Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , hope you all had a great Christmas and wish you a good new year
I've personally had the year from hell but that's another story
I'm determined to make 2023 much better
How about another revival of the once popular fly swaps ? , it's been a while since the last one
Usual protocol around 10 to 12 people
Pattern to be randomly chosen each month

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How about another revival of the once popular fly swaps ? , it's been a while since the last one
Oh well , lead and balloon comes to mind , this forum really has gone to the dogs 馃ズ

Registered
Sorry Wormo. I meant to reply to this thread but got sidetracked and forgot.

I took part in the swaps for many years and was glad to see someone trying to get them going again.

Unfortunately participation in the swaps dwindled towards the end. At one time, you couldn't guarantee a spot in them. There was a group of members who tried to keep them going but if one or two couldn't take part, for whatever reason, there didn't seem to be any one else looking to get involved.

I probably couldn't take part in January anyway but perhaps it might be worth trying one later in the spring when more people are getting stuff ready for their own boxes again?

The swaps, along with TOTMs, brought my own tying on so much over the years and I'd quite like to see them on the go again.

Thanks for trying to get them going again.

Registered
Not the best time of year to drum up interest I think Craig.
The forum is pretty dead at the moment. But with Christmas and new year out of the way and a fresh season about to kick off I expect everyone鈥檚 interest to pick up.
Hopefully see the fly swap back in action soon.
Im hopefully going to get some time at the vice over the next couple of days. I鈥檝e got some spring flies in my head I want to give a go.

Registered
Just thought of one new problem - Brexit - sending 10 flies in the post from the UK to any EU country now requires a customs declaration and may attract VAT and clearance charges on receipt. Any commercial item attracts VAT and an earlier exemption of 鈧150 no longer applies.
It looks like the get-out-of-jail card is if it is declared as a gift with under 鈧45 value it is vat exempt. The Irish rules are set out here and I imagine that there are similar rules elsewhere in the EU. It can be a bit hit-and-miss with customs but it is a major pain in the arse. Thanks Borris.
Does anyone know what the position is on the way into the UK now and are the rules actually being enforced?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts