Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Kayak Recommendation

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  iainmortimer 
#1 ·
I am about to buy my first kayak and am needing some help deciding between these Two....

1. Sea Eagle 330

2. Sevylor Quikpak K1

What would you all go with?

#6 ·
I have an older version of the Sevylor, use it in the sea, and like it.
It wont get you around as fast as a solid kayak, but it works fine for me.
You also wont be able to fit it out with as much kit as some of the solid kayaks, which may be no bad thing: just take one rod, and concentrate of fishing that, and keeping out of trouble.
But its not for big waves or white water!

#7 · (Edited)
I own a SeaEagle 420 inflatable it is a higher pressure boat than the 330, I also have a Hobie outback (used) that gets more use. Inflatables are good if transporting or storage is a issue, but they will not perform and paddle like a ridged sit on top boat. With that said I made a 3/8" marine plywood floor for my inflatable to give it more support under me and to support gear and I like it for faster rivers and use the hobie for open water fishing (fresh and salt). I started with and still own and use the seaeagle, but I eventually ended up with a hard boat for performance and ease of use. Hope this helps, you did not say what type of or where you plan on fishing. I fly fish mostly, fresh and salt, large rivers, lakes, and bays. Out of your two choices I would only consider the seaeagle 330 the other looks to be only a swimming pool toy and mind you the 330 is not much more than that in my honest opinion.

#9 ·
Scupper Pro all the way if you can find a second hand one, especially if you are going to use it on the sea. RTM tempo is the same kayak. If money is not a problem, the Kaskazi Dorado is amazing, or Kaskazi Marlin if you aren't gonna keep a lot of fish. Marlin is lighter too for car topping.

#10 ·
Ocean Kayak’s Prowler 13 is a good model or if you want to step up to something bigger then check out the Trident. Both very stable and track well making for a good first kayak. You can often find great deals on second hand yaks too.

At the other end of the price scale are Hobie kayak which give you the option to up the speed considerably using peddle power or even to fit an electric motor. Definitely at the expensive end of things but brilliant bits of kit.

Don’t ignore inflatable kayaks either. They have the best stability of all due to the big side walls, are relatively light and take up minimal space for transport, but still robust as they are made from the same material as ribs. The offset is that being inflatable you can’t add rod holder or fish finders easily and they catch the wind more but are still decent bits of kit. Gumotex and Seyvlor are the brands to look for. These are also the best value.

I personally own and use both a Prowler 13 and Gumotex inflatable in the sea and can recommend both. Please also think of safety though and if you go solo get a waterproof VHF radio, life jacket and compass as a bare minimum.

#11 ·
To get more fishing options during the first lockdown I decided to buy a kayak. I wanted an inflatable type for easier transport and my first option was the Gumotex but finally I bought the Waterside which was almost half the price. The first outing was horrible with good wind and lots of waves. Paddling was okay but fishing close to impossible. I bought a bar and two pontoons that are fitted behind the seat so that it is a catamaran now. Now it is quite stable and paddling is still fine. I also bought and anchor and a fish finder. (that I have not tried yet) So I am ready for real fishing now. The set up takes 10 minutes maximum so I think that I made the right decision. If transport is not a problem I would opt for the rigid version however.
Icelander05

#12 ·
Depends what you want to do with it and where you want to go.

I bought one of these last year, but never got to use it due to pandemic, but this may be worth considering depending on your needs.

https://www.orvis.com/p/outcast-stealth-pro/15b3

I also have a Hobie Outback 2019 for sea fishing, again it depends what you are going to use it for.

Boat Sports equipment Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Plant

#16 ·
Hi all,

I have a Seaeagle 435 PS which is in effect a narrow rib. Sadly one of the tubes has failed and I'm in the market for something to replace it - I've seen Saturn's KaBoat and it looks pretty good and a fair bit cheaper than the sea eagle which was over a brand new. Can anyone recommend a decent inflatable kayak (not the thin Nylon things everyone's been out on of late)?

Thanks in advance

#17 ·
Hi all,

I have a Seaeagle 435 PS which is in effect a narrow rib. Sadly one of the tubes has failed and I'm in the market for something to replace it - I've seen Saturn's KaBoat and it looks pretty good and a fair bit cheaper than the sea eagle which was over a brand new pump for inflatable boats and sups. Can anyone recommend a decent inflatable kayak (not the thin Nylon things everyone's been out on of late)?

Thanks in advance
no response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.