Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Dogs

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Jack Holroyd 
#1 ·
Have any of you good chaps and chappesses had a dog with this condition and if you did how was it managed?

Been struggling with this since my springer, Meg, was diagnosed back in May. June was tough as I almost lost her after an invasive biopsy which bizzarely caused her to get the dreaded bloat the next day. We (the vets and I) caught that in time, but only just.

Things were improving since then with high dose steroids and until a week ago I'd managed to almost get her back up to weight again. 3 weeks ago my vets again reduced her steroid intake to one every second day. Since a week ago0 her disease has flaired up again and I'm literally back to square one with a springer that's skin and bone again.

I'm tearing my hair out and yet me vets are determined that she's coming off steroids in just over week. I suspect she'll have keeled over of starvation by then. I'm managing to get a load of cooked chicken breasts down her again since yesterday, bit no sign of improvement.

Any input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I have a male springer dog who carries no weight at all just muscle and bones-fit as a flea but his movements are generally loose to the point that its almost yellow watwer sometimes. the vets aren't particularly concerned but he just doesn'nt put weight on and he eats like a horse. Its obviously not the same as your dog but I have never had a springer as thin

#3 ·
Know ALL about the yellow water LP!

Meg was 19.5kg of rippling muscle before all this started - she was 12.9 at her lowest, Got her up to 17.5 but she's lost a bit again. She seems to have settled a bit today and is back eating like a horse.

If I were you, I think I'd be tempted to ask for a second opinion, if only just to put your mind at rest.

Even at her worse my springer is still bouncing about and would walk/run for miles if I let her.

#4 ·
Hi Westfield, we used to get this a lot with our working sheepdogs....the only dogs more manic than spaniels! We used to feed “porridge” to the poorly skittery ones...big pot of milled oatmeal and water left in bottom of aga overnight. Improved their condition immensely...coats got better and they got a real shine to them as well as helping their digestion. Takes a minimum of four weeks...you might have to start with some added nice bits for a start....best going to hambro or “mealie shop” for the oatmeal.
Also be careful of where they drink their water.
Hope it helps!

#6 ·
Have you tried her on Chappie wet food? My Springer had pancreatic enzyme deficiency and very few villi in his small intestine. Most things went right through him - he's the reason I have no carpets downstairs, but Chappie, he could tolerate at his worst. Very low fat, white fish, slow release carbs. It's not great quality but it maintained him at skeletal weight, at least.

#7 ·
Hi Jonjon and Dee

Porridge would currently appear to be 'out' for her system doesn't seem to deal with any type of grains at all. Before all this started, she was on Harbro Working Dog food - and did great on it!

Funnily enough, she was on chappie on the run up to her diagnosis. The vets suggested wet puppy food to build her back up again and she was doing great on that.

Vet's relented and are keeping her on steroids for a wee bit longer. They also suspected she may have picked up a bug and fired her onto antibiotics. So far so good, her appetite is back and no more sickness and skitters for the time being.

It's a shame as I'd managed to really build her back up again pre this recent bad flare up.

Can't remember her vlli count, but it was very low and even what was left was damaged. They do grow back to an extent I believe.

#8 ·
Henry's villi never got the chance to grow back as he was constantly eating stuff that gave him raging diarrhoea. The enzyme deficiency meant he was perpetually ravenous and would eat ANYTHING. Other dog's poo was a particular favourite, but really - anything. He had to be walked with a basket muzzle on in the end, which he hated, little treasure - but it was either that or stay on lead. He got bloat once eating a load of fermenting rice from a ditched Chinese takeaway. Bless that stupid beautiful dog. I really miss him. Beautiful Springer boy.

Chappie is all I've got. I hope Meg recovers soon - 1 step forward, 2 steps back... Very frustrating for you x

#9 ·
It's funny that you should mention the bloat! My vet's are still mystified with Meg getting bloat as there are no markers for it in springers. Now, here we have two springers both with digestive disorders who've both had bloat.

