Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am On the look out for a new jc cape but what am seeing is ludicrous prices for at the best grade B capes. Considering suppliers here are buying in batchs of grade B capes for between $20 and $25 then selling them here for £55 to £60 it would put me off buying any capes now greed is a bad thing.

· Registered
852 Posts
They have to charge those prices at the end of the day it’s their livelihood they are running a business , paying staff, rent etc.
It’s not nice but that’s just the way the cookie crumbles .

· Registered
675 Posts
I do have Grade B but only dyed as the rules on natural colour don’t apply. They were cheaper than the prices you quote. My last two Grade A Natural capes were between £75-85 in UK. These were purchased directly from the vendors. One was at the Gamefair and one from a shop. The last purchase was two years ago. As one poster noted above you get what you pay for with JC.

To be clear, by Grade A I mean good sharp colouring (no fading), no splits and the majority of feathers in the smallish - large (the percentage can vary depending legitimately depending on whether you are mainly a trout or salmon tier) with a minimum of tiny pin or large flat heads. In my experience you won’t pay materially less for that in UK and I have seen then around £100. I have also seen some advertised as Super Grade A but I’m not sure of the providence of that term.

I’d be sceptical about buying one unseen unless it was from a known acquaintance or repeat business. As for on-line bargains, the camera may never lie, but the person showing you a picture of something different from what you will get might.

Regards

NHP

· Registered
1,191 Posts
If you are looking to buy on ebay I have found Scalytail's capes are good and you get exactly what you see. He is UK based and sells by auction and has a number of capes up at the moment. All of his capes have an identifying number in the form of a picture of a rat.
Some of the other capes on ebay are completely overpriced. At least with an auction you get to bid what you are willing to pay and if you try a few times you may get it cheaper than you think.

· Registered
5,028 Posts
If you are looking to buy on ebay I have found Scalytail's capes are good and you get exactly what you see. He is UK based and sells by auction and has a number of capes up at the moment. All of his capes have an identifying number in the form of a picture of a rat.
Some of the other capes on ebay are completely overpriced. At least with an auction you get to bid what you are willing to pay and if you try a few times you may get it cheaper than you think.
I agree have bought from him in the past as he used to sell as buy it now , quality was good

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
cape arrived today , pleased with it good colour and plenty nails imo worth 60 quid

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I would certainly pay the 60 quid for that quality of cape. I got a cape at a reasonable price so that will do me for now. i see capes on ebay for £86 they are the same quality as the one you just purchased.

· Registered
5,028 Posts
I would certainly pay the 60 quid for that quality of cape. I got a cape at a reasonable price so that will do me for now. i see capes on ebay for £86 they are the same quality as the one you just purchased.
yeah I'm pleased with it for sure , he has more I think all look equal quality to mine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.