Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Ideas re site management

280 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kirsty 
#1 ·
This comes about as a result of the thread suggesting sub-dividing the classified ads.

As I said in that thread there are many more serious needs than fixing what is not broken. Here are a few ideas:

For a start a FULL set of forum rules is much needed. They should be published in ONE place and be available to all on the pull down site menu bar.

Proper moderation is also needed but I suspect difficult to implement on a site such as this. There are far too many posts in the "I've had a few jars and now I'm going to inflict my sense of humour on the web" category! Off topic posting which interferes with a thread needs dealing with and those who use someone else's thread to have a chat with one or two mates need to be told to phone/message them direct.

The general behaviour of posters is quite good and the people who need 'dealing' with are few - but so painfully obvious. I suggest that use of the 'report a post button' is used more often and that persistent offenders are given a sin-bin sentence. Those who persist after a warning and a few spells in the cooler need to be banned.

Other sites which I use have a policy which strictly prohibits posts with political, sexual or race comments or purpose. Despite the present Election thread having - at last - come around to sensible debate, I do think that these are areas which need to be monitored more closely.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Castor,

Thanks for placing your comments here in the correct forum for discussion.

Forum rules - yes good point. I will add that to my action list.

Moderation and behaviour - that is in hand - obviously a lot of this goes on 'behind the scenes' via PM's so the forum do not get to see it. There have been suspensions and bannings as I am sure you know but there could have been a lot more by now too. We do try to give members the benefit of the doubt for as long as we can, maybe too much. This is an ongoing debate internally to find the correct level of moderation.

The report a post button is used quite well currently and we do encourage others to use it - we do see and react to them on pretty much a daily basis. We definitely prefer this than individuals taking matters into their own hands on the forum and only making it worse and encouraging others to chime in and destroy otherwise good threads.

Political posts, etc - these are the root cause of much of the forums problems without a doubt and I am not sure of their future currently. I would much rather see all that passion and energy going into discussions and debates around salmon fishing topics which is the reason the forums exist after all.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Paul

#3 · (Edited)
A most useful link for the top line or pull down would be "Participated Posts"
(Applies to FFF also).

I.e A convenient link to a list of posts you have taken part in.

On Tapatalk you have this category and it serves to monitor & contribute to posts you are active on without having to subscribe, search etc.

You could make room on the browser version by getting shut of "new posts".
Why have this when all new posts are a subset of "Today's posts" (unless there been no activity today, in which case rename "Today's Posts as "Latest Posts" as seen elsewhere.......;^)

#6 ·
Subscribing to posts

A most useful link for the top line or pull down would be "Participated Posts"
(Applies to FFF also).

I.e A convenient link to a list of posts you have taken part in.

On Tapatalk you have this category and it serves to monitor & contribute to posts you are active on without having to subscribe, search etc.

You could make room on the browser version by getting shut of "new posts".
Why have this when all new posts are a subset of "Today's posts" (unless there been no activity today, in which case rename "Today's Posts as "Latest Posts" as seen elsewhere.......;^)
You can sort of do this right now by subscribing to posts you are involved in and choosing the save to profile folder which is the default. Then all you have to do is go to your profile and look under 'My Activity' for the subscriptions. Can't say I've used it myself so not sure how practical it is in daily use (maybe others can advise) but it should give the a solution for the time being anyway.

Thanks

Paul

#5 ·
Fish and Fly group emails

Hi Paul, I can guarantee we do not sell or give out emails to 3rd parties - we are the only ones who ever email our databases, albeit on behalf of 3rd party clients on occasion but you will always see Fish and Fly Ltd mentioned as owners of the sites including SFF. I have to assume the email you mention is on behalf of Thomas Turner Fly Fishing Antiques, one of our own businesses as you will see if you look at the logo which mentions it is part of the Fish and Fly group, and I also included the Fish and Fly logo in the header. You will also always find an unsubscribe option with all our emails too. Hope that clears that up.

Thanks

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.