Make's one think that there may be others out there?

#10 ·
When I took him in as an emergency after hours they said he won’t have bloat, Springers don’t get bloat and anyway look at him he’s right as rain (he was the HAPPIEST sunniest waggiest dog). Yes, but LOOK at him. Look at his stomach and gums... He was on the table in 10 minutes. He was quite a deep chested dog though, which I don’t think meg is.

I always thought Henry’s was a combination of his gorging and never ever ever sitting still.

#11 ·
When I took him in as an emergency after hours they said he won't have bloat, Springers don't get bloat and anyway look at him he's right as rain (he was the HAPPIEST sunniest waggiest dog). Yes, but LOOK at him. Look at his stomach and gums... He was on the table in 10 minutes. He was quite a deep chested dog though, which I don't think meg is.

I always thought Henry's was a combination of his gorging and never ever ever sitting still.
Hi Dee

Can't say the same for Meg when the bloat started, I've never seen a dog go down hill so quickly. And I mean in increments of minutes. 40 mins from being waggy tailed to being unable to walk and clearly in severe pain. As you said at the time, bloat is a nightmare!!

Have got the wee girl stabilised atm, however although she's eating well, no weight is going on. I'm starting to accept the idea that our time together may be coming to an end. Severe IBD although controllable (usually) can also lead to a 'failure to thrive'. Meg's looking ever that way. As long as she's happy and being a springer then I'll keep rooting for her. However, If she starts going downhill again then I may have to take the decision that's kindest for her. It'll will tear my heart out - but her well being and quality of life is the most important.

#12 ·
Well, it's been a roller coaster of a week with my wee girl.

Was in the vets for an hour tonight as they did new blood work. She's dropped 2 kg in weight in a week. Decision made to put her on high dose steroids for the forseeable and to hell with the consequences - not doing that and it was game over. Bloods showed a spike in a liver enzyme and a spike in white blood cells indicating that she may again have picked up some infection that most dogs would shake off - but Meg can't. As expected from the bloods her protein levels are through the floor again as were her red blood cells.

So, she's now back to 'shake her and she'd rattle with pills'.....however she's kept her food down and in so far and is happy and snoring on the sofa.

If this doesn't work, then there's only drug left which only has a 50/50 chance.:(

#14 ·
Cheer's pal - I know you're a 'dog' man too, and you know how much our canine companions mean to us.

I never thought I had much patience until this. I've lost count how much sick and poop I've cleared up since January. These days my main concern is that - when it happens - I reassure Meg that she hasn't done anything wrong. Bless her, she can't help it and still looks mortified when it happens. So it's clear up and give her a big cuddle.

#15 ·
Yes, love my dogs. They are a big part of my life and wouldn't be without them.
Both my border terriers are getting on a bit. The older one is 14 and is battling lymphoma
cancer. Everyday another lesion seems to appear on her back but she just carries on. She is also going blind quite rapidly in one eye and nibbles my finger when I give her a treat cos she can't see it properly.
We are hopefully going to the vets tomorrow for a checkup and see what we might expect to happen in the coming weeks or months. She has already lived longer with her condition than anyone expected.

#16 ·
Please keep me up to date on how your wee Border gets on - and I mean that! They are hardy wee buggers. My other dug is a Border (Maggie), who's coming up 12. She's doing well, slight signs of cataracts, teeth nae wonderful, yet despite the fact she's starting to stiffen up a bit will still give Meg a run for her money on a good day. Owned dogs all my life - never had one that's such a character as that wee Border!

It used to be that when i went fishing, my neighbours would have wee Maggie. They'd take her to the local pub. THEN, I'd be walking down the street with her and total strangers would come up to her, give her a hug and say'Hello Maggie'.

It's a sad fact to admit that one oh my dugs had a better social life than I had!:D:D:lol::lol::lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.