Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
11,992 Posts
I add some text. I tie some flies using what could be called 'flat wing' style. This simplifies a mallard wing by selecting a well formed flank feather. Next you strip away some of the herl fibers until you have the size needed. Now you tie the feather on whole, quill and all. If you have it right there should e an equal amount of fiber on either side of the quill.

To allow you to easily place the feather dead center atop the hook I run the quill right through the eye of the hook and then lash the feather down with the thread.

What you end up with is a very durable wing that acts as a planer of sorts. The feather will collapse when in current but does so evenly and I believe this helps keep things hook point down.

That pheasant rump throat is done the same way. One rump feather stripped to proper length and then lashed fast quill and all. Like the wing these throat feathers stay intact until the fly has been well ravaged by a number of fish ;)

Here's a look at a wing on a different fly.
View attachment 89071
The wing is made from mallard I dyed long ago before I had the internet to aid in finding real bronze flank. The color seems to appeal to fish as the flies still work.
Thanks for that bit of information Ard. Mallard wings are something I struggle with, even flat wings, so I'll study that in more detail later. 👍

Reactions: Hardyreels

· Registered
11,992 Posts
If you fellows had the patience to watch a video I could make one, it'll be a long winter. I would build the body first and begin the video when the wing and throat were about to be prepared and applied to the hook. I'm quite serious about the durability and the balance that the flat wing provides to a fly when using single hooks as in the pictures.

I've become a tube and double tier but there are times when I still tie on a small single. They make casting seem as if there is nothing attached to the leader. Sometimes if the wind is up and I can't spot the little splat of the fly landing I have to check every few casts to be sure they are still there :)
I'm not usually a fan of videos but I'd certainly watch that one to get a better idea of your method. 🙂

Reactions: Hardyreels
1 - 2 of 2 Posts