Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Just 240,000

Tags
000 240
2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  (Smolt) 
#1 ·
#3 ·
so roughly, stocks are running at 16% of the seventies high water mark.

its great to see that the IFI has 12 new RIBs but i think updating the fisheries protection laws to cover confiscation and auction of vehicles and boats, would likely do much more to protect Salmon and Trout in inshore waters.

likewise the banning of pair trawling and the netting of mullet.

#8 ·
;) How can this be when the banning of the nets a decade ago was meant to deliver "Jam tomorrow" :rolleyes:

Bizzarely the "guesstimated" numbers, whilst quite possibly hysterical cobblers, are inversely proportional to the population increase in Ireland (human, coo and sheep) and the increase in synchem usage...

#12 ·
12 new boats ...all they need now is petrol and staff if the budget allows for such..that's the usual excuse every year.also with modern means of communications and tracking devices it is now easier for certain sectors to alert each other of such boats whereabouts at any giving time...
I had a demo of drone technology on a river lately and it is astonishing the speed they can travel and the distance s they can travel and the clarity of picture...
3 mile distance if I remember correctly....could be also used for surveillance of poaching..and cost less than ribs.
Salmon figures are just a big old guess ....best if we anglers and ifi turn or attention to water quality which we seem to forget about ..we look out to sea and blame the unknown while filth and chemicals flows past us from out dated council treatment plants....time to ask the public to think about every time they throw chemicals down there sinks ..shampoos ..cleaning products etc etc...I remember in the 80s the river beds would be crystal clean and the gravel would be soft and clean .now they resemble compacted cement and seem leached..a bad combination for spawning in and insect life...no one seems to be tackling this particular issue ..and it's the one issue we can actually get results from..

#13 ·
Yep, biggest issue without doubt, water quality is nose diving and the amount of suitable habitat has diminished. EPA give us a rough idea of the state of catchments but they don't want to blow the whistle too loud. Ireland is a small place, between Irish water and the councils everyone knows everyone and nobody wants to stick their head above the parapet.

I know a guy who is an angler and used to complain and wonder about the water quality in a local river, same fella was an engineer in the council, got put in charge of the sewage treatment plants in the area. I highlighted a water quality issue to him below a treatment plant which fell on deaf ears.

I'm just glad we are answerable to someone as if it wasn't for the EU putting standards in place I don't think there would be any.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.