Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Loop Opti Power Spey 14ft #9/10 - questions

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  John Keane 
#1 ·
Looking to treat myself to a better quality double-hander than my Greys X-Flite 14ft #9.

Through various sites my eye has been taken by a Loop Opti Power Spey 14’ #9/10.

So, questions:

Will it perform well with Rio Short Head Spey 9/10 and Scandi VersiTip #9 (don’t really want to go through the expense of buying new lines yet)?

What is the action like, say, compared to the Greys which, to be fair has a nice action with the above lines?

Would it be a better fit for a somewhat indifferent caster than, say, a Sage Graphite III 14ft #9 or a Hardy Jet Sintrix 14ft #9/10?

Thanks, in advance for any comments.

#2 ·
Jet sintrix is a lovely rod and excells with both heads and Spey lines,
Options power Spey is also a cracking rod but ifound was better with going up line rating to get the best from it.
My opinion,and had both is jet syntrix.
The x flite is a nice summer rod but found it didn't have the power needed for spring and autumn when using sinking heads and the fastest sinking 10/15 foot tips,struggled and to much hard work involved.
Hope this helps john

#3 ·
Thanks longchuck, that's the sort of advice, from someone who's owned both rods, that is very useful. To be honest I am only an occasional salmon fisher and the earliest I have ever been out was early April on Tulchan. My main trip of the year is Pitchroy in late May and that's been full floater with a short sinking tip.

For the sums of money involved and the sheer pleasure of nostalgia, I have a soft spot for the Sage, (not to mention £150 difference in price.)

Norris' think the Sage is more powerful than the Greys or the Hardy, but with a deeper action, which may well suit my speycasting efforts.

I think I'll rule out the Opti Power as it could involve me upgrading to 3 heavier Rio lines and piling on more expense.

#4 ·
I've owned the the opti power spey 14ft in the past.
Nice progressive action and very very powerful.
As for lines, it all depends on your own preferences. I was casting a 8/9 afs and found it superb but a 9/10 is great if you prefer a deeper load. Sure that it can cast a 10/11 but not my taste.
Very nice rod with shooting heads

#6 ·
For me the 14ft is the pick of the PowerSpey bunch. I’m just your average caster, but for me over-lining to an AFS 10/11 brings an easier action, a powerhouse of a rod, but I have to admit it now only comes out in the Spring/Autumn, however every time I use it I love it and think I should use it more

#7 ·
Just as a postscript to this thread, I bought the Jet Sintrix 14’ and absolutely love it!

I’ve got a bit more ambitious with my casting and now use a Gaelforce Equaliser 54ft head on it and it absolutely flies out! The outfit accounted for a nice 11lb Spey springer last month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.