Salmon Fishing Forum banner

More cheap hooks....

939 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  noeyedeer 
#1 · (Edited)
Decided to venture a punt on some of the ultra-cheap hooks available online (following success with the carp chod hook for intruders at a peanuts price - see other thread)

Got these this morning, don't know if they'd hold an angry oversize springer but look ok for a spot of summer grilse fishing whilst compensating for my propensity to lose flies on rocks, weed, whatever.

3 weeks lead time for delivery

See less See more
#2 ·
Tied up a couple of Lower Durris (****ey ******) variants for an idea of how these look vs regular Salar

Certainly v sharp as my finger can testify! Takes a bit of re-bending ok to achieve a v angle of choice and seems to be stable when tied up.

#6 · (Edited)
I agree these may not compare as an ultimate hook nor appeal to the aesthetics for some, but actually I've a very wide range of both Trout & Salmon hooks and these Are better than I was expecting!

Very sharp and seem to be strong

PS: My Oracle Scandi was £40 delivered (in the Cliff Harvey sale) and reel also £40. 2nd hand Mackenzie G2 head £20! Outfit for £100

Rather spend the money on days on a decent river, so long as the fly is in the water etc....

Appreciate the comments tho guys

#7 ·
On a less sparse Sh*tey theme, decided I prefer a bit of up-eye. Haven't found a duff hook yet in this batch, all points razor sharp!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.