weak.

What would you consider the equivalent model and size from other makers?

Okuma?

Daiwa (millionaire maybe, but what size?)

Shimano (calcutta?)

Penn??

Vintage reels of brands long gone?

Please suggest models and brands. Only round multipliers, none of that american bass low profile stuff, that looks horrible. A reel should be round and big.

Really thankful for all suggestions.

· Registered
211 Posts
Hi Wong,
For Penn you could have a look at the 515 mag. Same or similar capacity as a 6000 but much more robust.
Also have a look at a brand called Akios, I've not used them but they have a decent track record.
Shimano reels are very nicely engineered and the Calcutta is an older model.

For ideas have a look at some of the sea angling websites like Veals mail order, Gerrys fishing and Glasgow angling centre.
Cheers
Mike

· Registered
269 Posts
The Abu Ambassadeur 6000 pretty much dominated the market in the late-1960s to early-1980s, and I suspect as many big salmon have been caught on those reels as pretty much every other multiplier put together.

I really would NOT worry about it “feeling a bit weak”: its an absolutely classic design and piece of machinery!

· Registered
9,725 Posts
The joint best Atlantic salmon I ever landed spinning (the other was spinning a prawn with bigger fish on fly) was a 28lb licer from the Teith.
Caught on a red and gold devon fished off an Ambassadeur 6001.
The same reel easily subdued Kings on the Togiak way over that weight with the best, described by the guide as a Kenwood Bumper, tipping the scales at a tad over 50lbs
The fish were never at any time out of control and the reel performed absolutely smoothly and efficiently. Weak it was not. By no stretch of the imagination.
For the odd occasion that I now spin, I have a rather snazzy, low profile D.A.M. Quick. Its a super wee reel, super smooth and plenty enough for what I need..
The 6001 has long been retired in the fishing cupboard.:)

· Registered
646 Posts
That old Abu 6000 is made of quality components which will still be working long after the newer modern reels are long gone.
I would strip it down, clean and lube it for another 40 plus years of pleasure.

WM

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you gents. I have now stripped it down, put it thru the parts washer and given it a light coat of lube on the saddle, and light machine oil on the spinning parts.

Also bought a 7000... You know the feeling and lure of shiny new kit..

· Registered
63 Posts
Hi, I need some advice. I have Abu (not abu garcia, but the old abu) ambassadeur 5000 and 6000. I use them most for coastal sea trout fishing, but sometimes use the 6000 for salmon, but it feels a bit too weak.

What would you consider the equivalent model and size from other makers?

Okuma?

Daiwa (millionaire maybe, but what size?)

Shimano (calcutta?)

Penn??

Vintage reels of brands long gone?

Please suggest models and brands. Only round multipliers, none of that american bass low profile stuff, that looks horrible. A reel should be round and big.

Really thankful for all suggestions.
Shimano trinidad 14.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.