Salmon Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
15,400 Posts
I suspect the indignation on the thread has more to do with a general discomfort over the lbgt issue as a whole , rather than a particular concern for female safety in toilets.

And I can’t help but wonder how many more sexual assaults are carried out in unisex toilets which are far more common in Europe and elsewhere than in the generally segregated toilets in this country ?
Anyone ?

· Registered
5,408 Posts
I suspect the indignation on the thread has more to do with a general discomfort over the lbgt issue as a whole , rather than a particular concern for female safety in toilets.

And I can’t help but wonder how many more sexual assaults are carried out in unisex toilets which are far more common in Europe and elsewhere than in the generally segregated toilets in this country ?
Anyone ?
Not in my case

· Registered
5,211 Posts

Have a read. Violence against women and girls - VAWG - is shocking. It dwarfs any concerns I have about gender recognition certificates - and it should most people, to be honest. I really do wish all the fear of, and hatred towards, trans women and what they might do was redirected towards the men that ARE doing it. Statistically, women have more to fear from their partner than a man dressed as a woman in the loo.

I can’t get angry about gender recognition until this has changed. It doesn’t make sense.
It isn't about the "genuine" trans men/women.

The fear that women that I know have is of a pervert using loose/easy legislation to gain easy access to places where women feel vulnerable, e.g. just themselves and Mr P E Vert in a quiet toilet one night.

Yes, obviously there are lots of other situations where men can and do abuse women (and vice versa) but that doesn't stop a lot of women being uncomfortable with men who are still physically men gaining access to women's loos, locker rooms etc with great ease.

Fine for you if you are not worried but plenty of women are.

· Registered
11,846 Posts
It isn't about the "genuine" trans men/women.

The fear that women that I know have is of a pervert using loose/easy legislation to gain easy access to places where women feel vulnerable, e.g. just themselves and Mr P E Vert in a quiet toilet one night.

Yes, obviously there are lots of other situations where men can and do abuse women (and vice versa) but that doesn't stop a lot of women being uncomfortable with men who are still physically men gaining access to women's loos, locker rooms etc with great ease.

Fine for you if you are not worried but plenty of women are.
I understand and empathise with those that are worried. I just wish the campaigning vigour of gender critical feminists could be put behind the bigger issue driving their concerns. Say 100 predatory men a year take advantage of their new ability to enter female spaces. No. Say one a day. That’s 365 assaults or rapes. In an average year, 618,000 women are raped or assaulted.

Say two men dress up as women a day and rape someone. It’s STILL a drop in an ocean.

So it’s not like I’m sitting here thinking a few more assaults can’t hurt. Of course I’m not. I’m just bewildered that all of our attention is over there, on the men that might pretend to be women - and not on the men that right now, aren’t. We all only have so much campaigning energy in us. I’m genuinely dismayed at this being what society looks like in 2022. Accepting that men can be dangerous, fearing that they’ll dress up as women to assault someone in a loo. They’re doing alright without that freedom. Why are we so focused on what might happen, in small number, rather than what IS happening, in large number?

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have a few concerns about this bill, Polls were showing that between 70% and 75% of the public were against the reform bill but the MSPs of different parties or at least their leaders cracked the whip to vote it through despite public opinion.
The fact that ANYONE can vote in favour to allow a grown man to enter a toilet or changing room where 8 or 10 year old girls are is just sick and perverted, it has nothing to do with the gay or lesbian community.
There are already cases where boys have been taking photos under the cubical doors of mixed toilets,
Probably for a couple of hundred years we have had boys toilets and girls toilets and now because of a very tiny minority, our politicians have decided we need to change.
This is a bill to protect the rights of pervs not the general public.

· Registered
511 Posts
I have a few concerns about this bill, Polls were showing that between 70% and 75% of the public were against the reform bill but the MSPs of different parties or at least their leaders cracked the whip to vote it through despite public opinion.
The vast majority of the hated tories, the Conservative party, voted against the Bill

· Registered
2,765 Posts

Anyone ?
Not it my case. Everyone has the right to make a choice to live as they see fit and in response to their own physical, mental and spiritual well being. The only proviso is that it should not be at the expense of another whether they are in the minority or majority. That should be what the law allows and why we do have a more tolerant country than many others even though it has a long way yet to go.

The issue is not what this new law enables for those that need it. The issue is that it does not provide any protection from those that would abuse it or for those that need protection from it for their own well being be that someone who suffers from anxiety or someone that is recovering from abuse from the opposite sex. For evidence I refer to the links I added to my previous post. If someone will do so in an environment where being caught is near 100%, then it would be inane to assume that the same won’t happen in public spaces.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
This legislation is going to cause serious problems. Has no-one heard of autogynephilia and gender dysphoria? These are two well-recognised medical conditions, the latter much more common. Let me tell you all about a case related to me by a doctor recently. A kid thinks she should be a boy and acts like a tomboy. She has her emerging breasts removed. Years later, after puberty, she realises she is happy being a woman and wants to have children. But now she cannot suckle them. There is a high risk this will happen to some child in Scotland soon as a result of the GRA. The only hope is that the BMA establish certain protocols which override this crazy, ghastly legislation.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts